SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-28-2014, 21:32   #1
swiftone

New member and new to me 2nd Gen G19

Hi

New to the forum, but not new to Glock pistols. Been carrying a 26 as my primary CCW gun for quite a while and love the little thing... Also have a 2nd Gen 17 and 3ed Gen 17 that I shoot on regular basis and have owned various Glock pistols over the years…

Anyway- as a huge fan of the Gen 2 Glock, I just picked up a police trade-in 2nd Gen 19 as a CCW gun and on first inspection it looks pretty good. Very little barrel bluing wear (on top of the barrel and barrel hood) and the internals look good to me…however I am not sure what to really look for! All numbers match (serial #ADHxxxUS ) and it does not look like it was used much (judging by outside wear)

So, I guess my question would be: what do I look for in the way of wear, and since I have no idea of round count or if any of the springs/parts have been replaced over the years, what springs/parts would I want to replace "sight unseen" if I were to carry this as a CCW weapon?

I do not have the pistol in front of me – going to be another 8 days before the state of Ca “allows” me to bring it home. Figure I could use this time to order out any recommended springs etc.

Thanks for any help and have a great evening

Last edited by swiftone; 12-28-2014 at 21:33..
swiftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 23:43   #2
Bruce M

Enjoy your "new" Glock. I might consider a new recoild spring assembly, otherwise if it passed the function tests I would probably lubricate it and shoot it.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 00:08   #3
Big1

Yep, I would agree with Bruce and welcome from Washington.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 00:10   #4
janice6

Welcome to GT.0

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:27   #5
cadillacguns

Change out old N/S for new, and the Recoil spring assembly. Good to go.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:57   #6
glowrod
Fightin' Fire

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:42   #7
Makoman

Swiftone, congrats on the G19. I recognize your handle from the CG website. I DROS'd a Gen2 G19 the day before you at Ammo Bros. I overpaid for it, but I don't care, they're not so easy to come by and I had been looking for a long time. So far as parts, I would replace the recoil spring assembly for sure. You can also replace the trigger return spring for peace of mind, they are only $2 a piece so when you order the RSA, you might as well order one of those as well.

If your pistol was made before 1995, it will also likely have the older style 90 degree extractor. I would probably order a couple spares. They still make them, but I'm always paranoid about parts for older guns being discontinued.

Another thing to consider as well is if your Glock was made during or before 1992. If so, it may require the 6 part "upgrade" (Glock speak for recall). Your gun will require it if it's S/N has a two letter prefix ranging from the alpha prefixes through WJ. Since yours is a police trade-in, if it falls within that range it has likely had it done. The surest way to tell is that the internals will all be black. If your S/N has a 3 letter prefix, you have no need to worry.

Scroll down to the 4th gray box under post #1. "1992, 6 part upgrade".

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287557

Walther Forum Member #55

Last edited by Makoman; 12-29-2014 at 12:01..
Makoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:06   #8
WT

Congrats on the Gen2 Glock 19. It is one of the top 5 firearms of the 20th Century. Some call it the K-frame of the semi-auto world.

Check the parts in the rear of the frame - cruciform, ejector, etc. If they are coated in black they are probably original issue. If they are silver colored they probably are the replacement parts of the 1992 Great Glock recall. (The black coating might wear/chip off, resulting in some rust.) Check with Glock to see if it received the upgrade.

Secondly, right behind the slide release there should be a little plastic piece glued to the frame. This acts as a reinforcement. Some early Glock models would crack in that area so Gaston added that piece.

Replacing the recoil spring assembly and magazine springs might be a good idea.

Last edited by WT; 12-29-2014 at 12:07..
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:23   #9
swiftone

Thank you for all your advice. Since it has a three letter prefix I am guessing it does not require the 6 part upgrade - but will double check once itis in my hands.

As for the recoil, trigger return springs and the spare extractor, I willget those ordered today. Magazines are new and I am not worried about those.

Frankly the gun felt tight and the trigger was pretty crisp – tho a bitheavier than my other three Glocks. I will just order out OEM stuff and replaceit all.

Overall the gun is much better condition than I expected - pretty much does not show its age and the only markings are where someone electro penciled an inventory number under the trigger guard.

makoman - pease send me your email...I don't have enough posts here to respond to your IM!

Last edited by swiftone; 12-29-2014 at 12:37..
Old 12-29-2014, 17:42   #10
Buckeye63

Im a BIG Gen 2 fan...I just like'm

General Glocking
General Glocking
General Glocking
General Glocking
Buckeye63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 17:55   #11
bac1023

and congrats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 20:12   #12
Catshooter

swiftone,

Congratulations on your purchase. I am a large fan of the gen 2 19, have been since my first in '88.

Here's what I do when I pick up a new to me gen 2 (which I have been known to do).

If I am going to carry the weapon, then I replace every spring in it. Right on down to the slide lock spring. That spring is used more than any other spring in the pistol during firing.

Night sights.

I also replace the trigger assembly. Now I use the one for the 17 because I like a smooth trigger. But that's not what's important. Where the trigger return spring hooks to the trigger bar Glock has recently changed and it's a real improvement in how it holds the spring. The old bars let two sharp edges ride against the spring and could lead to it's failure.

Twenty five cent trigger job, by hand. No Dremel work needed or wanted.

Because replacing all the springs entails a full detail strip I also get to examine each and every part for cracks, whatever.

All in all it's some work and takes me a good hour. But I kinda feel like my life is worth it.

Good luck with your new piece!

Cat
Old 12-29-2014, 20:36   #13
swiftone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
All in all it's some work and takes me a good hour. But I kinda feel like my life is worth it.
Cat

Guessing I can spare an hour out of my day...for the same reasons!

Got a list of the parts I will be buying, but I think I will wait till it is in hand for a complete tear down inspection before sending off for parts.

Any preferred place to buy replacement parts? Site sponsor perhaps?

And thank you to the guys that sent me IMís Ė sorry I canít respond till I have the required 10 posts...
Old 12-29-2014, 20:49   #14
Catshooter

I use LoneWolf. They have never been late or screwed up an order.

A point made by one of the posters above; the gen 2 21 90 degree extractor is no longer made by Glock. The slide has to be sent to Glock and milled for a new extractor if one is needed.

That's not happening to this mother's son. Even in todays inflationary times parts are a cheap insurance in my tiny little mind and I have at least enough to replace each part of my Glock three times. Probably never happen, but I could just see someone like Hitlary making it illegal for anyone but FFLs to buy parts or some such. You know, for the children.

Cat
Old 12-29-2014, 20:56   #15
CourtCop

Definitely replace the slide lock spring. I had that fail on my Gen 2 19 a year or two ago. I've had it since 1997 and had replaced the usual springs over the years. Just never thought to replace the slide lock spring. Luckily it failed while at the range as the slide slid right off the frame and it is my duty gun.

Last edited by CourtCop; 12-29-2014 at 21:17..
CourtCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 21:01   #16
Catshooter

For an education on just how heavily worked the slide lock spring is find a slow motion video of the pistol firing and watch the slide lock. I had no idea. That puppy gets compressed three to five times each shot.

Cat
Old 12-30-2014, 08:11   #17
WT

Just a thought ....

Standby while I get my mind in motion.

Last edited by WT; 12-30-2014 at 08:13..
WT is offline   Reply With Quote