Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2012, 14:22   #1
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

XKCD star of Bethlehem.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/

Score one more for science over religious doctrine.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 14:23   #2
LawScholar

I'm not even religious, but I say score one for classless, pointless needling of others' beliefs.
Old 12-18-2012, 15:26   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar View Post
I'm not even religious, but I say score one for classless, pointless needling of others' beliefs.
How much reason needs to support a belief for it to be entitled to respect?
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 16:04   #4
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
It's my ardent belief that religion is not above ridicule. RESPECT MY BELIEFS!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 17:22   #5
LawScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
How much reason needs to support a belief for it to be entitled to respect?
I don't care if my neighbor believes in a giant benevolent pheasant that farts lollipops, unless he is a dick to me I'll keep my ridicule to myself. They're called manners. My parents raised me with them.
Old 12-18-2012, 19:05   #6
Roering
Sorting nuts

On December 25 of 2 BC as it entered retrograde, Jupiter reached full stop in its travel through the fixed stars. Magi viewing from Jerusalem would have seen it stopped in the sky above the little town of Bethlehem.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 23:10   #7
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
On December 25 of 2 BC as it entered retrograde, Jupiter reached full stop in its travel through the fixed stars. Magi viewing from Jerusalem would have seen it stopped in the sky above the little town of Bethlehem.
Among other problems with this scenario, how would the Magi have met with Herod the Great in 2BC?
Old 12-19-2012, 00:18   #8
Vic Hays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Among other problems with this scenario, how would the Magi have met with Herod the Great in 2BC?
According to the Bible, the Magi did not arrive anonymously in Jerusalem, but were asking where the king of the Jews was born. This intrigued Herod because he was being very careful to guard his throne and ruler ship. All Jerusalem was troubled by them. Herod called the meeting with them after he had consulted with the religious leaders about where the child was to be born. He hoped to find this threat to his rule and destroy Him by using the Magi to find Him.

Matthew 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
Matthew 2:3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.

Matthew 2:7 Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.

Matthew 2:12 And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:30   #9
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
According to the Bible, the Magi did not arrive anonymously in Jerusalem, but were asking where the king of the Jews was born. This intrigued Herod because he was being very careful to guard his throne and ruler ship. All Jerusalem was troubled by them. Herod called the meeting with them after he had consulted with the religious leaders about where the child was to be born. He hoped to find this threat to his rule and destroy Him by using the Magi to find Him.
My point was more that the "star" cited in the last post was supposed to have been visible in 2BCE, while Herod died in 4BCE.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01   #10
Vic Hays

The star being followed by the naysayers is a lot of assumptions about nothing to ridicule the Biblical account.

Misery longs for company. I am not going to join with the miserable that have abandoned all hope except for the hope that they can get those of faith to join them in their misery.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Old 12-19-2012, 14:41   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I don't care if my neighbor believes in a giant benevolent pheasant that farts lollipops, unless he is a dick to me I'll keep my ridicule to myself. They're called manners. My parents raised me with them.
Well then, you should try living in America and not being a christian - by your standard, we don't need to keep our ridicule to ourselves.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 15:01   #12
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
The star being followed by the naysayers is a lot of assumptions about nothing to ridicule the Biblical account.
And the above complaint is a lot of butthurt over science having shown the biblical account to be wrong.
Old 12-19-2012, 16:24   #13
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
My point was more that the "star" cited in the last post was supposed to have been visible in 2BCE, while Herod died in 4BCE.
Apparently, jesus was not the only zombie in the bible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 18:15   #14
Vic Hays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
And the above complaint is a lot of butthurt over science having shown the biblical account to be wrong.
Just because you would like to prove the Biblical account wrong does not mean that a bunch of erroneous assumption are right.

Are you that miserable that you want everyone who has faith to join you in your misery?

Old 12-19-2012, 19:13   #15
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Historians, Religious & Secular, of both the modern age and prior put his death at 1 BC.

More on the subject.

http://www.hope-of-israel.org/herodsdeath.html

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie

Last edited by Roering; 12-19-2012 at 19:15..
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote