Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 21:19   #1
ratf51

Buying a generator this weekend...

...I have 3 basic choices: a Troy Bilt, 5500 watt, for $700; a Briggs and Stratton, 6000 watt, for $800; a Ridgid, 6800 watt, for $1000. These are what I can walk into stores in my town and purchase. Generacs are not to be found, there are a few lower wattage types around, but in calculating my wattage requirements I need the 5-6000 watt range with starting wattage around 8000 watts. Initially, I was trying to stay in the 7-800 dollar range, but I will have an influx of cash on Friday (selling a vehicle) that will let me stretch the budget up to the $1000 mark. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance...
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:08   #2
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Honda or Yamaha Engine
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:44   #3
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Of the 3, the rigid with its Subaru engine is the best. If I hadn't got such a good deal on my 10kw honda I'd have bought the Rigid.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 00:22   #4
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Subaru makes great genny motors.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:31   #5
ratf51

The Ridgid has a Yamaha engine, of the Ridgid models available with the Subaru engine one is below my needed wattage, the other is above my budget. The Ridgid has some bells and whistles that the others don't-- electric start and a detachable power panel on a 25 foot cord. It is the gen I am leaning towards unless someone can share with me a compelling reason for one of the other generators I listed. Thanks guys!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25   #6
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratf51 View Post
The Ridgid has a Yamaha engine
this one ^
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28   #7
scccdoc

Quote:
...I have 3 basic choices: a Troy Bilt, 5500 watt, for $700; a Briggs and Stratton, 6000 watt, for $800; a Ridgid, 6800 watt, for $1000. These are what I can walk into stores in my town and purchase. Generacs are not to be found, there are a few lower wattage types around, but in calculating my wattage requirements I need the 5-6000 watt range with starting wattage around 8000 watts. Initially, I was trying to stay in the 7-800 dollar range, but I will have an influx of cash on Friday (selling a vehicle) that will let me stretch the budget up to the $1000 mark. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance...
I've lost faith in Briggs, Honda IF you can find one.................... DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50   #8
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebecman View Post
this one ^
What he said.

Yamaha makes excellent motors.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50   #9
jokeruh

You should absolutely get the rigid because it has a Yamaha engine

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
"At root, belief preservation is the tendency to make evidence subservient to belief, rather than the other way around. Put another way, it is the tendency to use evidence to preserve our opinions rather than guide them." -Tim van Gelder
jokeruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55   #10
jokeruh

Just a tip. You can usually find a 10% off coupon at Home Depot if you look around. For example you can usually get one in a new movers package.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
"At root, belief preservation is the tendency to make evidence subservient to belief, rather than the other way around. Put another way, it is the tendency to use evidence to preserve our opinions rather than guide them." -Tim van Gelder
jokeruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 13:15   #11
NDCent
Socially Inept

If it were me, I would buy around a 6k factory propane model. Price is near the same and no gumming of the carb and they run super clean. The aftermarket kits are an option, but the factory units have an LP tank holder already installed. Plus, when the electric goes down the lines at the gas stations are crazy. I would say the 20 lb bottle, exchange racks, will have plenty for a few days. If you have LP at home, you could T off the main tank and be done.
Old 12-13-2012, 14:28   #12
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCent View Post
If it were me, I would buy around a 6k factory propane model. Price is near the same and no gumming of the carb and they run super clean. The aftermarket kits are an option, but the factory units have an LP tank holder already installed. Plus, when the electric goes down the lines at the gas stations are crazy. I would say the 20 lb bottle, exchange racks, will have plenty for a few days. If you have LP at home, you could T off the main tank and be done.
What sort of run time comparison is there between the two?

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 15:00   #13
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

I would examine the carburators online and make sure that you buy one that is easy to rebuild with an o-ring gasket and a fuel drain on the bowl. Of all the small engines that I own this is where the trouble comes from.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 15:57   #14
NDCent
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
What sort of run time comparison is there between the two?
Actually, pretty close.

A good chart for comparison estimates.
http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...onsumption.htm

Northerns generator example:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0137_200360137
Advertised rate 6000 watt at 50% duty cycle on 20# bottle = about 8.5 run hours.
20lb bottle has approx. 4.8 gallons. LP is 4.2 pounds per gallon.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33   #15
fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

If you haven't already made your purchase, check out the following website for eductational material (i.e. videos, customer feedback, equipment specs...) and great prices:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com

I bought my generator from here and am extremely pleased with information, price and fast delivery!
fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48   #16
DaneA

NW Georgia and you don't have a Tractor Supply near by?
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 14:31   #17
ratf51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalguy View Post
If you haven't already made your purchase, check out the following website for eductational material (i.e. videos, customer feedback, equipment specs...) and great prices:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com

I bought my generator from here and am extremely pleased with information, price and fast delivery!
Thanks for the link!
Old 12-26-2012, 14:36   #18
ratf51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
NW Georgia and you don't have a Tractor Supply near by?
Yes, we do have one, but it only had a Briggs and Stratton (for $900) and a small Champion (too small for my needs.)

I was unable to go make my purchase the other weekend, now that Christmas is over I hope to go get one this coming weekend. I am leaning towards the Ridgid, but not fully committed to it yet.
Old 12-26-2012, 15:05   #19
DaneA

Quote:
Yes, we do have one, but it only had a Briggs and Stratton (for $900) and a small Champion (too small for my needs.)

I was unable to go make my purchase the other weekend, now that Christmas is over I hope to go get one this coming weekend. I am leaning towards the Ridgid, but not fully committed to it yet.
They can get a Generac for you.
http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search#...&sliredirect=1
Take either item number in there and ask them to raincheck it for you. Shouldn't take more than two weeks for them to get it in as they are stocked in the DCs.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 19:15   #20
coastal4974

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCent View Post
That's the only way to go. Plus you can get a larger tank burried on your property and don't have to play around with the small propane tanks.