SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 20:17   #76
IndianaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by g29andy View Post
15" ivy bridge MBP 16 gb RAM 512gb Crucial SSD, have Win7 Pro and Ubuntu in Parallels Virtual machines. It runs them all well. Still have PC desktop and laptops, but MBP is the new toy.
I do not know what any of this means.

Last edited by IndianaMatt; 12-12-2012 at 20:18..
IndianaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:33   #77
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

It's my setup
Old 12-12-2012, 20:39   #78
Recalcitrant

AppleCare

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
I grew up with the viruses, bluescreens, and disposable hardware of PC. This year, I had enough and I joined the cult of Apple with a new MacBook Pro.

What a machine! I cannot see how I will ever go back. And the Apple store was the exact opposite of going to Best Buy: a great retail experience; no pressure; no noise; no warranties to buy - in an out in literally 15 minutes.
My advice: if you can, go back and get the AppleCare. I don't usually buy warranties, but it's definitely worth it with your Mac. If you have to replace anything it's going to be expensive, much more so than the warranty. In addition you get phone support should the need arise.

With my old Macbook from 2006 I had a bulging battery, chipped faceplate, and a worn trackpad. They replaced everything under Applecare; without it, it would have been 330 some odd dollars.

Congrats on your new Mac!
Recalcitrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:43   #79
IndianaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant View Post
My advice: if you can, go back and get the AppleCare. I don't usually buy warranties, but it's definitely worth it with your Mac. If you have to replace anything it's going to be expensive, much more so than the warranty. In addition you get phone support should the need arise.

With my old Macbook from 2006 I had a bulging battery, chipped faceplate, and a worn trackpad. They replaced everything under Applecare; without it, it would have been 330 some odd dollars.

Congrats on your new Mac!
I will definitely consider it. The Apple store said I think I have like 30 days to get AppleCare. People seem to say its a good idea.
Old 12-12-2012, 20:56   #80
mikeflys1
Pastafarian

Quote:
I will definitely consider it. The Apple store said I think I have like 30 days to get AppleCare. People seem to say its a good idea.
You can get it anytime before the initial warranty expires (1 year).
mikeflys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:57   #81
sputnik767

Quote:
If people say it's a good idea to spend $250 on warranty for you mac, it would seem to imply that the mac is not as reliable as people say.

I personally would not, and did not. Nothing inside the computer, except for the battery and motherboard (naturally) is proprietary. The hard drive and RAM are all off the shelf components. I have personally replaced the HD with an SSD and upgraded the RAM on my MBP using standard components that I bought from newegg. There is no such thing as Mac/Apple RAM or anything else. Apple makes absolutely none of the hardware, with the exception of the motherboard being made specifically for them, just like with any other laptop. If something does go wrong, it will likely be the hard drive, and they are very cheap. It is also very rare for something to go wrong while the computer is under warranty. Remember, no matter who provides the warranty, it is still a money-making operation for the warranty supplier. More likely than not, the $250 to extend the warranty 2 additional years is money down the drain. Absolutely nothing should go wrong with your computer during the span of 3 years, and if something should happen, it will likely still be cheaper to replace on your own.

Having said that, my computer is approaching 2.5 years old. Had I bought Applecare, it would absolutely have been a waste of money. Admittedly I am perfectly capable of fixing computers myself, but even if not, Google has everything you could possibly need to know. And certainly a brief google search is more cost effective than spending $250 only to wait in line for a few hours while an Apple Genius does the exact same thing.

Last edited by sputnik767; 12-12-2012 at 20:59..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 21:28   #82
686Owner
NRA Life Member

The Apple haters need to get over themselves. IF someone said they bought a new Ford, would you crap all over their thread and tell them Chevy's are easier to work on, have a higher resale value etc? No. You would say congrats, and move on to the next post.
Old 12-12-2012, 21:42   #83
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
My mom sure loves her MacBook I bought her 3 years ago. Her main use computer is still a PC though...next computer will probably be an iMac.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 22:15   #84
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I have done a lot of work to my friend's 4-5 year old white macbook, because over the years it began running like crap. Replaced the heatsink compound because the CPU was overheating, upgraded the RAM, and put in a larger HD. Also wiped the previous HD in the past and reinstalled the OS because the computer started seriously slowing down. Essentially, everything that goes wrong with PCs as they age, goes wrong with macs. Because there is no difference between PCs and Macs.
Except for the operating system.
Old 12-12-2012, 22:47   #85
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
The Apple haters need to get over themselves. IF someone said they bought a new Ford, would you crap all over their thread and tell them Chevy's are easier to work on, have a higher resale value etc? No. You would say congrats, and move on to the next post.
Conversely, the insecure & "wow!, it turns on and does computer type stuff!" Apple iGadget owners who buy a product need to refrain from being so desirous of positive feedback and confirmation that they didn't waste 4x the money for nothing they feel the compulsion to start a thread about their purchase.

I think I'll go and start a "I bought a Honda generator and I'll never go back to not having a generator" thread now.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 22:53   #86
robrides85

Quote:
I don't keep any big programs or games; the machine is mostly for web browsing, Word, and a few photos here and there.

256 GB is plenty, no?

+

What's wrong with you people? Dude drops a couple grand on a new toy and that's your response?
lol. A couple grand is some serious overkill for web browsing, photos, and a word processor. Typing this on a MBPro, but fiance's Dad's Mac Mini recently bit the dust (replaced with a year-old iMac), about a year after the family's 7-year old Macbook also bit the dust. Lower your expectations - you'll be happier in the end run.

Last edited by robrides85; 12-12-2012 at 23:30..
robrides85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 22:56   #87
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
The days of solid reasons for Apple to have a "cult of loyal users" have passed.

The only thing Apple still does relatively well is marketing, and even that is waning.

DEAR APPLE: I'm Leaving You
Here's another: "Apple's First Professional Fanboy Has Ditched The iPhone"

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-g...ndroid-2012-12
Old 12-12-2012, 23:10   #88
Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrides85 View Post
lol. A couple grand is some serious overkill for web browsing, photos, and a word processor. Typing this on a MBPro, but fiance's Dad's Mac Mini recently bit the dust (replaced with a year-old iMac), about a year after a 7-year old Macbook also bit the dust. Lower your expectations - you'll be happier in the end run.
Exactly.

That's why I said earlier in this thread that I'd spring for a MB Pro, for example, if I was doing a ton of graphic intense applications for my business or something.

Apple's laptops and desktops have never been less distinguishable from PCs, which is to be expected given that they use the same Intel chipsets now, except that Apple's OS is demonstrably worse than Windows.

For 95% of the population, a $300 Black Friday or Cyber Monday Acer laptop will do everything they'd ever need to do, and more. Spend $700+ on a Windows laptop, which is still only 38% of what a MB cost, and you'll really be flying.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:11   #89
Shinytop

I can buy a high end PC and two guns for the cost of an IMac high end, 27 incher. That's what I call a no brainer.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:15   #90
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
I'm all for whatever platform you like the best but if you have struggled with viruses, defragging and whatever "debugging" is your whole life then I hate to break it to you but it's not the platform. It's the user. You will still have to buy a new machine every four years if you want to keep up with technology as well.
Yup. Have an '08 MB running Leopard. Can no longer get Chrome updates because I'm not updated to a newer version of OSX. That was a disappointment. Could buy Snow Leopard for $20, but did I mention that my CD/DVD drive no longer works? Add to that that my screen dimmed over time, an iPod Touch that failed at 11 months (phew) and I'm not exactly the most adoring Apple fan.
Old 12-12-2012, 23:15   #91
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
I'm all for whatever platform you like the best but if you have struggled with viruses, defragging and whatever "debugging" is your whole life then I hate to break it to you but it's not the platform. It's the user.
That's what I was thinking. I never have problems with viruses.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:19   #92
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
And this is why Apple will win. I imagine the bulk of Apple haters make a living as PC techs.
No, there'll be a new breed that wins. Like the OP says, all he uses his Apple for is web browsing, some pictures, and a little word processing. Something along the lines of a Chromebook will eat Apple's lunch in this category. Market share, that is - someone else takes all the users, Apple takes all the profit.
Old 12-12-2012, 23:22   #93
Bulldog160

We have two iMacs, and a 13" MacBook Pro. Made the switch 4 yrs ago and have never regretted it. We actually just switched our office over too. You can't beat the simplicity and lack of issues. They just work and work well.
I always laugh at people that talk $$. Yes they do cost a little more but in 18mos you won't be looking to upgrade your outdated slow running PC.
Enjoy!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Bulldog160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 23:24   #94
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant View Post
bulging battery
Oh yeah, forgot that this happened to my Macbook as well as my girl's MBP. My macbook - no problem - the seams just don't fit as well as they did/some of the adhesive between the battery and the plastic cover has separated. Unibody MBP + bulging battery = trackpad (directly above bulging battery that can't push against aluminum bottom) no longer works. That was an expensive battery to replace.

Last edited by robrides85; 12-12-2012 at 23:31..
Old 12-12-2012, 23:26   #95
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
Not when I had a crappy Ford. Need to cancel out some of their marketing so more people consider Chevy (or Toyota).
Old 12-12-2012, 23:27   #96
IndianaMatt

Quote:
lol. A couple grand is some serious overkill for web browsing, photos, and a word processor. Typing this on a MBPro, but fiance's Dad's Mac Mini recently bit the dust (replaced with a year-old iMac), about a year after a 7-year old Macbook also bit the dust. Lower your expectations - you'll be happier in the end run.
The Okie Corral
Old 12-12-2012, 23:28   #97
IndianaMatt

Quote:
Not when I had a crappy Ford. Need to cancel out some of their marketing so more people consider Chevy (or Toyota).
Yes, but have you considered one of these?

The Okie Corral
Old 12-12-2012, 23:29   #98
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinytop View Post
and two guns
That's when you know you're an addict!

For the few large purchases I've made thus far in life, I translate it into fractions or types of motorcycles that I could've bought instead. Mmm!
Old 12-12-2012, 23:33   #99
robrides85

Quote:
Yes, but have you considered one of these?

The Okie Corral
Nutty looking vehicle!

Regardless, good luck with Apple - you should have a better experience than me - I seem to associate with a below average set of experiences regarding the brand.
Old 12-12-2012, 23:46   #100
Harper

Quote:
lol. A couple grand is some serious overkill for web browsing, photos, and a word processor. Typing this on a MBPro, but fiance's Dad's Mac Mini recently bit the dust (replaced with a year-old iMac), about a year after the family's 7-year old Macbook also bit the dust. Lower your expectations - you'll be happier in the end run.
No kidding. It's kind of a silly argument - arguing about which computer you can buy off the shelf is better. If you really cared about having the most badass computer you would build it yourself. It's like getting heated arguing which is better, a Sentra or an Accord, which probably is used mostly to drive to Trader Joe's and pick kids up from school. There are 1,000+ hp sports cars out there, relax, take it down a notch.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote