SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-16-2012, 20:44   #276
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Some of you folks need to realize that there are lots of people who need to use computers to perform tasks and have no interest in making the inner workings of a computer or OS a 2nd job or hobby.

Computers are here to serve us, not the other way around

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
That is the truth. I used to like adding drives and programs etc..now I just want to be able to get my projects done as quickly as possible.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 20:47   #277
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
I can answer for me...

Nothing that I "need" to use, but iTunes seems to work better on a Mac than a PC. Messages allows to send iMessages from my computer. My calendar, notes, and reminders all sync without any need for me to think about it or use a separate service. iPhoto uses iCloud to import my wife and I's latest photos from my phone without the need to even plug in. My contacts sync to and from my phone faster than I can even open the app to look for them. App store means when I buy another Mac, or if I wipe this one, all I have to do is sign in and tap "download all purchases" and all of my apps will download and install. Safari bookmarks, reading list and even open tabs all sync to and from my iPhone as well.
But wouldn't you agree that most business related computers are pc and not mac?
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 20:50   #278
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Some of you folks need to realize that there are lots of people who need to use computers to perform tasks and have no interest in making the inner workings of a computer or OS a 2nd job or hobby.

Computers are here to serve us, not the other way around

[/URL]

This

I've never owned anything but Apple. I did install more RAM into a G3 Macbook once but other than that I've never had the desire or need to modify or upgrade any of my Macs in any way nor bothered with the specs. I'd actually not be able to tell you the specs of this current MacBook without looking them up.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:35   #279
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Nothing. Mac just does what most people do with computers, better. Easier. More intuitively. Form factor matters too.
Quote:
Nothing that I "need" to use, but iTunes seems to work better on a Mac than a PC. Messages allows to send iMessages from my computer. My calendar, notes, and reminders all sync without any need for me to think about it or use a separate service. iPhoto uses iCloud to import my wife and I's latest photos from my phone without the need to even plug in. My contacts sync to and from my phone faster than I can even open the app to look for them. App store means when I buy another Mac, or if I wipe this one, all I have to do is sign in and tap "download all purchases" and all of my apps will download and install. Safari bookmarks, reading list and even open tabs all sync to and from my iPhone as well.
OK, thanks, guys.
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08   #280
rppnj

I've checked out our local Apple store and was very impressed with their knowledgeable staff. However, Apple products were way overpriced; especially condidering the RAM and Hard Disk space that I require. Apple was expensive to begin with but to upgrade to more RAM and a larger Hard Disk was 'crazy' expensive. I could buy 4 PC's with better specs for the same money. I agree that Apple is a superior product (my family uses both iPhones and iPads) but they are prohibitively expensive.

'Integrity is who you are and what you do when no one is watching.'
-rppnj
rppnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:12   #281
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppnj View Post
I've checked out our local Apple store and was very impressed with their knowledgeable staff. However, Apple products were way overpriced; especially condidering the RAM and Hard Disk space that I require. Apple was expensive to begin with but to upgrade to more RAM and a larger Hard Disk was 'crazy' expensive. I could buy 4 PC's with better specs for the same money. I agree that Apple is a superior product (my family uses both iPhones and iPads) but they are prohibitively expensive.
Well, you could always buy the lower end model and upgrade the HDD and RAM a lot cheaper.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14   #282
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Many of you may enjoy this:

It's pretty dang innerstin'.
Old 12-17-2012, 14:00   #283
HowlinJoe

When I was working, there was (is) no better business products than Word, Excel & Powerpoint. They are very powerful for numerical manipulation, writing and developing presentations. All things that a retired (like me now) doesn't need.

Looking at the PC platform, it is inherently flawed. There is no integration of the Hardware, Software, and overall system performance. What Intel giveth (faster chips), Microsoft taketh away (upgrades) with clumsy code, and unnecessary features.

Having noted that, I switched from my home PC to a Mac - mostly to never run Microsoft products ever again! I have been a committed customer since! Every time there is an upgrade to the Operating System, the Mac runs faster. There is a consistent theme of maintaining the functionality of your equipment.

Is the Mac more expensive? Sure, but I'll own this one long enough for all you guys to buy 3 to 4 new PC's. You'll get tired of viruses, the equipment will wear out, the new ones will do so much more... Won't happen to the Mac!

As long as I worked for someone else, and the company would buy a new PC every 3-4 years, it wasn't a problem. Now that it's my money, bye-bye PC!
HowlinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 14:03   #284
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinJoe View Post
Looking at the PC platform, it is inherently flawed. There is no integration of the Hardware, Software, and overall system performance. What Intel giveth (faster chips), Microsoft taketh away (upgrades) with clumsy code, and unnecessary features.
Um, Intel makes the chips for the Mac, too, and Apple's programmers work under the same "integration" environment as M$'s...
Old 12-17-2012, 14:14   #285
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

I'll wade in.

Worked with PC's since 1981. Seen it all. Been writing code for the MS platform for 31 years, 18 commercially. I actually think Win8 is sorta OK. But MS is doomed.

That is not to say Apple is perfect, far from it. They just are better right now in a number of ways. If you want to surf, send email, and do what probably 80% of PC users do, going MAC is perfectly reasonable.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 14:16   #286
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Buy what works for you.

I recently bought an Alienware x51 compact gaming computer for our basement/media room, and it's excellent for games. Even using the browser on it gives me a headache, though, as the type/text is so freaking hard to read.

I'm writing this on a 27" i7 iMac, and it's a truly outstanding day-to-day computer. I'm generally thrilled with the price/performance. However, the lack of expandability makes me insane. I'd love to crack it open and put in a 4TB rotating drive and an internal SSD, but that's a non-trivial process, enough so to keep even me from attempting it so far.

OS's don't define us as human beings - they're just tools to do a job. Buy what you think will do the best job for you. If you're wrong, do more research next time.

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 14:23   #287

Congrats! Switched to Mac about 5 years ago, best decision ever. Love my iMac and MBA. Cant wait to get the new 27 inch iMac here in a few weeks!
211275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 14:36   #288
skiezics
NRA Member

Bought my first iMac with the original G5........after that a 24" Intel iMac......just bought a new MacBook Pro. As long as the Apple products continue as they have, I have no intention of going back to Windows. Had to drag my mother-in-law kicking and screaming into an iMac, 7 years ago......because it was sooo expensive.......yea, she's still using that same iMac. Compare that to the Windows boxes she changed every two years. If you like to fart around with the computer get a PC. If you just want to do your stuff and not worry about it get an Apple product.

And is it me or does Windows 8 feel like a Fisher Price toy?

Last edited by skiezics; 12-17-2012 at 14:41..
skiezics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 15:00   #289
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

BTW, around here I have:

XP desktop with two 24" monitors. Posting on it now.
Win8 laptop (for testing code on new platform and other stuff.)
2 Win7 laptops (nice ones, great big screens and loaded, one is my wife's.)
Macbook, three years old. Light and nice. Used to take it on vacations. Now we have:
Two iPads (2 and 3), two iPhones.
Vista laptop (haven't turned on in at least three years.)
XP Dell laptop in closet somewhere.
Win98 Gateway laptop lurking in a closet too.

I really need to get rid of some stuff. LOL
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 16:10   #290
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
I grew up with the viruses, bluescreens, and disposable hardware of PC. This year, I had enough and I joined the cult of Apple with a new MacBook Pro.

What a machine! I cannot see how I will ever go back. And the Apple store was the exact opposite of going to Best Buy: a great retail experience; no pressure; no noise; no warranties to buy - in an out in literally 15 minutes.

Look at my baby:

The Okie Corral

[not my pic tho]
Excellent choice! I have had mine for 6 years with 0 problems. I would NEVER go back to a PC
Old 12-18-2012, 14:31   #291
JayJay83

I had a similar experience as TS when I got a MacBook Air. If they keep making them like this, I'm sticking with Apple.
JayJay83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 14:42   #292
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Guys, you could order 24 GB ram (2X 2X8B) on Amazon for $150ish, so save your $$ when you order BTO iMac on Apple.com. I cannot wait for my 27" iMac coming in Jan.

For the GB Rams, you could find it on this link:

or

Last edited by Glock30Eric; 12-18-2012 at 15:23..
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 15:06   #293
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Unfortunately the RAM in the smaller iMacs is not upgradeable I hear, nor in the retina display macbook pros. At least not easily, if at all.
Old 12-18-2012, 16:21   #294
webyourbusiness
Glockin' on...

yep - the later machines have hard-wired RAM and drives. It is the direction Apple is headed apparently.

As for Mac viruses - they are out there in small numbers - but small numbers is all it takes when many mac owners have this god-complex thinking they are immune...
webyourbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 16:46   #295
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

Quote:
Unfortunately the RAM in the smaller iMacs is not upgradeable I hear, nor in the retina display macbook pros. At least not easily, if at all.

I can't find any info on the hard drives...but it sounds like the RAM is not only a pain to get to because of the glue, but the RAM is also soldered to the board. Although annoying since you can't get third party RAM to save a few bucks, it's not a huge deal. RAM fails, but not often enough to worry about.

I would hope however the HD is somewhat accessible since of all the things to go bad or wanting to upgrade later, it is the HD. And having to take it to Apple or require me to use a hair dryer/heat gun to upgrade or replace it does not sound fun to me.

Pawsitively Stylish Mobile Pet Salon (Southern California)
cgwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 17:27   #296
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwahl View Post
I can't find any info on the hard drives...but it sounds like the RAM is not only a pain to get to because of the glue, but the RAM is also soldered to the board. Although annoying since you can't get third party RAM to save a few bucks, it's not a huge deal. RAM fails, but not often enough to worry about.

I would hope however the HD is somewhat accessible since of all the things to go bad or wanting to upgrade later, it is the HD. And having to take it to Apple or require me to use a hair dryer/heat gun to upgrade or replace it does not sound fun to me.
Nah, you don't need to use hair dryer/heat gun to do the job. Glue tape will do the job. Look up at Mac rumor forum.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:28   #297
JoeInKS

Merry Christmas folks!

Typing this on a new Macbook Pro my wife just gave me. We had agreed that we would not spend any significant amount of money on each others gifts but.... here I am with a pretty expensive toy. For the moment, its quite enjoyable.

I've tinkered up to now with my wife's laptop that she uses for Photoshop / Photography and have really enjoyed the simplicity of design, the well thought out user interface, the amazing responsiveness of the system, and in general, the welcomed change from Windows. It's pretty cool when you control the platform and operating system so that you can optimize things to run very well.

I guess that the Windows 8 migration of a computer and trying to fathom the reasons why it's become so clunky an interface, finally got me talking enough about the MAC OSX environment that my wife decided to do something about it.

I sure hope this thing lasts. It's certainly faster than anything else I have currently.
JoeInKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:10   #298
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Enjoy your Mac and welcome to the cult!

......you wil not go back

Merry Christmas
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 19:53   #299
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInKS View Post
Merry Christmas folks!

Typing this on a new Macbook Pro my wife just gave me. We had agreed that we would not spend any significant amount of money on each others gifts but.... here I am with a pretty expensive toy. For the moment, its quite enjoyable.

I've tinkered up to now with my wife's laptop that she uses for Photoshop / Photography and have really enjoyed the simplicity of design, the well thought out user interface, the amazing responsiveness of the system, and in general, the welcomed change from Windows. It's pretty cool when you control the platform and operating system so that you can optimize things to run very well.

I guess that the Windows 8 migration of a computer and trying to fathom the reasons why it's become so clunky an interface, finally got me talking enough about the MAC OSX environment that my wife decided to do something about it.

I sure hope this thing lasts. It's certainly faster than anything else I have currently.
Congrats! As long as Apple keeps doing notebooks so much better than everyone else, plan to get comfy and stay a while.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 20:24   #300
FetchMonster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInKS View Post
Merry Christmas folks!

+1, The wife got me a Mac Book as well; the new commands and multi finger trackpad will take some time to learn.