GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 15:22   #251
mgs
Always Carrying
 
mgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: cogan station, pa, usa
Posts: 3,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
I grew up with the viruses, bluescreens, and disposable hardware of PC. This year, I had enough and I joined the cult of Apple with a new MacBook Pro.

What a machine! I cannot see how I will ever go back. And the Apple store was the exact opposite of going to Best Buy: a great retail experience; no pressure; no noise; no warranties to buy - in an out in literally 15 minutes.

Look at my baby:

The Okie Corral

[not my pic tho]
And you paid through the nose! They all have their problems. I work on and with both daily. You drank the Kool Aid man.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 18:12   #252
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot
 
NMGlocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
I have noted over the years that Mac users are happier than PC users.
Proof that ignorance is bliss.






C'mon man... you set that one up on a tee for me. There's no way I wasn't going to take a swing.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
NMGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 20:06   #253
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Fanboy! LOL

Enjoy. Go online and find/learn the shortcuts and the "ways" Mac does stuff vs. PC. The good news is every 4 years you don't have to re-learn a new OS when MS decides to completely redesign Windows.
I would agree. I bought a new pc with windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. XP was much better. I had an Ibook years ago...should have stuck with Mac.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 20:21   #254
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot
 
NMGlocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I would agree. I bought a new pc with windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. XP was much better. I had an Ibook years ago...should have stuck with Mac.
I really don't understand why everyone's stressing over Win8.
Other than the slide out menu bars in the screen corners and the start screen instead of a start button/program tree it's identical to Win7.

Just pin your favorite programs to the start screen and/or the quick launch bar on the desktop and you're off to the races.

That's the way I ran XP and Win7, so Win8 took me all of 15 minutes to learn and customize.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by NMGlocker; 12-15-2012 at 20:22..
NMGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 20:55   #255
jasonvp
Lifetime Membership
Kantre Member
 
jasonvp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: annoying the liberals in NorthernVA
Posts: 3,036
Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I always maintain that mac users are only happy because they jumped from junky PCs to high-end and high priced macs
I maintain that you're not always right about that, either. Some of us were and are happy because of the operating system, not just the hardware.

jas
__________________
"Personally I like a lady with a tramp stamp... gives me something to read while I'm disappointing her." --GioaJack (RIP)
jasonvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 21:38   #256
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
I really don't understand why everyone's stressing over Win8.
Other than the slide out menu bars in the screen corners and the start screen instead of a start button/program tree it's identical to Win7.

Just pin your favorite programs to the start screen and/or the quick launch bar on the desktop and you're off to the races.

That's the way I ran XP and Win7, so Win8 took me all of 15 minutes to learn and customize.
I had windows xp and loved it. I have corneal ectasia and that makes ork difficult for me so now I have to actually think about this system..so i hate it. I liked using the old stuff..the new stuff is for notebooks and phones..I am using it for lawsuits..etc. So how do I get used to this real fast? Do you have any idea if my old Wordperfect 10 will work on windows 8 or which version do I have to buy? Thanks

Last edited by JuneyBooney; 12-15-2012 at 21:39..
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 21:48   #257
686Owner
NRA Life Member
 
686Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KY
Posts: 8,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Meh, I use both and my dad uses PCs only. We are both happy. Of course I built his PCs as well as mine using high-end components. I always maintain that mac users are only happy because they jumped from junky PCs to high-end and high priced macs, and you get what you pay for no matter what you decide to go with.
I jumped from desktop PCs that I built myself to a MacBook Pro, and I'm pretty happy. My next laptop purchase will probably be another Apple computer. I'm a bit concerned with the Retina display MBP not allowing you to update the RAM, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
__________________
My Gun Photos
686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:41   #258
Dandapani
Senior Member
 
Dandapani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gulf side Florida
Posts: 22,798


Been running Linux (Fedora and now Fuduntu) on commodity PC hardware for years with no problems, virus, etc. No need for expensive MAC hardware. The best thing Bill Gates did was to create a bloated, hardware hungry OS so that hardware manufacturers had to create cheap, powerful machines for it to run on. Drop Linux on this hardware and you have the best environment of them all for mucho cheap.
__________________
Dan
Karma -What goes around, comes around!
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06   #259
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot
 
NMGlocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I had windows xp and loved it. I have corneal ectasia and that makes ork difficult for me so now I have to actually think about this system..so i hate it. I liked using the old stuff..the new stuff is for notebooks and phones..I am using it for lawsuits..etc. So how do I get used to this real fast? Do you have any idea if my old Wordperfect 10 will work on windows 8 or which version do I have to buy? Thanks
Wordperfect? I haven't used Wordperfect since the 486 days.
Wow, you are a Luddite.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
NMGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:06   #260
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member
 
.264 magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 16,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Meh, I use both and my dad uses PCs only. We are both happy. Of course I built his PCs as well as mine using high-end components. I always maintain that mac users are only happy because they jumped from junky PCs to high-end and high priced macs, and you get what you pay for no matter what you decide to go with.
It stands to reason that many Mac adopters moved from POS PCs.

I didn't. The PCs I've owned and the PCs I still own while not on the world class rodded gamer level are none the less well RAM'd, HDD'd, de-fragged regularly, virus protected, fire-walled and most importantly not ancient or abused.
__________________
The Gonzales Flag - "Come and Take It!"
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:15   #261
LL6
Senior Member
 
LL6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Off I-40, NC
Posts: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
Wordperfect? I haven't used Wordperfect since the 486 days.
Wow, you are a Luddite.
You are awfully quick to call names when he mentions why he is resisting change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I had windows xp and loved it. I have corneal ectasia and that makes ork difficult for me so now I have to actually think about this system..so i hate it. I liked using the old stuff..the new stuff is for notebooks and phones..I am using it for lawsuits..etc. So how do I get used to this real fast? Do you have any idea if my old Wordperfect 10 will work on windows 8 or which version do I have to buy? Thanks
After a quick Google it looks like Corel's WordPerfect X6 is their latest release. Maybe email them about compatibility with Win 8 or DL their trial of X6.
__________________
Mike
G26
LL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17   #262
FPS
Senior Member
 
FPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
Wordperfect? I haven't used Wordperfect since the 486 days.
Wow, you are a Luddite.
How about some Lotus123 or a Novel Server.

.
__________________
Gone Fishin'
FPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 13:02   #263
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
Wordperfect? I haven't used Wordperfect since the 486 days.
Wow, you are a Luddite.
Law offices and educators have used wpd for many years. DOJ uses wpd. So what do you suggest Mr perfect to use for legal documents etc? Hmmmm...
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 13:04   #264
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL6 View Post
You are awfully quick to call names when he mentions why he is resisting change.


After a quick Google it looks like Corel's WordPerfect X6 is their latest release. Maybe email them about compatibility with Win 8 or DL their trial of X6.
Thanks for the suggestion. I wrote up some documents the other night right before the crash and I have to find the right wpd to load on this to view them. I appreciate your thoughtful input.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 13:39   #265
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,278
I converted around six months ago. I started with Apple when the iPad 2 was released. I love it so much I bought an iPhone 4S when they were released. A few months ago my Dell started going south and I replaced it with a refurbed Macbook Pro. I absolutely love it. I did replace the HD with an SSD and upped the ram to 8GBs. The way the whole ecosystem is integrated is wonderful. Added an Apple TV and use Airplay all the time. There is certainly a premium to it but it's more than just for the logo. The build quality of this thing is light years ahead of most cheapo plastic Windows machines. Thinkpads have good build quality but other than that it's severely lacking. Again for me, it's the ecosystem. Everything just works so well together it's wonderful.

I'm not a Windows hater, far from it. Windows 7 was a wonderful OS. I haven't messed with Windows 8 at all so I can't comment there. Windows Phone looks very nice and everyone I know who uses one loves it. The surface tablet also looks good. If they can get devolpers on board that would be a good ecosystem as well. With Skydrive they have the cloud backbone there as well.

What it boils down to is use what you prefer. Neither is superior to the other, just different.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 13:42   #266
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,672


Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGlocker View Post
Wordperfect? I haven't used Wordperfect since the 486 days.
Wow, you are a Luddite.
I believe it is common in legal profession


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 14:27   #267
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,672


Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmonster View Post
Just understand you're paying a hefty surcharge because you're a computer noob.
Some of you folks need to realize that there are lots of people who need to use computers to perform tasks and have no interest in making the inner workings of a computer or OS a 2nd job or hobby.

Computers are here to serve us, not the other way around


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 12-16-2012 at 14:28..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 15:18   #268
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist
 
syntaxerrorsix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lakeland, FL.
Posts: 9,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Some of you folks need to realize that there are lots of people who need to use computers to perform tasks and have no interest in making the inner workings of a computer or OS a 2nd job or hobby.

Computers are here to serve us, not the other way around


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Some people need to understand that when comparing platforms and machines it helps to have experience with comparable hardware. There is very little difference save for the fact that Apple does not build econo-boxes but you can get one in PC flavor.
__________________
Sappers Forward
841st Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 81ARCOM, 84th Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 2ACR, 40th Eng (Mech) 1AD, 588th Eng (Mech) 4ID

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 15:22   #269
gwalchmai
Lucky Member
 
gwalchmai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Outside the perimeter
Posts: 44,122


Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Some of you folks need to realize that there are lots of people who need to use computers to perform tasks and have no interest in making the inner workings of a computer or OS a 2nd job or hobby.
Just asking, CF, what can Macs do that Windows PCs can't? i.e., what "need to use" software is only available for Macs?
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 15:33   #270
douggmc
Senior Member
 
douggmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Haha, .... In fact, go ahead and install just windows on your mac. The reality is, the only thing that separates a mac and an equally equipped PC is the OS.
... and the OS difference is the ENTIRE point of it. The folks on here that say they use the same "shipsets", etc and therefore are not "worth the price" vs Windows don't seem to get this. It is almost an apples vs oranges comparison. Why folks want to do this in some pissing match manner is always beyond me. I use both. They both have pros and cons. Fwiw and for whatever reason though, I reach for my apple devices first nowadays.

You aren't paying for the hardware so much, but rather the OS and tight integration of it with the hardware (and the rest of the Apple ecosystem).




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 17:30   #271
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,672


Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
Some people need to understand that when comparing platforms and machines it helps to have experience with comparable hardware. There is very little difference save for the fact that Apple does not build econo-boxes but you can get one in PC flavor.
That doesn't change my point.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 17:38   #272
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,672


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
Just asking, CF, what can Macs do that Windows PCs can't? i.e., what "need to use" software is only available for Macs?
Nothing. Mac just does what most people do with computers, better. Easier. More intuitively. Form factor matters too.

It is however great at document handling, comes with a nice package of easy to use software, still requires no antivirus/malware precautions, to mention a few. Also the multitouch trackpad is a much bigger differentiator than most people give it credit for. Much better displays as a rule, which matters bc that's what you stare at.

My company issues me a craptastic black plastic Dell. I spent my own money on an 11MBA, parallels and a Win7 license to use for work.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 17:41   #273
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,672


Who sells machines that are "equally equipped" to the MacBook Air, 13 & 15" MBPS retinas, or iMac or Mac mini?

I honestly haven't seen them.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 17:46   #274
686Owner
NRA Life Member
 
686Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KY
Posts: 8,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
Just asking, CF, what can Macs do that Windows PCs can't? i.e., what "need to use" software is only available for Macs?
I can answer for me...

Nothing that I "need" to use, but iTunes seems to work better on a Mac than a PC. Messages allows to send iMessages from my computer. My calendar, notes, and reminders all sync without any need for me to think about it or use a separate service. iPhoto uses iCloud to import my wife and I's latest photos from my phone without the need to even plug in. My contacts sync to and from my phone faster than I can even open the app to look for them. App store means when I buy another Mac, or if I wipe this one, all I have to do is sign in and tap "download all purchases" and all of my apps will download and install. Safari bookmarks, reading list and even open tabs all sync to and from my iPhone as well.
__________________
My Gun Photos

Last edited by 686Owner; 12-16-2012 at 17:47..
686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 17:58   #275
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,672


Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
I can answer for me...

Nothing that I "need" to use, but iTunes seems to work better on a Mac than a PC. Messages allows to send iMessages from my computer. My calendar, notes, and reminders all sync without any need for me to think about it or use a separate service. iPhoto uses iCloud to import my wife and I's latest photos from my phone without the need to even plug in. My contacts sync to and from my phone faster than I can even open the app to look for them. App store means when I buy another Mac, or if I wipe this one, all I have to do is sign in and tap "download all purchases" and all of my apps will download and install. Safari bookmarks, reading list and even open tabs all sync to and from my iPhone as well.
Yeah. All that too

It's just a better overall user experience. Some folks don't value that and that's ok.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,260
398 Members
862 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42