Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:46   #41
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash22 View Post
I have been looking and all I have found are "kinda" work fixes.
G.T. has proven to be the best place I have found for (mostly) reliable info. so it is only fitting to ask here.
What I have are two Gen4 17s (pfcxxx and tgbxxx) that love to hit me and my wife in the head with brass. If it were an occasional tap every now and then I wouldn't be too put out about it but, my wife is just starting to shoot (I still have my first gun from 1975) and when a hot piece of brass glues itself to her, that makes a bad day...
She has fired my Kimber, Ruger, Colt, Smith, you name it but she loves the Glock!! She likes my PPQ but hates the 40 cal round. So I MUST get these things fixed. Glock has done NOTHING for us (same spring/extractor/ejector).
what I have done:
1. Stoned / polished extractor - helped but after 20 rounds started getting pummeled again.
2. Put 40 cal extractor in after "fitting" - helped, stoned and polished same - no difference.
3. made 4 loads using different powder/weight combos - real hot loads work 80% of the time but she cant shoot 50 without feeling it (no fun). Soft loads work as wwb. 50-60%
4. Stand in one place looking stupid. That for some reason got many onlookers but fixed nothing.
Any new fixes will be appreciated!!
Easy to fix

General Glocking
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52   #42
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Most excellent.
Old 01-16-2013, 17:48   #43
fg17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickGlock View Post
It seems like they keep throwing part at it in hope somehow it gets fixed...
Maybe, but now I have a gun with all new parts and one that works great. Good customer service if you ask me. For years If I had a problem with a gun I would get rid of it right away and usually loose money on the deal, now I send them back to the factory. They usually come back working great, A few have come back as basically semi custom, with tuned and smoothed actions, polished chambers ect... If they give me problems after I get them back then I send them down the road.
fg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 19:45   #44
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Easy to fix

General Glocking

Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 20:20   #45
Made in Austria

There is a guy on here, I think plouffedaddy is his user name. He is a excellent shooter, he applies an perfect grip and stance when he shoots his Glock 19 gen4, just like Tiro Fijo and Bren. But his gun still ejected very erratic. It wasn't the ammo because he tryed multiple brands of ammo in his videos, if I remember correctly.

Why is that Tiro Fijo and Bren? Why did his gun and many other newer Glocks not function properly?

Last edited by Made in Austria; 01-16-2013 at 20:46..
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 20:54   #46
thesilverbullet

I was at the range getting nailed by my 21 and by the dude next to with a 23
Old 01-16-2013, 21:35   #47
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
There is a guy on here, I think plouffedaddy is his user name. He is a excellent shooter, he applies an perfect grip and stance when he shoots his Glock 19 gen4, just like Tiro Fijo and Bren. But his gun still ejected very erratic. It wasn't the ammo because he tryed multiple brands of ammo in his videos, if I remember correctly.

Why is that Tiro Fijo and Bren? Why did his gun and many other newer Glocks not function properly?

I don't use the modern erect arms/thumbs forward grip like Plouffedaddy. As a matter of fact, I despise it. I use the older Weaver stance. Plouffedaddy's woman was having trouble if I recall and it was obvious that she was breaking her wrists. I remember her video.

Next question?

Last edited by Tiro Fijo; 01-16-2013 at 21:37..
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 21:45   #48
c01
Crazy Eye

Gen 4 G19 no problems in 700 rounds.

D

Aug 2012 born date
c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21   #49
BMiracletx

I dunno about the gen4s, all of my 9mms are gen3 and I have never had a problem. Only think I can think is new RSA. Anyone try using LoneWolfs conversion kit to allow use of the Gen3 recoil spring? I bought one for my gen4 21 so I can change to heavier/lighter recoil springs. Maybe that would cure it. All of my gen4 .40s and .357s have been flawless with ejection. I still think it is the new RSA with the gen4 9mm.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 16:47   #50
aikimo

I am a first time gun owner, and just bought a Gen 4 G17. While I love the gun, it does seem to sometimes have the brass eject in the face issues. (Not all of the time though) The Apex extractor and spring that folks are talking about, is this something that I can easily install myself? or do I have to have a gun smith do it? Also I only have shot around 150 rounds so far.. Will the problem potentially go away as I shot it more? I am using Magtech 115gr ammo.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if these are silly questions..
Kind Regards
Mo
aikimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 22:31   #51
Stock Perfection

brass in the face temporarily

i was being redundant

Last edited by Stock Perfection; 01-20-2013 at 16:51.. Reason: redundant
Stock Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 22:54   #52
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
Yes. My Glock 26 Gen 4 gave me BTF from round one out of the box. Gotta figure the tester took two to the face too but shipped the gun anyway.

First thing I did was install a steel recoil spring guide. No clue why that worked but it did reroute 100% of the brass from hitting me in the face to raining down on my head/hat.
The steel (heavier) recoil spring guide changed the slide velocity, therefore the ejection pattern.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:13   #53
wrecks24

LOL, if you go through and read all the posts in this thread. Almost every single Glock mentioned has either a replaced part or the owner is contemplating on new parts. What happened to buying a new gun and shooting it? Oh, because NEW glocks dont come ready to shoot out of the box.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:39   #54
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Still no problems out of any we've encountered. Maybe this epidemic of problems hasn't made it to the southeast. I'll keep reading boards so ill be ready when it hits.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 16:14   #55
Macbooklover91

Move your head.

Haha. On a serious note I own a Gen4 19 and I haven't had a huge issue with it yet. Only happened a few times to me. I usually end up blaming the ammo like every other Glock owner.

"Failure to fire?... It's probably the ammo"
"Brass to the face?... What ammo are you using?"
"Smokestack?... Yeah I would say its the ammo"

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

New Owner of a Glock 19 :supergrin:
Glock 19 - Gen 4
Macbooklover91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 19:47   #56
Stock Perfection

wrecks24- Hello! As far as tupperware being ready to go, I can only speak to my own experience, and it has been excellent. I bought a 2nd Gen G-19 with 10,000 rounds through it for every day carry. Factory stock, not even the so called 6-part update, with mags to match. I modified the mags to drop free and put on +2 extenders, and for some unknown reason discarded the insterts. I fired another 20,000 rounds of any 9mm ammo I could put my hands on. Fire- clean/inspect- load- repeat. It was still factory stock when I sold it- maybe with a slightly smoother action! A few misfires (ammo?), half a dozen stove pipes, and at around 20k rounds I got brass in the face for a few hundred rounds. I find those percentages acceptable. That's why I chose my member name.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25   #57
brisk21

Ive had my Gen4 22 for 1.5 years and never had that problem. Brass flies back and to the right just as it should.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29   #58
crash22
Lost up north

Just another little update. We went to the range yesterday and she put 250 rounds thru without a single malfunction. I can appreciate the thoughts of "better training"but if your mind is so closed you can't see that it's a "Glock thing" not a shooter thing, you obviously don't listen to other people when they talk. The same woman with the same gun AFTER changing parts gets no btf problems. So that would tell anyone with an IQ over 90 it was the gun not the girl. (Btw, she is 5'8" works out 5 days a week and can bench press 190lbs...) If this was the ONLY gen 4 having problems it may be a person problem but I have seen at least one other besides this one...
Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21   #59
Stock Perfection

crash22- Congratulations on working out the problem! Too bad you even had to deal with this. You don't have to swap/modify parts on a new chainsaw to feel confident you'll be cutting down a tree. You could, but you should'nt have to. They've gone from "That's right, it's plastic" to "That's right, it's good to go" to "That's right, mail it back to us". The next time Gastons' over for tea, I intend to bring this up.

Last edited by Stock Perfection; 01-20-2013 at 19:48.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59   #60
glockguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash22 View Post
Just another little update. We went to the range yesterday and she put 250 rounds thru without a single malfunction. I can appreciate the thoughts of "better training"but if your mind is so closed you can't see that it's a "Glock thing" not a shooter thing, you obviously don't listen to other people when they talk. The same woman with the same gun AFTER changing parts gets no btf problems. So that would tell anyone with an IQ over 90 it was the gun not the girl. (Btw, she is 5'8" works out 5 days a week and can bench press 190lbs...) If this was the ONLY gen 4 having problems it may be a person problem but I have seen at least one other besides this one...
Thanks
Congrats and glad it's working. Thanks for keeping everyone updated. It's threads like this that help people out.
glockguns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brass, extractor, generation 4