Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 13:27   #1
NRAninja
bad kitty

I need help with a trailer/camper in MD

Hello everyone,
I could use some advice from the GT brain trust. I need to get rid of a 25 foot aluminum camper that's been sitting by the side of my widowed grandmothers house for 15+ years. I don't have the title for it.

The summary of the story is as follows:
Grandpa bought this a long time ago. He passed several years ago. For one reason or another, it just ended up sitting by the house. At one point he did some work on it and it was usable, but that was a long time ago. Now rainwater gets in it, the floor is messed up, etc. It's pretty much ready for the scrap yard. Someone could probably use the frame to make a trailer for landscaping equipment or similar. The aluminum could also be scrapped. I don't really have the time/tools/know how for doing something like that, so I'm trying to get rid of it.

I called the scrap yard and they said they needed a title. It has a god only knows how old Virginia license plate on it, but I don't know if it was ever registered in Maryland. I don't know if grandpa ever titled it in Maryland or even had a title to begin with. He was the kind of guy who would buy a camper without a title, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm really really really trying to avoid putting it on Craigslist for free because grandma's house needs a decent amount of work and any cash I can get out of the trailer can go to a washer/dryer or siding or various other little projects that the house needs done.

How am I supposed to sell it without a title though? It's less than 39 feet and is subject to maryland title laws as far as I know. I don't know the manufacturer/model/year either. I found a 7 digit number on the tongue... not sure if it's the serial number or even helpful at all.

I attached some pics.
Any ideas or advice? Thanks GNG
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version   The Okie Corral - Click for larger version   The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
NRAninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 13:58   #2
gigab1te

I don't know about the laws in your state, but here in AZ you can apply for an abandoned vehicle title. I imagine your state will have something similar.
gigab1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 14:11   #3
fireguy129
NRA Member 2008

Cut the aluminum off it for scrap, burn the wood or whatever isn't metal, scrap iron the frame.
fireguy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:21   #4
skinny99
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy129 View Post
Cut the aluminum off it for scrap, burn the wood or whatever isn't metal, scrap iron the frame.
We have a winner! Cut it up so it will fit in the bed of your truck. It will take few trips to get rid of it all. Circular saw with a metal cutting blade will make short work of it. Campers are "usually" very thin material.

Prob sell the ball mount,axle and wheels and tires really easy. People are always looking for stuff like that.
Old 12-12-2012, 15:26   #5
TK-421

Turn it into something that doesn't look like a camper and try to scrap it that way. It shouldn't be hard, destruction is always easier than careful disassembly, since you don't care about it and just want it gone. If you really want, and you have some male children, give your kids some safety glasses, some sledge hammers, and tell them to not hurt each other. Boys love being told to go wild and break stuff, at least my brothers and I, and every other boy I knew would love to break stuff and go crazy.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 15:56   #6
Adjuster

That thing is cool. The shell appears to be in very good shape. I would gut it, new floor, install the interior amenities and go camping. Couple grand would really hook it up. One grand would make it functional.

You would be surprised what someone might pay for something like that. Put it on CraigsList for sale. Ebay if you want the whole world to see it. You should find out positively in your state what is needed for registration/title.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 16:22   #7
Rabid Rabbit

If you want to just sell it to a scrap yard and not get into the fun of destroying the camper yourself there is a process to get the title transfered. My BIL went through the process and even if he lived in PA it still would have taken a couple of months. He had to get the death cert for his GF and father, get his mother to sign the title, meet a cop at the barn where the car was stored to verify some id number on the trailer, send the paper work to the title folk get plates then the trailer was his. I highly recommend the cut and burn method.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 16:49   #8
oldsoldier

Do whatever is required to title it then put if up for sale. Put some work into it and it would be a good trailer on a lake, hunting camp, weekend getaway, etc. It looks like an older trailer. There are people that refurbish those and tow them with cars/trucks of the same age to weekend meetings. I wouldn't tear it apart until I tried to sell it as is.

Last edited by oldsoldier; 12-12-2012 at 16:51..
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 16:49   #9
Lee-online
Mul-ti-pass

Sell it as a camper for a hunting cabin. I know people who have done this to put on their hunting land.

óThomas Jefferson
Lee-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:07   #10
smokin762

People lose titles. This is nothing new, but you will need the VIN number. If you donít know where it is located, then call a Camper Dealer and asked to speak with somebody that can help you figure out where it could be located.

Then contact your local DMV and see if you can file for a lost title. I donít think you can take that trailer on the road without some kind of license plate. A title will be needed. The trailer might also need to be weighed for the title.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:15   #11
Eric
Big Giant Head

Why in the world does it have four entry doors? Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:24   #12
mac66
Plant the seed

Just go to your DMV or where ever you get license plates etc and tell them you have a trailer without a title. Take the make model and VIN (vehicle ID number) off the plate you mentioned. They will run it and if it doesn't come back stolen will give you a new title. I do it all the time with motorcycles, boats, trailers, cars etc.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:25   #13
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Looks like 2 doors. One photo shows the trailer to be very close to a wall.
Pics taken from front, then from the back.

At least that's how it looks to me.

ETA: Notice the 'crack' in the concrete in the photos.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 12-12-2012 at 17:26..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:43   #14
Jack_Pine
CLM Number 257
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
Sell it as a camper for a hunting cabin. I know people who have done this to put on their hunting land.
This....they buy them for that in Wisconsin all of the time. If it leaks they throw a tarp over it.
Old 12-12-2012, 17:52   #15
Monte4283

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
It looks like an older trailer. There are people that refurbish those and tow them with cars/trucks of the same age to weekend meetings. I wouldn't tear it apart until I tried to sell it as is.
Exactly, I would try selling or parting it out. You would be surprised at how much you can get for some old trailer parts. Those doors having round window could be worth a good bit to the right person.
Monte4283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:06   #16
USMCgs3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
This....they buy them for that in Wisconsin all of the time. If it leaks they throw a tarp over it.
Yes this is what I would do, if its really in the way give it away. Most "scrappers" dont care about a title since they cut it up anyway... it would make a good hunting cabin for sure.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
USMCgs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:28   #17
di11igaf
ibew

Cut up, scrap, use for Christmas money. I have a nice copper pile waiting to be stripped

Last edited by di11igaf; 12-12-2012 at 18:30..
di11igaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 23:37   #18
NRAninja
bad kitty

Thanks for the responses. This looks like it: http://www.allmanufacturedhomes.com/...neral_8x27.htm
Grandpa never titled it. We found all the papers for his other vehicles, but not the camper. The license plate is from 1959
Junkyard said $0.54/lb for the metal, so I could get that (minus the diesel) if I cut it up.
I'm probably going to craigslist it first "as is" and see what happens. Considering all the other work that needs to be done on the house, the time spent trying to squeeze every penny out of the camper isn't worth it.

So who wants to buy a camper?
Old 12-14-2012, 23:43   #19
NRAninja
bad kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
Looks like 2 doors. One photo shows the trailer to be very close to a wall.
Pics taken from front, then from the back.

At least that's how it looks to me.

ETA: Notice the 'crack' in the concrete in the photos.
Yep I took pics from the front end and back