Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2012, 18:21   #1
rkrk

light on my 590A1

The search option did not produce anything so here goes.

I want to mount a light on my 590A1. I am comfortable using a mounted light on my AR and pistols. I see many folks recommending mounting a light on the tube in front of the forend.

It seems that this position on the gun would either sacrifice the speed that you can cycle the gun or manipulate the light. I don't like the idea of having to manipulate the light in this position as I am trying to cycle the gun in the midst of an encounter and also consider the possibility that leaving the light on can make me a better target.

At this point my options otherwise seem to be an integrated forend (more money then I wanted to spend), a pressure pad on the forend or a small bit of rail installed on the forend and a TLR-1.

Thanks in advance
rk
rkrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:28   #2
Cole125
Silver Membership

Look into the new EOTech for end.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06   #3
Aceman

Since you are only considering the possibility that the light will make you a better target, ask yourself this:

Consider the amount of training you REALLY want if you be using a flash/move approach in the dark in your home - consider if you should even be doing that period as opposed to grab the gun, get to a choke point and call the popo.

Also, consider the vast majority of BG's - robbers who really do want to be shot. SO getting in a fight with a KNOWN shotgun is a bad idea to them.

Consider the likelihood that skulking around in the dark all amped on adrenaline the likelihood of tripping and accidental discharge, knocking things over and making a bunch of racquet, or just plain surprising someone who would have otherwise left. Oh yes - how about failing to identify a target.

Finally, show me just one example where someone said "Yeah - the BG was in my home and I had the light on. He triangulated the position of might light and opened fire. I got shot because of the light." And even if you do find ONE, all the rest were situations where that didn't happen. You are not combatting a bunch of former SEALS, SWAT, and other operators, and if you are they have night vision and you'll be dead.

I choose to turn the light on, leave it on and focus on one and only one thing - where is the target and go/no go. That is MORE than enough without getting all tactical fancy fancy.

I can reach the momentary switch on my light with my forefinger anyway. Not that I do...but I could.

Your decision may be different. Just something to consider.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53   #4
rkrk

Thanks for your post - some good points for sure.

rk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Since you are only considering the possibility that the light will make you a better target, ask yourself this:

Consider the amount of training you REALLY want if you be using a flash/move approach in the dark in your home - consider if you should even be doing that period as opposed to grab the gun, get to a choke point and call the popo.

Also, consider the vast majority of BG's - robbers who really do want to be shot. SO getting in a fight with a KNOWN shotgun is a bad idea to them.

Consider the likelihood that skulking around in the dark all amped on adrenaline the likelihood of tripping and accidental discharge, knocking things over and making a bunch of racquet, or just plain surprising someone who would have otherwise left. Oh yes - how about failing to identify a target.

Finally, show me just one example where someone said "Yeah - the BG was in my home and I had the light on. He triangulated the position of might light and opened fire. I got shot because of the light." And even if you do find ONE, all the rest were situations where that didn't happen. You are not combatting a bunch of former SEALS, SWAT, and other operators, and if you are they have night vision and you'll be dead.

I choose to turn the light on, leave it on and focus on one and only one thing - where is the target and go/no go. That is MORE than enough without getting all tactical fancy fancy.

I can reach the momentary switch on my light with my forefinger anyway. Not that I do...but I could.

Your decision may be different. Just something to consider.
rkrk is offline   Reply With Quote