Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-03-2012, 15:20   #1
knotquiteawake

Starting to look for my first Glock

I have always loved the Glock! Every one I have ever fired felt like it was built for my hands and eyes, I just love the sight picture!

Anyways, I am finally getting close to having enough money saved up to purchase my first Glock (currently don't even own anything like a full sized handgun, all the ones I own are more CWP oriented .32 and .38 specials).

I have settled on the Glock 19 because I like the price on the 9mm rounds, the availability of the round (because of its popularity), and its easier for my wife to shoot with too. I also liked the balance between "full sized" and "compact" that the Glock 19 has. Its big enough to shoot at the range all day, but small enough to carry concealed.

So I have some questions though.
I was thinking of buying used but so far, looking online, many of the used guns are nearly (if not more) expensive than buying brand new! I see many used g19s going for well over $500, when a new one (gen3 or 4) go for around $550. Whats the deal with that? Am I just not looking in the right places?
I had been hoping to find something around $450 gen3.

In buying used is there anything to look for? Glocks are supposed to be indestructible but surely there are warning signs of abuse?

Is there any way to know what year the gun was manufactured from the serial number? So I can get an idea of how old the gun I buy is?

Any suggestions between buying used or new? I'm not finding the price difference all the compelling.

Thanks! Looking forward to spending some more time here once I have my glock in hand.

(also, if anyone in the DFW area wants to sell me a gen3/4 g19 PM me! I have TX CHL and cash)
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:56   #2
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
So I have some questions though.
I was thinking of buying used but so far, looking online, many of the used guns are nearly (if not more) expensive than buying brand new! I see many used g19s going for well over $500, when a new one (gen3 or 4) go for around $550. Whats the deal with that? Am I just not looking in the right places?
I had been hoping to find something around $450 gen3.
I would wager a guess that it is because the newer Gen3 and Gen4 9mm Glocks have developed a bad reputation for problems. This has likely driven the price of couple year old Glocks up.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37   #3
"Cold Dead Hands" !

Buy a new G19 !
It's the perfect size and caliber for you and the Wifey.
Ammo is cheap and abundant.
They go in sale all the time, at prices as low or lower than most used ones.
Many places will price match within 50 miles, as long as their in stock at both places, simultaneously.
"Cold Dead Hands" ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:38   #4
Bruce M

Quote:
Is there any way to know what year the gun was manufactured from the serial number? So I can get an idea of how old the gun I buy is?

...)
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1445829
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45   #5
hps

Get urself a G26. I held off buying one of these lil gems because of its compact size, when I finally bought one and shot it I wondered what took me so long. GREAT carry and a good size for the little lady in ur life.
hps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25   #6
sioux565

Welcome to the forum.

What is going to be the main purpose for this gun? Home defense, range gun, or to carry? If you plan on carrying it more, I would recommend the G26.

When I was in the market for my first Glock, I had to decide between the 23 and the 27. I ended up going with the 27 because I wanted it to be my daily carry gun and it fits that role well.

Regardless of what model you get, you will enjoy it! I'd say buy new if you can!
sioux565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38   #7
knotquiteawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

What is going to be the main purpose for this gun? Home defense, range gun, or to carry? If you plan on carrying it more, I would recommend the G26.
Here is my dilemma. I want it for all three (home defense if I cannot unsecure the shotgun quickly, rangetime , and also carry).

Right now I have a Seecamp .32acp. Its TINY, Its awesome bit of american craftsmanship with its all stainless body. Very easy to conceal as it is hardly bigger than the palm of my hand. However, its finnicky with ammo, and the .32 round is very lightweight. I think I would rather it be a backup gun or a warm weather/clothing restriction (clothes where I cannot carry something bigger) gun.

I don't own any full size handguns. Only the .32, a snub .38 special, and the quintessential 18.5in home defense 12ga.
So I really want something close to full size.

So I really am very torn between the g26 and g27. I've had an airsoft g19 for years, love the way it feels in my hand, its nearly identical in size/grip/weight to the real deal. I have had no hands on time with a g26 though.

I do want to start carrying it daily. Some people say its just as easy to carry a g19 as it is a g26, others say no. Its a big investiment. Really don't want to screw it up as I've been saving for almost a year now to purchase (hard to save when you get a new baby and a new (to me) house in the same year).
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 13:16   #8
F106 Fan

Before you plunk down your hard earned cash, you need to think long and hard about buying a late model Gen 3 or a Gen 4 9mm. It won't take five minutes of research to find that a fair percentage of these guns are problematic.

You have a good chance of getting one of the guns that has ejection problems and if the cost of this gun is significant, you have a real chance of being disappointed.

Look around for a Gen 3 made back around 2006 and certainly before 2008. Don't even consider a Gen 4.

If it were just a range gun, something to kick around or just one of a dozen other guns in the gunsafe, no problem. If the ejection problems cropped up it would be no big deal - you could play around and, maybe, get it resolved. But it sounds like this is a significant investment so do your research.

Richard
Old 12-04-2012, 13:42   #9
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Before you plunk down your hard earned cash, you need to think long and hard about buying a late model Gen 3 or a Gen 4 9mm. It won't take five minutes of research to find that a fair percentage of these guns are problematic.

You have a good chance of getting one of the guns that has ejection problems and if the cost of this gun is significant, you have a real chance of being disappointed.

Look around for a Gen 3 made back around 2006 and certainly before 2008. Don't even consider a Gen 4.

If it were just a range gun, something to kick around or just one of a dozen other guns in the gunsafe, no problem. If the ejection problems cropped up it would be no big deal - you could play around and, maybe, get it resolved. But it sounds like this is a significant investment so do your research.

Richard

F 106 is giving you some very sage advice with this statement.

One wonders why used Glocks are closer in price to new,then too Glocks historically have always been known to hold their value. Good Luck in your decision. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:00   #10
"Cold Dead Hands" !

I found the Naby Glock just as easy to carry as the G19
You can do everything with a G19, and the ammo is cheap.
"Cold Dead Hands" ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:34   #11
clarkz71

Quote:
I have settled on the Glock 19 because I like the price on the 9mm rounds, the availability of the round (because of its popularity), and its easier for my wife to shoot with too. I also liked the balance between "full sized" and "compact" that the Glock 19 has. Its big enough to shoot at the range all day, but small enough to carry concealed.
You'll like the G19. it is the do all Glock.

I carry a G23 which is the same size gun. I live in
Florida and no problem CCW with the right holster.
In hot climate an IWB works better.
On the few weeks here & there during "winter"
I use a Milt Sparks OWB rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps View Post
Get urself a G26. I held off buying one of these lil gems because of its compact size, when I finally bought one and shot it I wondered what took me so long. GREAT carry and a good size for the little lady in ur life.
Unless you go to the range and rent both don't let
anyone (me included) tell you what to buy. All opinion.

The G26 is a subcompact with a 2 finger grip. You can
add a +2 mag floor plate with pinky rest but then you
have a grip close to 19 length. Also smaller guns tend
to recoil a little more. The 9mm isn't as bad as a .40 G27
but you want your wife to be able to grip the weapon well
and a full grip G19 instills confidence.

Quote:
Here is my dilemma. I want it for all three (home defense if I cannot unsecure the shotgun quickly, rangetime , and also carry).

I do want to start carrying it daily. Some people say its just as easy to carry a g19 as it is a g26, others say no.
You don't want a .40 G27 for a first gun, recoil on that
is something you work up to. 9mm is perfect to learn on
and after as a HD & CCW weapon. For SD/CCW you want
a good round like Speer Gold Dot or Ranger T in 124gr +P

As far as the 19 vs 26 for CCW, with the right holster
either conceals well. But the grip and capacity of the
G19 makes any compromise, if there is one worth it.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:30   #12
sioux565

Quote:

Right now I have a Seecamp .32acp. Its TINY, Its awesome bit of american craftsmanship with its all stainless body. Very easy to conceal as it is hardly bigger than the palm of my hand. However, its finnicky with ammo, and the .32 round is very lightweight. I think I would rather it be a backup gun or a warm weather/clothing restriction (clothes where I cannot carry something bigger) gun.

I don't own any full size handguns. Only the .32, a snub .38 special, and the quintessential 18.5in home defense 12ga.

So I really am very torn between the g26 and g27. I've had an airsoft g19 for years, love the way it feels in my hand, its nearly identical in size/grip/weight to the real deal. I have had no hands on time with a g26 though.

I do want to start carrying it daily. Some people say its just as easy to carry a g19 as it is a g26, others say no. Its a big investiment. Really don't want to screw it up as I've been saving for almost a year now to purchase (hard to save when you get a new baby and a new (to me) house in the same year).
Is there a range near you that rents Glock's?

I have the Pierce +2 magazine extension on one of my magazines for my G27. If I used it, it essentially turns it into a G23. I've tried carrying it IWB with the extension on, but there is too big of a difference compared to the stock magazine.
sioux565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:50   #13
IllinoisGun

I bought me first Glock in 2007, a G19, and never looked back. I even sold the rest of me other pistols to buy more. I like the uniform trigger and magazine interchangeability on the Glocksters. No more safe queens. Since I moved to a CCW state I now buy these guns and shoot them with sheer abandon. Too bad ammo prices are irreversibly high these days.

Enjoy the so-called Dark Side!
IllinoisGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:14   #14
cajun_chooter

Shoot one before buying... find a range that rents one and it it shoots right.. buy that particular one..

lots of folks are having ejection problems with Glocks... and Glock is denying it.. BUYER BEWARE !!!
cajun_chooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 17:05   #15
bac1023

I'd look for a used gen 3 G19 from the mid 2000's. They were as good a gun as Glock ever made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 18:49   #16
onemanwolfpack
1 man wolf pack

i just found a used gen 3 glock 19 for 400 with a june 2012 production date, its a great gun, i did have BTF issues wiht it, I sent it back to glock, and some time later I got it back and seems alot better. I have since added a 3.5 trigger connector and got a few g17 mags with x-grips, my glock came with 3 mags and I just put pierce grips on those for a firmer grip, long story short, either way you are getting a great gun...theres isnt alot more to think about with a g19, considering its a workhorse. most everyone I know with guns has a g19...hope this helps
onemanwolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 19:13   #17
OhioGlock90

If you cant find a used Glock for a good deal spend the extra 50 bucks and get a new one. That was the route i decided on when i bought my G26 and am very happy with it. BTW my G26 is a late gen 3 and has had no issues! Dont let a small amount of trouble Glocks keep you away from the newer ones.
Just my two cents.
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 19:24   #18
Lowjiber

My EDC gun is a G26 (gen 3). I bought a Gen 4 19 a while back. When I took it to the range, my wife fell in love with and made me get another one for me.

I'd buy a NIB 19 if it were my first Glock (it won't be your last). Around here (Las Vegas), the Gen 3's are $500 and the Gen 4's are $550. However, you get three magazines with the new Gen 4 and only two with the Gen 3. No big deal, but it makes the price differential a bit smaller.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47   #19
G36shooter

My '94 vintage gen2 19 works all the time, good luck on your search.
G36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 20:43   #20
Benji40

Have you looked on Armslist.com? How about Summitgunbroker? You may find some affordable options. Also the .40s don't feel a whole lot different from the 9s to me, if you can shoot them at a range and get a side by side comparison for the feel. You may come to the same conclusion and Tulammo steel cased feeds just fine and is almost as cheap as the 9mm.

If money is real tight you probably won't be burning up hundreds of rounds per outing anyway, been there.
Benji40 is offline   Reply With Quote