SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-15-2012, 19:17   #1
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Learned a lesson on my deer hunt today-

Found a guy the next county over that offers day hunts for whitetail deer. I lost my lease last year and this was a great way to scratch the itch.
Drove out this morning and he took me to the morning stand. My deer rifle is a battle worn Remington 700 BDL in 30-'06. I grabbed eight rounds from a two year old box of Remington Core-Lokt the night before and wrapped them in paper towels.
In the stand I pulled four rounds and loaded the magazine in the dark, and at 7:45 after hearing much shooting around, my deer meandered into the feed plot. There were two good sized doe and a rather majestic buck- he was six or eight, I didn't glass him. He looked great in the scope but I let him live for the next guy who will pay to have him mounted.
I decided on a nice doe and pulled the trigger- buck and doe one way, my doe the other.
I looked down to check the time, then I noticed another young one-tine buck feeding on the plot. WTH, I shot him.
When I went to track them I found only one blood trail that led to the little buck.
Further investigation revealed a patch of white belly fur and a little chunk of white skin plug- no blood, where I'd shot the nice doe.
All signs said I missed. Second shot was spot on, maybe there was a branch in the way.....
But on the way to lunch, I pulled the two cases out of my pocket and noticed the problem- one was a.270 Winchester, the other a 30-'06 SPRG.
Somewhere along the line this box of ammo encountered a switcheroo- I don't own a .270, explained the missed deer and what not.
Old 12-15-2012, 21:07   #2
K.Kiser

Probably lost a ton of velocity, and gained a ton of keyholing if you sent a .270 downrange..
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37   #3
noway

Now you know to always check your ammo

That's why I refuse to hunt with 2 caliber of rifles and similar headspacing and while I do have multiple rifle cals, I always inspect each round that I chamber into my action box magazine.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38   #4
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Definitely will check next season. I never had a reason to before this! In hindsight I'm very glad I didn't wound that nice big buck, I saw some pictures of him on the trailcam yesterday- that bad boy is going over somebody's fireplace for sure.
Old 12-19-2012, 19:58   #5
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Maybe that's why Elmer Keith never liked the .270...he kept trying to shoot them in his 30/06!!!

.270 is my favorite round FWIW

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:41   #6
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Don't feel too bad, I got a 9mm into my .40 before. No idea how it got mixed in since I didn't have any 9mm. I must have thought I dropped it and threw it into my box without looking.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote