Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2012, 16:02   #1
Alderak

new compound bow

thinking about a new hoyt charger... http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/details/charger

anyone shot one yet? any other suggestions in the price range? ($500 bare, $650 package)

I'm looking for a bow for deer and elk hunting, not competition.
Alderak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:15   #2
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderak View Post
thinking about a new hoyt charger... http://www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/details/charger

anyone shot one yet? any other suggestions in the price range? ($500 bare, $650 package)

I'm looking for a bow for deer and elk hunting, not competition.
Nice piece, Hoyt makes great bows.
Only one observation: if this will be your first bow, I would recommend a single cam model instead of a twin cam like the Charger. Single cams are smoother and easier to draw.
My advice if you are just starting in this sport is to visit an archery shop and try before you buy. Have them measure your draw and your optimal pull and and recommend you the best bow package that fits your budget. Don't do the mistake I did when I got my first bow of the Internet. It didn't fit me and I lost $250 when I had to trade it.

Last edited by Zombie Surgeon; 12-08-2012 at 16:17..
Zombie Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:21   #3
G17Jake

I would think a Hoyt bow would do well for hunting.

Is it the best bow for you for the money?.... I don't know.

Last edited by G17Jake; 12-08-2012 at 16:27..
G17Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:21   #4
G17Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Surgeon View Post
Only one observation: if this will be your first bow, I would recommend a single cam model instead of a twin cam like the Charger. Single cams are smoother and easier to draw.
My advice if you are just starting in this sport is to visit an archery shop and try before you buy. Have them measure your draw and your optimal pull and and recommend you the best bow package that fits your budget. Don't do the mistake I did when I got my first bow of the Internet. It didn't fit me and I lost $250 when I had to trade it.
I agree.
G17Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:55   #5
Hummerbike

Not a good choice for a first bow. Brace height is a little low and the bow is a short bow. A 33 to 35 inch bow with a brace height of about 7 1/2 inches is a very forgiving bow, and possibly quieter as well.

On the other hand, if you've been shooting awhile and have good form, that would be a great bow. Especially, if hunting from a tree stand. Personally, I prefer a longer bow.

Last edited by Hummerbike; 12-08-2012 at 16:58..
Hummerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 17:05   #6
RichJ

Quote:
The Charger isn't a double cam. It's a modified single cam with an extra half turn on the wheel; Hoyt calls it a "cam-and-a-half" and they are known for their smooth draw cycles.

You must shoot a Mathews.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 17:18   #7
LippCJ7

looks are only looks.

Go to an Archery Shop and shoot it, I don't care what brand talks to you but if you go to a good Archery Shop with multiple brands I am certain one Bow will talk to you.

If this is your first, I don't know how else to put it, one bow will feel like you have had it in your hands many many times before and when you let an arrow go you will know right then which Bow is for you.

You Cannot go wrong with a Hoyt, Great Bows.
Old 12-08-2012, 17:20   #8
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
The Charger isn't a double cam. It's a modified single cam with an extra half turn on the wheel; Hoyt calls it a "cam-and-a-half" and they are known for their smooth draw cycles.

You must shoot a Mathews.
No, I actually shoot a Martin Slayer X. Twin cam.

Anyho, he needs a longer and more forgiving bow to start.

Last edited by Zombie Surgeon; 12-08-2012 at 17:24..
Zombie Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 21:01   #9
RichJ

Quote:
No, I actually shoot a Martin Slayer X. Twin cam.

Anyho, he needs a longer and more forgiving bow to start.
Not sure if it matters in this case, but as a short person, my 32" bow with a 7" brace height is very forgiving. I just started shooting bows a few years ago and my groups are pretty good considering my experience. A taller person might have different results with a short bow though.

I also went Hoyt (Rampage XT) and am very happy with that choice for a first bow. Can't beat the lifetime guarantee either.

BTW: The rumor mill says Martin is going bankrupt. Heard that?
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote