GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39   #1
JW1178
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,985
A Christmas Carol

A horror story of how a conservative capitalist was brainwashed into a liberal socialist. Don't let this happen to you.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50   #2
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 3,820
Many years ago Wall Street Journal had an op ed to this effect. It did not join their group of traditional reprints.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:57   #3
Ironbar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The GR8 ST8 of Orygun!
Posts: 1,896
Incorrect. It's a story of a hardcore capitalist/isolationist who is taught the true meaning of capitalism by making him understand that his isolationist tendencies do nothing to grow his business. After his otherworldly intervention, Scrooge decides to spread the joy of capitalism to good old London town, and in the process becomes more well-liked, easier to do business with, and grows his company from one employee to hundreds prior to his passing.
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32   #4
Batesmotel
Senior Member
 
Batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12,640
Sort of like Wizard of Oz.

Teenage girl from a broken home runs away with three older disturbed men and kills the first two women she meets.
__________________
If it can't get you in trouble, it's not an adventure.
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50   #5
boone10
Glockeologist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 300
As Ed would have said to Johnny, "You are correct, sir".
boone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58   #6
Annoyedgrunt
Dry Heat my ASS
 
Annoyedgrunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 5,594
Only on a gunboard.

I've always thought it was about a lonely curmudgeon discovering the spirit of Christmas and goodwill towards fellow man, but then again, I don't view everything in life through political-colored glasses, either.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
That's true. Because those with very high IQs are often found on the general BS section of gun forums, stating as much to those who will listen.
Annoyedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02   #7
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
A horror story of how a conservative capitalist was brainwashed into a liberal socialist. Don't let this happen to you.
Me thinks someone needs to go read that story again.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13   #8
Batesmotel
Senior Member
 
Batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyedgrunt View Post
Only on a gunboard.

I've always thought it was about a lonely curmudgeon discovering the spirit of Christmas and goodwill towards fellow man, but then again, I don't view everything in life through political-colored glasses, either.
You should meet my brother in law. Everything has to have a socio-political slant to it.
__________________
If it can't get you in trouble, it's not an adventure.
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:16   #9
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyedgrunt View Post
I've always thought it was about a lonely curmudgeon discovering the spirit of Christmas and goodwill towards fellow man
See, the funny thing about this forum, is that when the republicans see someone being nice to others, they try and insult that person by calling them a liberal. It seems their way of thinking is the world is a better place if everyone is an a'hole to everyone, and nobody is nice. Because, apparently liberals are the only people who are nice to other people, and being nice to people is a horrible, horrible thing.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21   #10
Annoyedgrunt
Dry Heat my ASS
 
Annoyedgrunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
See, the funny thing about this forum, is that when the republicans see someone being nice to others, they try and insult that person by calling them a liberal. It seems their way of thinking is the world is a better place if everyone is an a'hole to everyone, and nobody is nice. Because, apparently liberals are the only people who are nice to other people, and being nice to people is a horrible, horrible thing.
Yep. I've often thought that if GNG were to have a motto, it should be "I got mine, you can go **** yourself. Oh, and God bless."

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
That's true. Because those with very high IQs are often found on the general BS section of gun forums, stating as much to those who will listen.
Annoyedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21   #11
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Well, I don't know. It's a seemingly simple story that actually might be more complicated. Dickens had a lot to say about society.

You could also argue that it's a triumph of capitalism. Scrooge does nothing to change the social structure. If you think Scrooge actually did change, then the only change is his individual redemption.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04   #12
Bow Commander
Senior Member
 
Bow Commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyedgrunt View Post
Yep. I've often thought that if GNG were to have a motto, it should be "I got mine, you can go **** yourself. Oh, and God bless."



You owe me a keyboard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact View Post
if you don't spend $3500 on a one-off custom made 1911 that was made on machines lubricated with the blood of poor people, it's a piece of garbage, and will inevitably cost you your life.
Bow Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37   #13
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat
 
happyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
Well, I don't know. It's a seemingly simple story that actually might be more complicated. Dickens had a lot to say about society.

You could also argue that it's a triumph of capitalism. Scrooge does nothing to change the social structure. If you think Scrooge actually did change, then the only change is his individual redemption.
Dickens is awsome. Simple story on the face of it but with more depth than most around here will ever discover.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
__________________
"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire." - Arnold H. Glasgow
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:21   #14
silversport
Senior Member
 
silversport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicagoland USA
Posts: 2,646


Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyedgrunt View Post
Only on a gunboard.

I've always thought it was about a lonely curmudgeon discovering the spirit of Christmas and goodwill towards fellow man, but then again, I don't view everything in life through political-colored glasses, either.
we think that it is because it is...

Bill
__________________
****G17**G21 Gen4**G30S****
*NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER/LEAA LIFE MEMBER*
*Like What You've Got?...Thank a Vet!*

Last edited by silversport; 12-08-2012 at 06:26..
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:16   #15
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 18,591
Well, I always thought both Dickens and Marx did a good job of describing unregulated capitalism.

Other authors are left to describe the problems of too much socialism in the economy.

No matter what, USA is best

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 12-08-2012 at 07:17..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 788
189 Members
599 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42