CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

State should reject gun bills despite NRA

http://republicanherald.com/opinion/...-nra-1.1414151
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41   #2
Henry's Dad
woof, woof

I'm torn on this national reciprocity law.

On the one hand (as a PA resident), it would be nice to travel to MD, NJ or NY and have my permit recognized. I'd love to see lefty states get their restrictive laws affecting me slapped down. If they want to ban their own residents, fine. But why impede my abilty as a traveler/tourist to exercise my 2A rights?

On the other hand, there's my general wearieness about the feds getting involved in this sort of thing, esp. if this law were to be amended down the road by the anti-gun left.

I guess I would rather see a federal court tell these states that they are in violation of the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution when they restrict my ability as a traveler/tourist to carry under my PA permit.

Then again, if you read the FFC clause...

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

...it would seem constitutionally appropriate for Congress to delineate this sort of thing for the states.
Henry's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49   #3
badge315

The states actually give very little "full faith and credit" to other states licensing procedures. Other than driver's licenses, what licenses issued by a state are accepted reciprocally by other states?

For example, I have to have a separate private investigator license issued by each state in which I work.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51   #4
Fox
Varmit Control

My right to self defense does not end when I drive across a state line. There needs to be nationwide CCW.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53   #5
Fox
Varmit Control

BTW, it's a moot discussion as the bills won't get past the Democrat controlled senate. It sure as hell won't get signed by Obama.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58   #6
Henry's Dad
woof, woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge315 View Post
The states actually give very little "full faith and credit" to other states licensing procedures. Other than driver's licenses, what licenses issued by a state are accepted reciprocally by other states?

For example, I have to have a separate private investigator license issued by each state in which I work.
I suppose if the National Association of Private Invastigators (or whatever such group may exist) lobbied hard enough, Congress would consider acting on their authority to regulate the interstate licensing reciprocity of your industry.

The fact that Congress has not done this leads me to believe P.I.s just haven't raised that much of a stink about it (ie, you need better lobbyists! ).
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08   #7
badge315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Dad View Post
I suppose if the National Association of Private Invastigators (or whatever such group may exist) lobbied hard enough, Congress would consider acting on their authority to regulate the interstate licensing reciprocity of your industry.

The fact that Congress has not done this leads me to believe P.I.s just haven't raised that much of a stink about it (ie, you need better lobbyists! ).
Maybe so, but apparently the doctors', lawyers', nurses', and teachers' lobbies aren't any better.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 15:17   #8
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
BTW, it's a moot discussion as the bills won't get past the Democrat controlled senate. It sure as hell won't get signed by Obama.
Unless it gets included in a bill he really wants, like the National Parks carry bill was. It was included in the credit card reform legislation.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 15:20   #9
HexHead

This should be no different than other states recognizing your driver's license. Or your heterosexual marriage.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 15:32   #10
Henry's Dad
woof, woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
This should be no different than other states recognizing your driver's license. Or your heterosexual marriage.
Ah, but of course there is the question of recognizing gay marriages. Legal in some states but not others. And Obama has said he won't enforce DOMA, which is the law of the land at the moment.