Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 13:35   #201
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
Can't tell an MMA guy that, it's like arguing with a liberal. I train those strikes, and better, train to defend against them. Cage fighters train for the rules, and that'll hold them against 90% or better of the population.

Problem is, you fight like you train, like this guy in the vid below. Christ, a flurry of punches, kicks, and knees, and nary a one landed. The other guy is still standing and even telling the cameraman how he won that scrap
Mall cop isn't an MMA fighter, and that guy isn't Randy Couture, hall of famer.

Apples and oranges.
Old 12-06-2012, 14:41   #202
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Morning Report: Steven Seagal accepts no-rules fight against Randy Couture on stipulation that no witnesses are present

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/12/4...e-no-witnesses

WOW The fight would just go straight to DVD anyways (like the rest of Seagal's movies)
Old 12-06-2012, 14:54   #203
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus1079 View Post
WOW The fight would just go straight to DVD anyways (like the rest of Seagal's movies)
Now THAT'S funny!
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Old 12-06-2012, 15:11   #204
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmayhem View Post
I think the problem all started when argubly greatest MMA fighter of al time Anderson Silva brought Steven Seagal back into the martial arts spotlight for whatever reason. I think it's nostalgia on Anderson's part or maybe Seagal is paying him to hang around and get his face back on the tube. Either way, after Seagal began to shoot his mouth off about how he taught Anderson his "secret techniques," that's when other MMA fighters like Randy Couture began to call him out on his BS. At this point I wish he would just go away.
Isn't it possible that Seagal actually taught Silva something? Like you said, arguably the greatest MMA fighter of time. What does Silva have to gain from associating with a C-level movie star, whose best movies are twenty years past? Isn't it more likely that he's not associating with the crappy actor Seagal, but rather with the 7th level black belt Seagal that devoted ~15-20 years of his life to nothing other than Aikido, and then went into acting back in the 1980s?
Old 12-06-2012, 19:08   #205
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
I wouldn't go that far. You know how many military guys we have come into our gym wanting to go pro from day 1? At least 4 a month. Want to know how many are currently sponsored and fighting pro out of my gym? One.

At least 4 military types come in a month wanting to get into MMA, than after they get smacked around in full contact sparring...they take their gloves off, sit in the corner the rest of that night, and we never see them again.

One Marine even came in and started trash talking to one of our guys that's currently 12-3 and contracted with Bellator Fighting Championships. He went home with a bloody mouth that night and never returned.

I suggest you visit the best local MMA gym near you and see what the pro fighters do.

MMA does not interest me. I watched it when it first started but I lost touch with it and I was not paying for the pay per views to watch it. But we could say pro wrestling is fixed too and the guys to there and get their tails kicked. But I understand where you are coming from.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30   #206
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post

In college I went full steam against my instructor and he just dodged and batted my attacks until he got my wrist. Then, he tossed me around for a minute before making me jump onto my head and tap out.

....because I hate those stinkin' joint locks. Pressure points have no effect on me but those joint locks can be brutal.
Old 12-08-2012, 13:56   #207
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I choked out Judo Jean using Segal's pony tail.
Old 12-08-2012, 14:12   #208
Kevinr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
If MMA people weren't so predictable and sloppy, I might take them seriously.

You have a wonderful imagination!
I don't know how big you are but I'll happily get you set up in an MMA match with someone of a similar weight class.

If MMA is so predictable, and you can't take MMA fighters seriously, you wouldn't have a problem fighting one of them.

No I'm not a professional fighter, I do train and one of my best friends is the head coach for a local MMA gym that has many professional fighters, a few even with UFC contracts.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Old 12-08-2012, 15:20   #209
Rotn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post
I don't know how big you are but I'll happily get you set up in an MMA match with someone of a similar weight class.

If MMA is so predictable, and you can't take MMA fighters seriously, you wouldn't have a problem fighting one of them.

No I'm not a professional fighter, I do train and one of my best friends is the head coach for a local MMA gym that has many professional fighters, a few even with UFC contracts.
This............
Stop confusing Internet fantasies with real life. Of course he would easily kick their butt considering how sloppy and predictable they fight.
Old 12-08-2012, 22:38   #210
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post

....because I hate those stinkin' joint locks. Pressure points have no effect on me but those joint locks can be brutal.
I know, right? My sons, who at 13 and 15 are getting close to my size and, in several ways, are stronger than me, still won't fight/wrestle me because they know I will get their hands and make them pay.

Its kind of awesome, being invincible ...
Old 12-08-2012, 22:43   #211
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post
I know, right? My sons, who at 13 and 15 are getting close to my size and, in several ways, are stronger than me, still won't fight/wrestle me because they know I will get their hands and make them pay.

Its kind of awesome, being invincible ...
For now, wait till they are 17 and 18 sir, no more Mr. Invincible

Trust me you have to start fighting dirty to take them at that point
Old 12-08-2012, 22:46   #212
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post

You have anything in MMMA (Mature Mixed Martial Arts) in the PMOoS (Pretty Much Out Of Shape) class you can set up for me. I am thinking 1 minute rounds with 3 time outs allowed per round and biting and eye gouging allowed
Old 12-08-2012, 23:14   #213

I stated my opinion with no personal claims of anything.

Yet some here claim to train with so and so, they want to mount me and they know some one has contracts with whatever - but they are all anonymous. And I'm the one who is being called an internet warrior, having internet fantasies or other implications. Yeah, whatever.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
Old 12-08-2012, 23:26   #214
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
I stated my opinion with no personal claims of anything.

Yet some here claim to train with so and so, they want to mount me and they know some one has contracts with whatever - but they are all anonymous. And I'm the one who is being called an internet warrior, having internet fantasies or other implications. Yeah, whatever.

This one pretty much did you in:

Quote:
If MMA people weren't so predictable and sloppy, I might take them seriously.

You have a wonderful imagination!

That's like saying you'd stand and bang with Frank Mir. You would...until he got to the other side of that cage, then you'd be laying down.

That said, I see no logical reason why you'd think Couture is "predictable and sloppy".

Last edited by tantrix; 12-08-2012 at 23:27..
Old 12-08-2012, 23:34   #215

Quote:
This one pretty much did you in:

That's like saying you'd stand and bang with Frank Mir. You would...until he got to the other side of that cage, then you'd be laying down.
I have no idea who Frank Mir is/was, nor do I care.

Quote:
That said, I see no logical reason why you'd think Couture is "predictable and sloppy".
You have you're opinion about fighting styles. I have mine. It's that simple.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 12-08-2012 at 23:35..
Old 12-08-2012, 23:41   #216
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
I have no idea who Frank Mir is/was, nor do I care.
One of the top-rated heavyweights in the world. But, you don't know who he is, so fair enough.

Quote:
You have you're opinion about fighting styles. I have mine. It's that simple.
Ok, fair enough again.
Old 12-09-2012, 00:14   #217
JohnH

Randy Couture was a world class Greco/Roman wrestler, and past his prime, I might add, before he entered MMA. As a wrestler, he would have taken Steven Seagal down and mauled him in two seconds. Seagal, like Bruce Lee, has created an image that is total fantasy compared to men who have actually competed in competition and proven their skills. Real fight? The Gracies tested their system against all comers and proved their system works. Seagal has no intention of ever fighting Randy Couture.
Old 12-09-2012, 00:20   #218
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
Randy Couture was a world class Greco/Roman wrestler, and past his prime, I might add, before he entered MMA. As a wrestler, he would have taken Steven Seagal down and mauled him in two seconds. Seagal, like Bruce Lee, has created an image that is total fantasy compared to men who have actually competed in competition and proven their skills. Real fight? The Gracies tested their system against all comers and proved their system works. Seagal has no intention of ever fighting Randy Couture.
I am not so sure you are right about either Lee or Seagal creating a "fantasy" image about themselves. Both were trained and mastered forms that are very old, proven and respected. I do agree their acting made many think they were like so many other action stars nothing but Hollywood products. In reality they both were true master of their forms were they not?

I have no ideal who would beat who in the mentioned match if both were in their prime. But to write either party off as a punching bag for the other seems a little crazy to me.
Old 12-09-2012, 00:36   #219
JohnH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
In reality they both were true master of their forms were they not?
Yes, they are masters of forms, not actual combat or competition. Very, very big difference.

Last edited by JohnH; 12-09-2012 at 01:40..
Old 12-09-2012, 01:11   #220
Ruggles

Quote:
Yes, they masters of forms, not actual combat or competition. Very, very big difference.
I would guess that during obtaining that level they most likely did more than slap fights in the dojo.

I mean MMA fights has rules right, so I would not say it was "combat". In fact I would think there is more regulation in MMA matches than in some of the dojos that those two trained and sparred.

Lee was not a guy who faked what he did on screen, and if I remember right he was both in a number of formal fights as well as street fights in Hong Kong. Man was the "real deal" IMO.

Seagal trained in Japan when very few asians did, and he was very successful doing so. As I stated I doubt that training was gentle and in fact I would guess it was pretty violent at times.

I am not well versed in this subject but again just think its silly to write Seagal off as someone like Stallone who is all Hollywood.

Last edited by Ruggles; 12-09-2012 at 01:27..
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48   #221
JohnH

"In fact I would think there is more regulation in MMA matches than in some of the dojos that those two trained and sparred."

Training and sparring (headgear, training gloves, etc.) is not full contact fighting.

"Lee was not a guy who faked what he did on screen, and if I remember right he was both in a number of formal fights as well as street fights in Hong Kong. Man was the "real deal" IMO."

All his fights on screen were choreographed. All his alleged street fights are anecdotal.

Gene Lebell allegedly choked out Steven Seagall on a movie set.

Last edited by JohnH; 12-09-2012 at 01:51..
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14   #222
Ruggles

Quote:
"In fact I would think there is more regulation in MMA matches than in some of the dojos that those two trained and sparred."

Training and sparring (headgear, training gloves, etc.) is not full contact fighting.

"Lee was not a guy who faked what he did on screen, and if I remember right he was both in a number of formal fights as well as street fights in Hong Kong. Man was the "real deal" IMO."

All his fights on screen were choreographed. All his alleged street fights are anecdotal.

Gene Lebell allegedly choked out Steven Seagall on a movie set.
Where are you seeing that those dojo fights used gloves or pads? You do realize when these two were training it was 40 years ago right. These guys were not training at the dojo next to Subway down the block from you.

Of course their scenes in the movies were staged, their skills were not though. So were Couture's fight scenes in his movies, does that make him any less of the real deal?

Again I have no ideal how this would turn out, but it would not be as one sided as you seem to think it would.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:46   #223
DAKA

Bunch of CRAP, who gives a S**T.
What I'd really like to see is ANYONE take on the midget..TOM CRUISE as JACK REACHER... who in the ****** cast that useless POS as REACHER.
I will not pay to see this JOKE
Old 12-09-2012, 10:50   #224
Tango 1Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
What I'd really like to see is ANYONE take on the midget..TOM CRUISE as JACK REACHER... who in the ****** cast that useless POS as REACHER.
haha ditto.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08   #225
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
Tom has that giant nose, he could do a head but/nose poke in the eye and take anybody down!
Closed Thread