Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 15:08   #461
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDahl View Post
But the Glock is carried in C0, not C1...
C0 would apply if the striker/FP were 100% retracted.
It's actually (depending on who you ask) 58% to 65%.

The initial trigger take up is the remaining "cocking"

Lets call it Cond 0.5
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 12-11-2012 at 15:31..
Old 12-11-2012, 15:10   #462
dosei

Quote:
Semantics...

When a properly functioning Glock has a round in the chamber and nothing is pulling the trigger, the "safeties" are all fully engaged. Thus it can also be stated that the Glock is in C1.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
Old 12-11-2012, 15:26   #463
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
I knew I posted 2 horses for a reason. .General Glocking
By golly, you're right. And two dead horses are better than one.
Old 12-11-2012, 15:54   #464
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Actually, I'll accept either C0 or C1 for Glocks. My inclination, however, is to say C0 is most accurate because all thats necessary to fire a chambered Glock is to pull the trigger.

In my simple way of seeing things, the only difference between a 1911 in C0 (cocked but not locked) and a Glock (partially cocked but not locked) is the trigger pull distance and weight. Some believe the Glock trigger constitutes a safety, but I don't get it. A 'safety', to me, means a device that prevents the trigger from being pulled. Period. No trigger pull, no BANG.

In the instant case, the OP's weapon would not have fired if a mechanical safety had been in employed.

Have I missed an important point(s) here? I'll not be surprised if I have, cause I'm in over my head.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 12-11-2012 at 15:59..
Old 12-11-2012, 16:01   #465
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
In the instant case, the OP's weapon would not have fired if a mechanical safety had been in employed.
Wrong. Given the mechanical problems/failures the gun had, an external manual safety would not have prevented the discharge.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)

Last edited by dosei; 12-11-2012 at 16:02..
Old 12-11-2012, 16:22   #466
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Wrong. Given the mechanical problems/failures the gun had, an external manual safety would not have prevented the discharge.
...because the trigger didn't have to be pulled in order for the gun to fire. I'm with ya on that dosei. I'll always be with ya when you're right!

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 12-11-2012 at 16:24..
Old 12-11-2012, 16:42   #467
dango

Well , now I'm all paranoid. I've taken my night stand gun apart several times now looking at things through different eyes.
Old 12-11-2012, 17:45   #468
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Well , now I'm all paranoid. I've taken my night stand gun apart several times now looking at things through different eyes.
Congrats, dango. When it comes to firearm safety, me thinks a little paranoia can be a good thing.

Now I've got to start studying Kahr pistol mechanics to figure out if they're 75% cocked, half cocked, less than half cocked, or not cocked at all (I'm getting dizzy). The CW9 is intended to be my breakthrough to C1, but this discussion makes me want to learn about their safety system(s) and safety shortcomings before I move forward.

Exit stage left. Kahr forum here I come. Dang!

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 12-11-2012 at 23:57..
Old 12-11-2012, 18:02   #469
PattonT

I don't own a Kahr anymore but I seam to think they are 75% or more cocked.
Old 12-11-2012, 18:30   #470
G-19

I really don't see the issue with the firing pin partially "cocked". It can't hit the primer unless the trigger was pulled and the firing pin safety disengaged.
Old 12-11-2012, 18:45   #471
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-19 View Post
I really don't see the issue with the firing pin partially "cocked". It can't hit the primer unless the trigger was pulled and the firing pin safety disengaged.
If you had read the whole thread you would know that
the trigger was not pulled, weapon never removed from
the holster. Here's what happened according to the armorer.

Note that the FP safty block and cruciform/striker lug were
out of spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglaspel View Post
Anyways, SO took it to a SECOND Glock Armorer today, and thank goodness I did, I now have an answer,

#1- Firing pin block spring was bent, not straight like it should have been!!!

#2 The "sear" is not engaging the lug on the firing pin assembly properly!!

He says that since both of these issues are there, that It is highly likely that the pistol fired from the "half cocked" position.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 12-11-2012 at 18:48..
Old 12-11-2012, 19:02   #472
G-19

Quote:
If you had read the whole thread you would know that
the trigger was not pulled, weapon never removed from
the holster. Here's what happened according to the armorer.

Note that the FP safty block and cruciform/striker lug were
out of spec.
Oh, I read it. I also know that someone had to mess with the gun for that to be the case. It don't matter who (LGS, previous owner or current owner) messed with it. This does not mean Glock pistols or any other gun that uses that design are any less safe than any other types. It means if you don't know what you are doing leave it alone.
Old 12-11-2012, 19:12   #473
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-19 View Post
Oh, I read it. I also know that someone had to mess with the gun for that to be the case. It don't matter who (LGS, previous owner or current owner) messed with it. This does not mean Glock pistols or any other gun that uses that design are any less safe than any other types. It means if you don't know what you are doing leave it alone.
We aleady have a good idea that the LGS sold a used gun as new.
And I believe the original owner screwed up the gun so he
traded it in to the same LGS who never bothered to check
the gun over before putting it out for sale. All opinion and
supposition of course.

Glock will have the final word.

As far as Glock being safe, I carry one every day.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 12-11-2012 at 19:14..
Old 12-11-2012, 20:18   #474
WilliamDahl

Quote:
C0 would apply if the striker/FP were 100% retracted.
It's actually (depending on who you ask) 58% to 65%.

The initial trigger take up is the remaining "cocking"

Lets call it Cond 0.5
I was thinking more like Condition 0.25... Maybe 0.125...

If I have a M1911 and it is cocked, but the safety is not on, then it is Condition 0 since all that is necessary for it to fire is for me to pull the trigger. The M1911 in this configuration is the definition of Condition 0. So, let's look at other firearms... The Glock in its normal carrying configuration also only requires someone to pull the trigger to make it fire... That sure looks like Condition 0 to me... If I have a semi-auto that is DAO or even DA/SA and there is one in the chamber and no thumb safety on it (or activated), it also only requires the pull of the trigger to make it fire. Same with a revolver operated in double action mode. These are Condition 0 also, but I suspect that most of us will agree that they are more forgiving of mistakes than the M1911 carried in that condition. In my opinion, the Glock is somewhere between the M1911 and a double action revolver or semi-auto. I guess it's all a matter of how much of a trigger pull is required for it fire. The Glock is a compromise between the light trigger pull of the M1911 and the heavier trigger pull of a DAO when in C0. I suspect that most people would agree that a M1911 carried in C0 is not particularly safe, whereas they would have have a problem with the carrying of a DAO semi-auto or revolver in that configuration. The Glock has a trigger pull somewhere between the two, so the safety falls somewhere in between the two also.

Now, if you modified a M1911 to have a significantly heavier pull than a Glock, which is safer? I believe that the default trigger pull on some M1911s is 4 lbs and the Glock might be as high as 8 lbs. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm too far off the actual values. If you were to modify the M1911 to have a *20 lb* pull, would it be safer than the Glock? My Sig P229 supposedly has a 10 lb DAO pull and I have no problem carrying it without any sort of safety engaged. So, would a trigger pull that was double of the Sig's make it even more safe? Still, they're all C0, it's just the level of C0 that we are debating...

And here we though that we only had to worry about C0,1,2,3&4...

Maybe we can change it so that C0 has a trigger pull modifier (e.g. C0-4 would be a 4 lb trigger pull, C0-10, a 10-lb trigger pull, etc)... But then if you are carrying a DA/SA, you might need to put the double action and single action trigger pulls in the condition statement... So, let's say that we have a DA/SA Beretta with a 10 lb initial DA pull followed by a 5 lb SA pull... Maybe call it carrying it in C0-10-5? Starting to get a bit complicated... Time to poor another beer...
Old 12-11-2012, 20:23   #475
whitey4311

I wonder how the FPB spring was bent and the gun was still put together? Either way someone messed with the gun because there is no other explanation.

For the FPB It has to be functioning properly or the extractor wont stay in place either so someone got creative. Placing it down on a hard surface caused the cruciform to slip down and release the striker seems to be the catalyst so if that was damaged it makes sense. I still think the trigger had to be pressed or moved because as soon as a round was chambered the gun would have fired even prior to setting the gun down hard.

What I want to know is if the OP fired this gun before carrying it or inspected it at all. If not I would suggest some training and go back to the armorer and ask for instruction how to detail strip a glock. Given the issues with this gun I would guess it could have gone auto or at least something discovered that it was unsafe. Did you just buy it then CCW the gun the next day?

Ahh the world of the general public who own guns.....

Last edited by whitey4311; 12-11-2012 at 20:33..
Old 12-11-2012, 20:29   #476
WilliamDahl

Quote:
As far as Glock being safe, I carry one every day.
There really is no "safe" or "unsafe", but rather just degrees of safeness... In my opinion, the Glock is less safe since it is not as idiot-proof as other designs. The fact that you carry one every day and have not had an AD/ND, just means that you are not an idiot. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

The Glock in its normal carrying condition is not as safe as a M1911 carried in C1. It's probably safer than a M1911 carried in C0, but I suspect that is more of a function of the longer trigger pull required in combination with the heavier pull, not that little piece of plastic in the middle of the trigger that they *claim* is a "safety". I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the carrying configuration of the Glock, I'm just saying that we need to quit fooling ourselves and claiming that it is as safe as other firearms that are carried in C1. It's a compromise, like everything else in life.

Last edited by WilliamDahl; 12-11-2012 at 20:30..
Old 12-11-2012, 20:34   #477
tonyparson

Quote:
There really is no "safe" or "unsafe", but rather just degrees of safeness... In my opinion, the Glock is less safe since it is not as idiot-proof as other designs. The fact that you carry one every day and have not had an AD/ND, just means that you are not an idiot. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

The Glock in its normal carrying condition is not as safe as a M1911 carried in C1. It's probably safer than a M1911 carried in C0, but I suspect that is more of a function of the longer trigger pull required in combination with the heavier pull, not that little piece of plastic in the middle of the trigger that they *claim* is a "safety". I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the carrying configuration of the Glock, I'm just saying that we need to quit fooling ourselves and claiming that it is as safe as other firearms that are carried in C1. It's a compromise, like everything else in life.
no gun is idiot-proof.
Old 12-11-2012, 20:42   #478
Made in Austria

(Quote post# 475)

The firing pin safety block is not needed to hold the extractor in place, it just helps to install it. The extractor is held in place by other parts. Extractor plunger with its spring tension, the extractor slot in the slide, and the small bore/hole in the slide were the little "leg" of the extractor goes in to.

As I said on previous pages: the firing pin safety block needs the extractor to function properly, but the extractor doesn't need the firing pin safety block to function properly.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 12-11-2012 at 20:46..
Old 12-11-2012, 20:54   #479
.38 super
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
(Quote post# 475)

The firing pin safety block is not needed to hold the extractor in place, it just helps to install it. The extractor is held in place by other parts. Extractor plunger with its spring tension, the extractor slot in the slide, and the small bore/hole in the slide were the little "leg" of the extractor goes in to.

As I said on previous pages: the firing pin safety block needs the extractor to function properly, but the extractor doesn't need the firing pin safety block to function properly.
Very true, on the other hand - you can remove the extractor and the gun will function perfectly fine ( till you get light primer strike...)
Florida Glockers Club #1964
Калашников Клуб №1000
Old 12-11-2012, 21:24   #480
whitey4311

I couldnt believe it!

I just opened the safe to check my glocks and I caught one of them trying to load the other. It appears that they are so dangerous and cant be trusted. Even if left untouched they are at risk of loading themselves but I think it may take a glock friend to assist in pulling the trigger. I know I left the chambers empty but some how they figured out how to go condition 1.

Closed Thread