Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 15:37   #321
Unk

William Dahl has de-cocking a 1911 mostly correct. You need to place your offhand thumb under the hammer between it an the firing pin. If the hammer slips from your strong hand thumb it will impact your offhand thumb- absent that you'll have a ND [IF the grip safety is depressed].

Best.
Old 12-07-2012, 15:45   #322
Dave.1

I know here in Colorado the information is destroyed. The FFL retains the info.

I've seen a couple of instances where the police came to an FFL, one instance because of theft and the sale had taken place 10 years before. The other a violent crime. The FFL had to have the records, part of their responsibility.

Dave
Old 12-07-2012, 16:01   #323
WilliamDahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
William Dahl has de-cocking a 1911 mostly correct. You need to place your offhand thumb under the hammer between it an the firing pin. If the hammer slips from your strong hand thumb it will impact your offhand thumb- absent that you'll have a ND [IF the grip safety is depressed].
I don't tend to do it that way, but on M1911s that have the small rounded hammers, I tend to put my thumb far enough forward that there is some of the meat of my thumb pad between the hammer and the portion of the firearm that the hammer strikes and then it just kind of rolls through the meat of the thumb pad. At least that is the best description that I can come up with. It's something that I've just done automatically so many times over the years that it is second nature and don't really think about it.

If you really look at it, it's not that different than lowering the hammer on a revolver or even the toy cap revolvers that we had when we were kids... Well, at least some of old farts had...

Of course, you always have the gun pointing in a safe direction, just in case... No different than any other firearm in that respect... ADs can happen, but they're not a major problem unless you have the firearm pointed at something (or someone) that you would prefer not to shoot.

Caca pasa...
Old 12-07-2012, 16:22   #324
Hawaiiglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglaspel View Post
Just to quickly clarify I an NOT letting fin "check it out" already have my gunshop sending it to glock. Definitely not letting Fin touch that glock. Also if it does come back that fin sold me a used gun, with these issues then I am going to be coming after them for more than a "we are sorry, here's a free gun".

Good idea about having my armorer write a statement! I am going to ask him to do this!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Did the gun come with the test fire casings? If so what is the date on the envelope?
Old 12-07-2012, 17:01   #325
[Un]Deadeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiglock View Post
Did the gun come with the test fire casings? If so what is the date on the envelope?
That wouldn't tell much, would it? It could have been "sitting in the stock room"...
Old 12-07-2012, 17:23   #326
Delcorbett

So what was the end result, glock issue or holster issue?

Last edited by Delcorbett; 12-07-2012 at 17:23..
Old 12-07-2012, 18:30   #327
greeneggsandsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Un]Deadeye View Post
That wouldn't tell much, would it? It could have been "sitting in the stock room"...
The casing envelope has the gun's serial number and also, if the casing had a test fire date of say, September 2012, then it'd be safe to say that the gun is new and probably not "used" like the OP is thinking.
Old 12-07-2012, 19:25   #328
aldematt57

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
That holster is worn out & should have been replaced a
long time ago, owner error.

First, I'm no Glock newb.

That is part of the trigger bar and is NOT called a sear
by Glock or any Glock parts source.

I've seen many discriptions of how Glocks function and
they all say the trigger bar function "like" a sear.

When you order that part you ask for or search for a trigger bar.
Search for a sear at Glockparts.com, see what you get.

Call them & ask for a sear, see what they say.

I have the Glock armorers manual and no where
does it mention a sear.
You're right. The parts and nomenclature never refer to the part as a Sear. It is part of the trigger bar.
Old 12-07-2012, 19:41   #329
mad.gunsmith
Silver Membership
Life NRA member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Quote:
You, Sir, are already a hero in my eyes.
Old 12-07-2012, 19:56   #330
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglaspel View Post
I did not throw the $@%$ pistol down hard onto the table or anything....I literally set it down like I always do...
the way those things are supposed to be tested, it should not matter how hard you set it down. They're supposed to be able to withstand a fall from a hovering helicopter and still not fire.
Even if you do find something wrong with the holster, STILL consider an issue with the gun, and get it checked out by a smith.
Old 12-07-2012, 20:02   #331
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldematt57 View Post
You're right. The parts and nomenclature never refer to the part as a Sear. It is part of the trigger bar.
Which functions as a sear by releasing the F P lug. SJ 40
Old 12-07-2012, 20:03   #332
carloglock19

The holster was ruled out a few pages ago. I think the OP is waiting on the results from Glock!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
BRC - 2016
Old 12-07-2012, 20:15   #333
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
Which functions as a sear by releasing the F P lug. SJ 40
The cruciform section of the trigger bar.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
Old 12-07-2012, 20:28   #334
clarkz71

Double post
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 12-07-2012 at 20:31..
Old 12-07-2012, 21:01   #335
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Wow. Just read this thread. I carry and my setup:
- G23
- Blackhawk Serpa holster
- Minus connector w/ NY1 spring
- Polish job on trigger
- I carry C-1

I am new to carry and am going to start carrying C-3 until the OP finds out what happened here.
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution."
- John Adams
Old 12-07-2012, 21:26   #336
dkf

It makes me wonder how many of these "new" Glocks that are sold by gun shops are actually used guns.

For instance you hear about guys buying "new" Glocks with no copper grease. In my experience gun shops and most gun shop employees are pretty damn lazy. I never came across one that cleaned and/or reoiled a "new" gun before selling it to the customer. Especially taking the time to remove all the slathered copper grease.

Guys also will buy a gun fire a box or two of ammo (if that) and throw it in the safe. Then they decide to sell it. Some may screw with it, detail strip it and screw something up in the process. Then they decide to sell it, so they take it off to the gun shop to trade it off.

Well the gun shop sees this basically "brand new" gun and thinks "Looks brand new" "I can sell this as new for more money". So in the case it goes.

Quote:
I am new to carry and am going to start carrying C-3 until the OP finds out what happened here.
Might as well just keep the gun at home and carry a bigger knife then. You will be able to run faster and be able to cut a bigger sandwich in half.

Last edited by dkf; 12-07-2012 at 21:27..
Old 12-07-2012, 21:31   #337
frontier2011
Give Me Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
http://youtu.be/GDpxVG9XFJc

I think Sturm explains it well. As DannyR said; this is certainly not the first time this has happened.
I suppose you can screw around with any
holster and get an AD.
Old 12-07-2012, 23:28   #338
PhotoFeller

I don't recall reading or hearing about any gun firing just by laying it down, without pulling the trigger. The Remington model 700 fiasco was the closest I've heard about, and that involved ADs when the bolt was operated. Remington's public defense was that the trigger mechanism had likely been altered on rifles that malfunctioned, after they were sold.

When all the smoke clears on the OP's case, the answer has to be that (1) someone radically tampered with the gun, and that should be easy to determine by Glock, or (2) the OP somehow mishandled the gun. A holster issue isn't likely in this case based on it's condition as described here. By the way, this is nothing more than my humble opinion based on years of gun ownership.

Guys who have been Glock Talkers for a number of years would be aware if there have been other cases like this one, caused by a design flaw or a manufacturing issue, and the press would have been all over the incidents.

I'm thinking the gun seller let a pistol get out the door that had been damaged or intentionally altered.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 12-07-2012 at 23:49..
Old 12-07-2012, 23:47   #339
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
I am sure. I'm one of the geezers that was a gun nut way way back when the Glock first came out. Gaston intentionally designed the Glock to pre-load the striker enough to fire a round if released from the pre-loaded position. 30 years ago this was common knowledge.
Do you recall why the striker "pre-load" was originally designed to "fire a round if released"? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:30   #340
Jake Starr

This thread is a good example of a reason why some people opt for C3 carry.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt
Murphys law... that's why I don't ever carry one in the pipe...

I promise if you ever meet up with a bad guy and he has a gun, you can bet money he's carrying with one in the pipe.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.

Closed Thread