Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 16:11   #1
Big Dog Dad

Under Armour pricing?

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what the fascination is with Under Armour and how they can charge such high prices. I guess I'm to old to care if there is a big UA logo on my sweatshirt. I have bought some things at the UA outlet store, but they have been on the clearance rack and heavily discounted. Around here, there aren't any stores that discount that brand and I can basically get the same type of clothing from someone like Champion for a whole less. Can someone explain this UA fascination?

-=BDD=-
Old 12-06-2012, 16:25   #2
raven11

I don't understand it either I liked underarmor type shirts for the summer because it would get hot on the flightline so i tried to look at the price for a shirt $25-ish and just bought the el-cheap 3 pack Chinese knockoffs from the BX for $10 a pack
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 16:36   #3
jfost11

A fellow I work with has a part time job at an Under Armor store. He gets an employee discount cheap enough to sell me a $60+ sweatshirt for $25. His manager doesn't care, as long as he says it's for family per policy, because they still make a profit.
jfost11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 16:51   #4
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

No idea. I went to their website to order my nephew a present and decided I would rather spend money elsewhere. It's hot for middle schoolers that are playing sports right now, because of pros and collegiate sponsorships. Screw all that

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 16:53   #5
Drain You
NRA member

Underarmor is the brand name, kid, get with the coolness or society will pass you on by, ya heard?

They even have ads for the crap on Madden video games

The homo erotic Ray Lewis ads they first come out with was pretty much my decision to never pay the company any attention.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 16:59   #6
Walk Soft

I've always wanted to try UA but never would spend that much.For the last 12 years I've worked 11 hours per day,six days a week outdoors and have managed without em.
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:03   #7
mad220860

I can say that i have cold hunting gear from them and i paid a very high price for the pants as the jacket! But to me was well worth it!! It is the best camo i have ever owned!! They seem to be very well made. I totally agree though they are priced alittle to high but i hope to never have to buy another set.
mad220860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:37   #8
HarlDane

I don't own any UA apparel, but I own similar items from Nike, Reebok and Addidas that are priced about the same. I used to get cheaper options from the Champion C9 line at Target, but they start to look like crap after a few months. For gym cloths, that's fine, but I wear golf shirts to work in the summer and they need to look decent. I've found that buying the higher quality shirts save me money in the long run.
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:39   #9
CAcop

I bought one of them when it was seriously discounted. All the other shirts I wear at work are either Walmart or Target. They have lasted for years.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:58   #10
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

I'm addicted. Lol

$25 t shirt lasts longer than any cotton shirt I've owned.

$20 briefs - same thing

$50 Coldgear shirts - created by elves themselves. Nothing like them. Again - last a long time.

I do wish they made non-logo shirts. I don't wear them to be noticed.

And I started wearing them due to some sort of rash I was getting a few years ago. Probably just heat rash or abrasive cotton. I've never looked back.

Only downside - the whites get dingy after 2 years or so. :(
Old 12-06-2012, 17:59   #11
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

TJ Max and Marshall's sell last years shirts at half price, fwiw.
Old 12-06-2012, 18:04   #12
ede
Bama's Friend

i love their socks, underwear, and insulated underwear. I guess if you don't think UA is worth the price it isn't. To me it is for what I buy from UA, also like the skull caps because they aren't as thick and bulky and I can wear them with my hard hat.

Lot of people can't or won't justify the cost for a lot of things such as; Rolex watches, MontBlanc pens, Snap On Tools or Les Bear 1911s while other do.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 18:06   #13
kazecap0ne

freight conductor, always outside, I use the UA cold gear base layer stuff in the winter ...love it. My son uses the heat gear stuff for football...he doesn't really care what it looks like but always picks the UA because "it feels better"....i know, thats a real technical answer lol

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
"Sic Semper Tyrannis"
kazecap0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 18:09   #14
BuzznRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
I'm addicted. Lol

$25 t shirt lasts longer than any cotton shirt I've owned.

$20 briefs - same thing

$50 Coldgear shirts - created by elves themselves. Nothing like them. Again - last a long time.

And I started wearing them due to some sort of rash I was getting a few years ago. Probably just heat rash or abrasive cotton. I've never looked back.

Only downside - the whites get dingy after 2 years or so. :(
Me too. I started wearing it just prior to a deployment in 2006 and it is all I wear now for underwear, socks, and t-shirts. This stuff is pricy, but it lasts much longer than any Nike stuff I've had. I also wear the golf shirts and shirts, and it is the best stuff when it's hot and humid. Lightweight, comfortable, and durable! Latest stuff I bought was the performance cotton. Very comfortable, but I cannot attest to durability yet, it's only a year old and like new so far.

All my white tshirt are still very white, but I only was with whites.

I also love the thermals! I cannot speak to the shoes...

You pay more but the quality rocks!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 12-06-2012, 18:50   #15
Keoking

I recently discovered the heatguard underwear. OMG. I can sweat buckets in them and still be perfectly comfortable. They were something like $20-$25, and they were so worth it I bought 8. I would still bought them if they were $50. You can't put a price on uncompromising comfort.
Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 18:56   #16
Mrs. VR
Administrator

it's a local company, the guy started it out of his basement. It's kind of phenomenal how it took off. My podiatrist of all things is friends with the owner, and consults on the shoes.

our oldest son has really liked their stuff for years now. I personally don't like the feeling of the coolmax type stuff, it's a texture thing for me. but as others have said, you can often find it discounted, at outlets, etc.

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 19:00   #17
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

I wear the Boxer Jocks when running, pricy but outstanding!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 20:15   #18
glockdoc21

Since this is Glocktalk, I'll say that Underarmour is the Glock of athletic clothing and knockoffs are the High Points. If you're just sitting on your couch watching TV, you'll never notice the difference, but ever run in 20 degree weather? Ever work outside in 90 degree weather? Their coldgear is absolutely amazing. I can go for a 4 mile run in nothing but shorts and a long sleeve UA compression top and be comfortable. Their shirts wick moisture and are dry and loose in only a few minutes. I'd never buy a sweatshirt or a hat, but their true performance lines are amazing.
Old 12-06-2012, 20:20   #19
scwine
It was me!

I own a lot of UA clothing, I just wish I would have bought their stock when I first started buying their clothes as well.
scwine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 20:25   #20
sappy13

I love under armour. Its a little pricey, but if you wear under armour and then put on a cheap knock off, you will notice a difference very quickly. The only one iv found that is comparable is the Nike line. I never pay full price for it though, i just about always get it on sale at tj max or from the under armour outlet near us. I especially like the wifebeater style undershirts.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 20:37   #21
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

I wear a lot of it in the summer. The UA stuff you get at the outlet stores isn't the same product you buy retail. Lesser quality fabric.....like cheap tech tees you get in the goody bag at races.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 12-06-2012 at 20:38..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 20:53   #22
blkpag1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post

(
Their tactical line uses logos that match the color of the shirt (black logo on black shirt, etc).
blkpag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 20:58   #23
Inebriated

I wear a lot o Under Armour stuff.

It's expensive, and I hate the logo, but their hoodies fit well and feel great, their polo's are hard to beat when golfing (or really doing anything in summer), and they just look good.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 21:43   #24
Dreamliner787

I find that the UA Coldgear one of the best if not the best to replace the traditional long johns. Price at $50 per item but worth it and it very durable lasting through many winters now.
Dreamliner787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 21:58   #25
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

hmmm, I have some of their stuff and will have to disagree. The boxer briefs are pretty damn good, but the Jockeys that are similar are just as good if not better and half the price. Base layer stuff is pretty good, but I have found that the good Cabela's stuff is just as good (and less than half). I bought some of the Cabela's (coolmax or whatever) non logoed shirts and had them embroidered with company logo for less than a third of a UA polo, they work great.

I am not cheap on gear, I buy great boots and hunting stuff, but when you can get something as good for cheaper......the Sam's "Omniwool" socks are a great example, I prefer the Smartwools, but at $20 a pair........the Omni's are $20 for 3 pair.
I am thinking about a pair of their camo tennis shoes though.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote