Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:31   #1
JuneyBooney

Do Smart Phones Ever Shut Off?

I was loaned an HTC Evo 4g to try and see if I liked it..I am an ole school guy that does not text or use the net while out..I also travel to gov buildings that are secure and free of cellphones.

But here is a question. I turned the power off and then about a day later it started beeping that the battery was going dead? Don't these things shut off or do I have to remove the stupid battery? I loved the analog phones so they could not track me. I bet they have a spy cam on at all times watching us...tin foil hat on. Serious question about the shutting off though.Thanks
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:36   #2
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

Your old phones didn't necessarily shut off when you turned them off. That's been used to track more than one person.

But smartphones are different animals. If it was beeping at you, the phone was almost certainly on. Did you turn it off, or did you just hit the "sleep" button to turn off the screen? Perhaps the power button was depressed while it sat in a bag?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:36   #3
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

What exactly do you mean by "Shut off"?

some people think pressing the power button and the screen goes dark means it is shut off. that is actually just "sleep mode" But to actually shut off most smart phones you have to hold the power button down until the shut down dialogue comes up and press ok before it actually shuts down.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:00   #4
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmac View Post
Your old phones didn't necessarily shut off when you turned them off. That's been used to track more than one person.

But smartphones are different animals. If it was beeping at you, the phone was almost certainly on. Did you turn it off, or did you just hit the "sleep" button to turn off the screen? Perhaps the power button was depressed while it sat in a bag?
I turned it off with the button and then the screen asked if I wanted it off and it went off. Maybe you are right..it could have gotten hit when I placed it back in the box. They are fun to play with but I guess to be safe I need to remove the battery. I have never had that happen before even on a sat phone. I heard that strange peep and it freaked me out. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05   #5
ron59
Bustin Caps

yeah, they don't turn themselves "off". I'm not even sure it's technically Sleep Mode, my Android has a sleep mode but the wireless mode. The NORMAL "non off" mode is more where the screen goes dark and you have to press special button to wake it up then unlock it. I'll call this the Screen Lock mode just because I don't know the real name.

The reason for THAT mode is.... to prevent accidentally pressing the touch screen and launching app or something. If it never went into the Screen Lock mode... and you put it in your pocket you'd be launching apps or butt dialing somebody. When you havent' used it in a minute or so, it assumes you're done with it and enters that mode to prevent accidental usage AND to save the battery as powering the screen takes a lot of juice.

It might look "off", but it's just in that special mode to save battery and prevent accidentally launching stuff.

Some leave their phone on 24 hours. I turn mine off every night. I don't need a text/email or whatever then, and if there's an emergency... the people who need me have my land line number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”

Last edited by ron59; 12-06-2012 at 11:06..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08   #6
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "Shut off"?

some people think pressing the power button and the screen goes dark means it is shut off. that is actually just "sleep mode" But to actually shut off most smart phones you have to hold the power button down until the shut down dialogue comes up and press ok before it actually shuts down.
I have been checking a few phones out to replace my I880 on Sprint so this HTC Evo 4g 16GB seems pretty cool but it peeped at me after I had pressed the power button off..then the screen had a few options and I pressed off or I thought I did. The screen went blank and was fine for a day or two. This morning it peeped and then peeped again and I jumped up..because it was not with my other phones..then the screen said battery needed charging.

Now when I tell people to keep their phones off if they don't want to be tracked should I tell them to remove the battery in these things too? I was at a local communications center and they showed me how they could track within thirty feet of a cell phone but I am curious now if these things ever go off if the battery is inside?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11   #7
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
yeah, they don't turn themselves "off". I'm not even sure it's technically Sleep Mode, my Android has a sleep mode but the wireless mode. The NORMAL "non off" mode is more where the screen goes dark and you have to press special button to wake it up then unlock it. I'll call this the Screen Lock mode just because I don't know the real name.

The reason for THAT mode is.... to prevent accidentally pressing the touch screen and launching app or something. If it never went into the Screen Lock mode... and you put it in your pocket you'd be launching apps or butt dialing somebody. When you havent' used it in a minute or so, it assumes you're done with it and enters that mode to prevent accidental usage AND to save the battery as powering the screen takes a lot of juice.

It might look "off", but it's just in that special mode to save battery and prevent accidentally launching stuff.

Some leave their phone on 24 hours. I turn mine off every night. I don't need a text/email or whatever then, and if there's an emergency... the people who need me have my land line number.
I am wondering how to get it off? I thought it was off but it sounds similar to what you described.

Any of you guys know which Android phone has the best cell phone ear volume? I mostly use the phone as a phone and I am spoiled by the loud volume on the Motorola I880 but Iden is being phased out and moving over to leo frequencies so I have to change so I am trying these out.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:11   #8
John Rambo
Raven

If you want your phone truly turned off, pull out the battery.

No exceptions.
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13   #9
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
I have been checking a few phones out to replace my I880 on Sprint so this HTC Evo 4g 16GB seems pretty cool but it peeped at me after I had pressed the power button off..then the screen had a few options and I pressed off or I thought I did. The screen went blank and was fine for a day or two. This morning it peeped and then peeped again and I jumped up..because it was not with my other phones..then the screen said battery needed charging.
The Govt. unit tracking you sent that beep and alert to make sure you charged the battery before the phone went completely dead and they lost signal.

As long as the battery is in the phone it can be tracked.

Soon we are gonna put plastique in the phones so we can eliminate "Problem persons remotely.

Ring...ring....hello?.....BOOM!!!!!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:16   #10
1-2man
Part Time

Quote:
Soon we are gonna put plastique in the phones so we can eliminate "Problem persons remotely.

1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29   #11
JuneyBooney

Quote:
The Govt. unit tracking you sent that beep and alert to make sure you charged the battery before the phone went completely dead and they lost signal.

NOw that is a great idea.

Nothing would surprise me anymore. My mom used to say that she hated cable tv because the government would probably be "listening" at some point. I would now tend to agree. So I need to remove the battery to be safe. Thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32   #12
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
If you want your phone truly turned off, pull out the battery.

No exceptions.
I miss the old days of cell phones.

I was dating two women at the same time..it was exhausting. Then one saw the reflection on my code for voicemail on the window and then I had some Eddie Murphy moments like woman on hood of car...woman wanting to fight other woman in restaurant...so I learned...one at a time and watch those cell phones..now I have to really watch these smart phones. You guys have really enlightened me.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:38   #13
aplcr0331
SortaHeuristic

Even when it is shut off, it can still be used as a listening device with the right *ahem* hardware/software/knowledge.

aplcr0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41   #14
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Even when it is shut off, it can still be used as a listening device with the right *ahem* hardware/software/knowledge.

I worked with "listening" devices but I didn't know I had to worry about the phone not being turned off. I guess I will have to place it in the gun safe at night to be private. I can just see someone shooting their phone for spying.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20   #15
Naelbis

Quote:

It's been done already....doesn't take much to be lethal at contact range.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 12-06-2012, 12:38   #16
OdinIII

Send a message via ICQ to OdinIII
Are you guys sure that the phone is still on when actually turned off?...as in the processor can still run?

I have several old android and apple based devices laying around that will stay charged for a very long time while off.
OdinIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42   #17
OdinIII

Please ignore my question.

After a closer reading it seems only one person implied that you had to pull the battery. My first time through I thought the general consensus was that the phone was always on.

Back to your regularly scheduled programing.
Old 12-06-2012, 13:10   #18
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
Please ignore my question.

After a closer reading it seems only one person implied that you had to pull the battery. My first time through I thought the general consensus was that the phone was always on.

Back to your regularly scheduled programing.
That is what they were saying. I turned the thing off and it was not "off". My other phones stay charged for a year if fully charged and then turned "off". Your first read was correct.
Old 12-06-2012, 13:12   #19
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I miss the old days of cell phones.
As I mentioned... this is not some new feature of smartphones. Your old cell phone was just as (or more) likely to be able to do this.
Old 12-06-2012, 13:19   #20
OdinIII

I know that the several android and apple devices that I have laying around will definitely stay off for at least 2 or 3 weeks and still have most of the charge left.

I'll try to pay closer attention to this in the future.
Old 12-06-2012, 13:27   #21
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

I have three Android phones for work that stay off, often a couple months at a time. They've always had juice when I turn them back on, so clearly they are completely powered down.

I had one one that was off for 10 weeks. It still had a 40%-ish charge when I turned it back on.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 14:59   #22
unit 900

I upgraded to a Droid something or other at Verizon over Thanksgiving as I was way overdue and it was free (after rebate). Much to my surprise, the battery is not accessible to the user as the unit is sealed. A quick chat with the competent sales guy revealed that many/most new phones are made that way. my original thought was that after about 2-3 years of daily charging , the battery would die and you would have to upgrade. This thread has opened my eyes; no way to actually turn it off, can't remove battery even if i want to. Actually, it does seem to be totally off when you press the power button and it 'logs off'. I hope.
Old 12-08-2012, 15:22   #23
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
I was loaned an HTC Evo 4g to try and see if I liked it..I am an ole school guy that does not text or use the net while out..I also travel to gov buildings that are secure and free of cellphones.

But here is a question. I turned the power off and then about a day later it started beeping that the battery was going dead? Don't these things shut off or do I have to remove the stupid battery? I loved the analog phones so they could not track me. I bet they have a spy cam on at all times watching us...tin foil hat on. Serious question about the shutting off though.Thanks
To turn of this phone-
1. Press and hold the power button for 2 seconds
Note: If the screen is locked when you do this it will only turn off the screen, not the device. In that case you will need to unlock the screen first before pressing the power button.
2. Then on the phone options menu tap "power off"
3. On the power off confirmation box, tap "OK"
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 17:01   #24
czsmithGT

Quote:
Don't think so
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 17:18   #25
napp32

If you're really concerned about being tracked, drive to a truck stop and hide your phone in a big rig that is headed across country.