Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:08   #1
GO AZ

Glock Barrel Life Expectancy

Im wondering about the life expectancy of a glock barrel.
i have a g19 with several thousand rounds through it. further im looking into buying a 40 cal, g22 or g23, from a local pawn shop. they are police trade ins, and they have a bunch here in phoenix. im wondering how many rounds you can put through a 9mm and 40cal respectively, before needing a barrel change.
Thanks
GO AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:21   #2
JBS

Provided you don’t damage it with steel cleaning rods, steel bore brushes like ( The” Tornado Bore Brush”), or dragging dirt and grit through it with a nasty bore snake. 100K + before the average shooter will notice accuracy start to fall off.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23   #3
Made in Austria

It takes forever to wear out a barrel, probably far more than 100,000 rounds? I would just replace all the springs in the gun, and that's it.
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28   #4
GO AZ

thanks for the replies. i figured it was a lot. i know my g19 is fine, but was concerned with the police trade ins because i know they practice and fire a lot through their guns. i also figured the 40cal is tougher on the gun and could cause damage quicker. i suppose i should just look at the barrels closely and make sure their is still good rifling in it. thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41   #5
JBS

More than likely a good scrub with JB Bore paste will remove the jacket fouling in the bore and return the barrel to about factory new. Much more important than the rounds fired for a surplus EL trade in is the muzzle, ie. crown. 99.9 percent of barrel damage for LE pistols it crown damage from the crap we have in the front seat and the seat belt clasps and all the other junk we sit down on or gets under our holster in the car. Remember most LE holsters for patrol are open bottom.
Inspect the crown and if needed have a good Smith lap it or re-crown it.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49   #6
GO AZ

what would be the effect of having some crown damage? what would i be looking for? thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 13:08   #7
JBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO AZ View Post
what would be the effect of having some crown damage? A what would i be looking for? B thanks
A Groups shifted from point of aim and sights, groups open up, unexplained fliers. B Dinks, dents, gouges, scrapes, scars at the muzzle. You will recognize crown damage when you see it.
Old 11-30-2012, 13:08   #8
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO AZ View Post
thanks for the replies. i figured it was a lot. i know my g19 is fine, but was concerned with the police trade ins because i know they practice and fire a lot through their guns. i also figured the 40cal is tougher on the gun and could cause damage quicker. i suppose i should just look at the barrels closely and make sure their is still good rifling in it. thanks
Who have you been talking to? Because of the high cost of ammo, most agencies qualify AT MOST twice a year, many only once. Many officers fire a box or two for practice and then go qualify.

Most cop guns have heavy holster wear, but I'd venture to guess most have less than 5,000 rounds. I have 30,000+ through my G17 and another 10,000 through my G34 (stopped shooting the 17 when I got the 34).

Quote:
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 13:10   #9
tonyparson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
It takes forever to wear out a barrel, probably far more than 100,000 rounds? I would just replace all the springs in the gun, and that's it.
This 👆👆👆👆👆
Old 11-30-2012, 13:11   #10
GO AZ

thats good to know. thanks for all the responses
Old 11-30-2012, 13:59   #11
SJ 40

LE guns can be some of the best bargains on used guns. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 14:07   #12
dvrdwn72

leo glocks are some of the best bargains out there. I have gotten a few with great luck. I like to use shooters choice bore solvent. I have yet to find anything better for getting a nasty barrel clean. I have a leo 27 gen 2.5, its still my daily ccw and runs flawlessly. Most leo guns have a low round count and most just show a little holster wear.
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 15:21   #13
WT

Chuck Taylor claims to have fired 300,000 rounds thru his Glock 17. Original barrel.

See Combat Handguns, Feb. 2011.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 15:24   #14
JBnTX
JB in Tx

If you can afford to buy enough ammo to wear out a Glock pistol, then buying a replacement pistol will be the least of your worries.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 15:34   #15
Batesmotel

I have a Gen. 1 G17 that was owned by a police academy. It has far more than 100,000 rounds fired. It still shoots great. Very accurate.
Old 11-30-2012, 15:36   #16
fredj338

When you cross the 100K rd count, start worrying about the bbl. The bbl will be the last thing to wear out on mot handguns.
As noted, 99% of LEO do NOT shoot their guns but for quals, & at most that is once a month. Yes, hard to believe, but those "trained professional" do NOT practice much. Training w/o practice is almost useless when it ocmes to handgun skills. It is a diminishing thing, not like riding a bike.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 11-30-2012 at 15:38..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 15:58   #17
rajbcpa

....and replacement barrels are not too expensive if, by chance, you do wear one out...
rajbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 16:34   #18
ChiefWPD

Although I have no hard data, I am aware of a number of Glock handguns (9mm caliber) that have had +250,000 rounds through them. A few needed a small part replaced, but not the barrel.

I do not believe you could, by any reasonable standard, wear out a Glock barrel through shooting the piece.
Old 11-30-2012, 17:11   #19
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
If you can afford to buy enough ammo to wear out a Glock pistol, then buying a replacement pistol will be the least of your worries.

Agreed. I have said more than once I would gladly buy some Glocks and some H&Ks to ssee how much we can shoot them before barrels, frames, slides etc. need replacement if someone else would pay for the ammunition.

And if one does end up shooting a barrel enough for it to need replacement I am going to guess there is probably a one in three chance at least that Glock will replace the barrel at no cost.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 18:16   #20
Jim

A contrary story-

We had a L.E. guy (detective, I think) who started getting keyholing out of his G19 at something around 50k rds. He replaced the barrel and the problem disappeared.

He speculated that perhaps his barrel wore out early because he normally shot hot (+P or +P+) loads, and at a very rapid pace. Like he would blast 50-100 rds through the gun in just a couple of minutes, then load up and hit the street again.

OTOH, a more normal shooting pace usually does let the barrel live over 100k rds.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote