SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2013, 00:26   #1
Frankied65

Glock G19 performance upgrades

Hi
My wife shoots a G19 3rd gen and I'm looking to add a couple mods to bring up the performance level of it. I installed the PRP trigger kit on my XDs and XDm , is there a trigger kit and performance barrel I can install on her G19 , also what kind of sights would you recommend to replace the stock sights, not that she does bad with the stock ones. Just looking to pick up her interest in keeping her shooting. I put a #16 recoil spring in it last week as she has bad arthritis in her hands and it made it easier for her to rack the slide. Any ideas would be appreciated along with a good source for Glock 3rd party performance parts.
Thanks you
Frank
Frankied65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:07   #2
TxGlock9

Normally I would say performance is in the shooter.

http://www.glockworx.com/
Old 05-18-2013, 04:41   #3
ronin.45

The barrel is as good or better than anything you'll buy. Unless you want her to shoot lead, stay stock.

The trigger can be made much better with a "-" connector and some polish(by you or a gunsmith). No need to buy expensive kits.

Sights are very personal. I like Ameriglo Pro.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:12   #4
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankied65 View Post

(1) My wife shoots a G19 3rd gen and I'm looking to add a couple mods to bring up the performance level of it. ....... Is there a trigger kit and performance barrel I can install on her G19?

(2) What kind of sights would you recommend to replace the stock sights, not that she does bad with the stock ones.

(3) ....... I put a #16 recoil spring in it last week as she has bad arthritis in her hands and it made it easier for her to rack the slide.

(4) Any ideas would be appreciated along with a good source for Glock 3rd party performance parts. Thank you, Frank
OK! Here we go, Frank:

(1) The only other trigger you need is a smooth-faced trigger from a G-17. (The ribbed G-19 trigger bar simply comes out; and the smooth G-17 trigger bar goes in.) The smooth trigger face on the G-17 trigger bar should make it easier for your wife to use her new G-19.

You might want to read up on the, 'Glock 25 Cent Trigger Polishing Job'. YouTube can show you how!

You do not need a better barrel than the well-made standard barrel the G-19 comes with. (You can even shoot hard cast swaged lead bullets with this barrel IF you read up on the subject and learn how.)

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=617

(2) There's a long wait for these sights; but, they're well-made, very strong, and you can really see them clearly (especially when shooting at speed)!

http://www.tacticalshooting.com/about-pro-sights/

(3) If you use the above sights, you will be able to return the standard weight 18# recoil spring to the pistol. (Which should allow your wife to tolerate recoil better.) With these sights the slide can be racked by pointing the muzzle DOWNRANGE, and pressing the rear sight against the edge of a shooting bench (or somesuch object).

REMEMBER TO KEEP THAT TRIGGER FINGER STRAIGHT!

I'm ambidextrous; but I, also, have a permanently broken finger on my right hand. When I shoot left-handed I need to pinch the muzzle between the thumb and index finger of my right hand in order to quickly work the slide; so I am sympathetic to your wife's situation.

(4) If you've got to have a, 'better' custom-made trigger then you should look at:

http://www.vanekcustom.com/3.html

Nobody makes a better custom Glock trigger than Charlie.

For springs I always use Wolff Gunsprings. In fact, every spring in every one of my Glock pistols is a Wolff gunspring.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...ms&cID=1&mID=5

For general Glock parts I like to use either Glockparts.com, or Glockmeister.

http://glockparts.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=Main%20Page

http://www.glockmeister.com/

This should do it for ya!

PS: Ronin.45 is correct. Your wife would, probably, benefit from the use of a, '3.5#' connector. Ghost, Inc. makes several good ones.

http://www.ghostinc.zoovy.com/

Last edited by Arc Angel; 05-18-2013 at 06:18..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:27   #5
glockarmor

Where are you located Frank?
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36   #6
rick458
USS Texas BB-35

I did a lot of good by doing the $.25 trigger job.
I found that the best benefit came from polishing and VERY slightly radiusing the
firing pin/striker block (the round sprung piston in the slide) and the corresponding ramp on the trigger bar.
This did NOT make a lighter trigger pull, but made it a much SMOOTHER pull.
The sights will be what she and her eyes prefer, the stock sights work great for My wife and I but I would like some night sights that Duplicate the stock dimensions.
Don't just throw money at it. let the pistol and your wife tell you what (if any) mods it really needs.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:42   #7
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

In the hands of a trained shooter, it was maxed out when you got it, except for night sights. For gaming or tinkering, there are lots of products available, but they don't improve the gun for defensive use.
Quote:
Hi
My wife shoots a G19 3rd gen and I'm looking to add a couple mods to bring up the performance level of it. I installed the PRP trigger kit on my XDs and XDm , is there a trigger kit and performance barrel I can install on her G19 , also what kind of sights would you recommend to replace the stock sights, not that she does bad with the stock ones. Just looking to pick up her interest in keeping her shooting. I put a #16 recoil spring in it last week as she has bad arthritis in her hands and it made it easier for her to rack the slide. Any ideas would be appreciated along with a good source for Glock 3rd party performance parts.
Thanks you
Frank
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06   #8
19+15+1

I've owned 4 G19s, my first being a Gen 2 that I bought about 20 years ago. Over the years I've tried all sorts of upgrades, including aftermarket barrels, recoil rods, aftermarket triggers, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that the single best upgrade to my gun was lots of regular training. None of that other stuff made an appreciable improvement to reliability or shooting accuracy, and actually in some cases the reliability suffered, or it made the gun more finicky about ammo. These days I just polish the internals and put a good set of sights on (my two favorites are TruGlo TFO and XS big dots).

If your wife is having trouble shooting due to arthritis, then I would suggest a lighter grain bullet, and shooting fewer rounds during each range visit, along with more dry firing practice. It's been my experience that regular visits to the range will improve your shooting much faster than shooting lots of rounds at fewer range intervals. And don't underestimate the value of dry firing.
19+15+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 14:52   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19+15+1 View Post
....... If your wife is having trouble shooting due to arthritis, then I would suggest a lighter grain bullet, and shooting fewer rounds during each range visit, along with more dry firing practice.

It's been my experience that regular visits to the range will improve your shooting much faster than shooting lots of rounds at fewer range intervals. And don't underestimate the value of dry firing.
You got that one right!
Old 05-19-2013, 15:01   #10
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19+15+1 View Post
It's been my experience that regular visits to the range will improve your shooting much faster than shooting lots of rounds at fewer range intervals. And don't underestimate the value of dry firing.
I would agree with that experience.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 15:29   #11
CarlosC
AK Fanatic

Extended slide lock - makes it easier to remove the slide for dis-assembly because I find the factory lock is too flush. I use the 3mm GlockMeister lock, btw.
Extended slide release - easier to release the slide with the thumb. Factory Glock part.
3.5 lb connector - just feels softer.
Smooth trigger face - Factory Glock part. Feels better on the finger, but is more noticeable on the snappier G-23/32.
Polishing of internal parts - smoother pull and release
Hogue Hand-all - more sure grip, but works better on G-23/32
Old 05-19-2013, 16:11   #12
bill4282

Ca a G19 be converted to another caliber?
bill4282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 17:24   #13
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4282 View Post
Ca(n) a G19 be converted to another caliber?
Other than to 22 LR caliber, no, not really! (You need to change the entire: slide, barrel, and magazine.)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 05-19-2013 at 17:27..
Old 05-19-2013, 21:39   #14
punkglock
Freedom Lover

Quote:
Hi
Thanks you
Frank
To back what others have said based on what I did to my wife's G17...

Google "25 cent trigger job" -- nice and easy, but smooths out the stock trigger pull quite a bit. Also fun to do. Just use the metal polish please (mother's mag polish works fine if you can't find or don't want to order something like fritz), no dremeling.

If it's just a target vs carry gun, the Glock 3.5lb trigger connector is easy to install and increases accuracy.

On the pricier side, but if you really want to minimize muzzle flip you can grab one of the tungsten recoil assemblies from glockstore. While the 9mm doesn't have much flip to start with, I did this for my wife because she's a new shooter...and she loves it.

Ameriglo sights. Go to ameriglo.net and browse the glock section. There's really not a single right answer here, you should look at the options and choose what you think will work best for you. All my glocks have a "combat" setup with extra visible front sight (orange square + tritium) and black serrated rear sight with extra wide (.180") notch.

When we did our CCDW, the instructur (ex-military and active police) liked this sight setup so much he gave us two free t-shirts in exchange for a few rounds of ammo just to shoot our guns with these sights... he shot 10 rounds to the head in a few seconds, impressive training, though I like to think the sights helped.

If you're more into bullseye vs defensive shooting, a tighter rear notch and 3-dot setup might be better for you.

Good luck and have fun with the mods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
|

We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training. Archilochus, ca. 650 BC
punkglock is offline   Reply With Quote