Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2012, 17:10   #1
rppnj

Cleaning/Lubrication/Maintenance

How often do you guys recommend cleaning and lubricating guns that are stored in your safe and may not be used for a year or more? I always clean my guns immediately after I return home from the range but I'm just not sure how often to clean/lubricate the ones currently not in use.

'Integrity is who you are and what you do when no one is watching.'
-rppnj
rppnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 17:20   #2
dvrdwn72

I do it quarterly. Ill also use turtle wax on any metal ( barrel,upper,mags,etc.) It aids in the prevention of any possible rust issue. Ill also run a patch through the barrel to get a light coat of oil.
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 18:44   #3
unclebob

For guns that will not be used. I wipe the guns down with a light coat of RIG after cleaning. Making sure that I do not touch many metal parts with my bare hands. I have stored guns for 10+ years without any of them getting any rust. This is in Florida. I do not recommend using oil. Since oil runs. I have been using the RIG for over 30 years without one hint of rust. Just remember keep your hands off the metal.
GSSF Life Member
Old 11-30-2012, 21:31   #4
cciman

Where is your safe? Mine is in the basement in southern Ohio, but I have a dehumidifier set at 60% down there in the same area. I do not have any rituals for coatings, and do not oil other than the lube points. I take them out to dry fire every few months. My oldest guns are from the early 80"s. The only rust spots I have seen are inside or on mil surplus mags. I store my mags separately from the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppnj View Post
How often do you guys recommend cleaning and lubricating guns that are stored in your safe and may not be used for a year or more? I always clean my guns immediately after I return home from the range but I'm just not sure how often to clean/lubricate the ones currently not in use.

Last edited by cciman; 11-30-2012 at 21:32..
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 21:34   #5
cciman

No need to "clean" if they have not been fired, my personal opinion and practice.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42   #6
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
For guns that will not be used. I wipe the guns down with a light coat of RIG after cleaning. Making sure that I do not touch many metal parts with my bare hands. I have stored guns for 10+ years without any of them getting any rust. This is in Florida. I do not recommend using oil. Since oil runs. I have been using the RIG for over 30 years without one hint of rust. Just remember keep your hands off the metal.
+ 1 for Rig gun grease for long term protection. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10   #7
rppnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Thanks unclebob! So far, no rust or corrosion after >year. I'll order the RIG on-line now! Happy Holidays!

'Integrity is who you are and what you do when no one is watching.'
-rppnj
rppnj is offline   Reply With Quote