Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:53   #1
Chesafreak

Got a Windows 8 Phone? Get in here.

My boss gave me an HTC 8X Windows Phone yesterday. When our phones are eligible for upgrades I usually get to be the crash test dummy before we decide to support it for the whole firm. Last time around I got a free Android phone and after testing we decided not to support it. We currently only support iPhones and Blackberries, and are now testing WP8. When I say support, I'm referring to connecting users to MS Exchange. We use Good for iPhones, and Blackberry Enterprise Server for well, Blackberry's.

So far, I'm really liking it. I like the interface. I love having front and back facing cameras for Skype. I like the integrated Facebook app.

Dislikes: Citrix hasn't released a Receiver for it yet. The choice in apps is still pretty thin.

Your thoughts on WP8?

Last edited by Chesafreak; 11-17-2012 at 09:59..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 18:26   #2
Linux3

First, let me say that I am a dumb phone user so feel free to ignore what I say. But I am a Network Engineer.
Do we really need another phone OS platform?
WE, my employer, support Apple and Android. Period.
I hate the thought of another system. I'm over worked now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 19:31   #3
soulxfer

Its a good phone, very refreshing to use. The Exchange email and Office experience is best that is available. Looks like it finally will make a mark and earn its share in the market.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
soulxfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 21:43   #4
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
First, let me say that I am a dumb phone user so feel free to ignore what I say. But I am a Network Engineer.
Dude, didn't you know that another word for Windows is 'job security'? Wait a minute, that's two words.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Detectorist; 11-18-2012 at 21:44..
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33   #5
Chesafreak

Quote:
My IT department supports ONLY the Blackberry connection to BES, and the iPhone connection to Exchange throught Good. Nothing else. If they have any other issues we tell them to contact thier service provider. We don't support Androids (Except for mine, I was a test case) because they are too insecure.

I have used Androids, iPhone/iPad, and Blackberrys. I think that the WP8 is THE most intuitive of them all.
Old 11-19-2012, 15:49   #6
Chesafreak

I was transferring my mp3's over to my WP8 phone today. Plugging in the phone to the computer by USB and copying the audio files in Explorer didn't work. I had to download and install WindowsPhone.exe from Microsoft.com which plugs into the Windows Control panel to setup sync options. My audio and video files had to be synced with Windows Media Player. The phone doesn't have the ability to create playlists from the phone menu with the built in media player.
Old 11-19-2012, 15:53   #7
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
Dude, didn't you know that another word for Windows is 'job security'? Wait a minute, that's two words.
That job security only relates to availability of jobs that require that skill, but Windows Admins are still a dime a dozen. My supervisor was resistant to using Linux on our servers because he let a previous employee setup an email filter using Linux and when the guy left, nobody working here could fix it when it went down. That "Windows job security" works both ways. Easier to find a job, and also easier to replace you.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01   #8
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
That job security only relates to availability of jobs that require that skill, but Windows Admins are still a dime a dozen. My supervisor was resistant to using Linux on our servers because he let a previous employee setup an email filter using Linux and when the guy left, nobody working here could fix it when it went down. That "Windows job security" works both ways. Easier to find a job, and also easier to replace you.
What's the difference between a Linux admin and a Windows admin?

About $15k a year. Badump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08   #9
Chesafreak

I found two more things I don't like about WP8:

The built-in Facebook app is a little limited. It doesn't let you tag someone else in your post. I installed a third party FB app.

I connected to Exchange via Active Sync yesterday and noticed that all day calendar events don't show up on the lock screen, only calendar events for a specific time show.

I may be nitpicking, but overall, I still wouldn't trade it for an iPhone or Android.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37   #10
Chesafreak

Everyone in my IT department now has a Windows 8 phone from HTC. I was a former Android user, and the other 5 people were iPhone users. So far the consensus is that we all like the WP8 better than Android or iPhone.

The one weakness at the moment is less apps available in the market compared to Android and iOS. I'm not having any problem finding apps on the WP market for my needs, there just aren't as many to choose from.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 11-30-2012 at 10:39..
Old 11-30-2012, 14:34   #11
Detectorist

Quote:
What's the difference between a Linux admin and a Windows admin?

About $15k a year. Badump.
I would expect it to be more. On the other hand, it seems that Windows Admins have to put out more security fires so good ones should fetch a premium.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote