Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:21   #1
cfec2008

compm4 and spikes middy

Ordered a spikes middy last night. Uses the FN SAW barrel. Chrome inside barrel is about twice as thick as normal. Nickel boron bcg, magpul moe handguard, forged charging handle. from aimspurplus for 629 shipped.

Then went to ******tactical and ordered the aimpoint compm 4. comes with the kill flash, and the flip up covers, 500 bucks shipped.
cfec2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 14:43   #2
mjkeat

H1/T1 on your lightweight upper?
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 16:04   #3
.50 cal

Congrats, Thinking about taking advantage of the same upper, what lower is it going on?
Old 08-06-2011, 19:26   #4
cfec2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
H1/T1 on your lightweight upper?
It is a comp m4. Its on ******"s web site on the home page if you wana check it out.
Old 08-06-2011, 19:29   #5
cfec2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by .50 cal View Post
Congrats, Thinking about taking advantage of the same upper, what lower is it going on?

I bought a yankee hill machine stripped lower a lil while back, and put the lower parts kit in it, and put a fixed stock on it because I got it local kinda cheap. id love to have a vltor stock because the cheek weld feels great. But that will just be more money that I dont need to spend, and even if i had more to spend i guess i should really put it torwards ammo.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:02   #6
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfec2008 View Post
It is a comp m4. Its on ******"s web site on the home page if you wana check it out.
I know what it is. I was making a recommendation for a lightweight optic considering the lightweight nature of the upper you purchased.
Old 08-07-2011, 15:14   #7
cfec2008

Quote:
I know what it is. I was making a recommendation for a lightweight optic considering the lightweight nature of the upper you purchased.

I had allready ordered the compm4 before you posted that. I got the cm4 at a good price. Thats why I got it.

Last edited by cfec2008; 08-07-2011 at 15:14..
Old 08-07-2011, 16:34   #8
durian00

To the OP - congrats - $500 for a Comp M4 is a steal.
durian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 18:12   #9
mjkeat

Quote:
I had allready ordered the compm4 before you posted that. I got the cm4 at a good price. Thats why I got it.
Nothing wrong w/ the Aimpoint at all and the price is good.
Old 08-07-2011, 21:05   #10
BBJones

Quote:
Not trying to be a hair splitter, but ... The Spikes FN barreled upper isn't exactly light weight. Its not heavy but it is barely below the weight of a gov't profile. I have a Centurion that has the same profile as the Spikes. It is not even close to my LW DD.

OP- If the Spikes version of this barrel is as accurate as the Centurion and Noveske versions, you have a great upper. I hope some people start free floating these uppers and doing some serious accuracy testing. These uppers maybe the biggest bang for the buck in accuracy out of a chrome lined barrel. I have a DD lite and a 1-4 scope on my Centurion turning it into a quasi-reece build. I don't have the handloads perfected yet but it should be a 1MOA gun. I am thinking this is exactly what these Spikes might be good for too.

Damn can't believe I am saying nice things about Spikes.
Old 08-07-2011, 21:45   #11
cfec2008

rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJones View Post
Not trying to be a hair splitter, but ... The Spikes FN barreled upper isn't exactly light weight. Its not heavy but it is barely below the weight of a gov't profile. I have a Centurion that has the same profile as the Spikes. It is not even close to my LW DD.

OP- If the Spikes version of this barrel is as accurate as the Centurion and Noveske versions, you have a great upper. I hope some people start free floating these uppers and doing some serious accuracy testing. These uppers maybe the biggest bang for the buck in accuracy out of a chrome lined barrel. I have a DD lite and a 1-4 scope on my Centurion turning it into a quasi-reece build. I don't have the handloads perfected yet but it should be a 1MOA gun. I am thinking this is exactly what these Spikes might be good for too.
\

Damn can't believe I am saying nice things about Spikes.
lol. I dont understand...did spikes suck back in the day and screw some people or something? I think I saw a couple bad reviews on them a while back, but they were old and all the recent I saw were pretty good. ............Id love to throw on a LaRue rail and free float it, but im pretty much sucked dry of extra cash after the upper and aimpoint cost. and like you said I read that this barrel is supposed to be very accurate. When it comes in I will buy some quality ammo, and put it in my lead sled and see what happens at 100 yards.
Old 08-07-2011, 21:50   #12
mjkeat

From the marketing I would have figured they were just slightly heavier than a CHF LW

Last edited by mjkeat; 08-07-2011 at 22:26..
Old 08-08-2011, 10:41   #13
cfec2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by durian00 View Post
To the OP - congrats - $500 for a Comp M4 is a steal.
Great. They have charged my acct so maybe itl come in a hurry!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45   #14
BBJones

Quote:
From the marketing I would have figured they were just slightly heavier than a CHF LW

I guess they are tweeners in spikes line-up. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/5...us.html&page=2

I can't find a source for the weight of a DD LW middy that I am using, but from what I remember it was the lightest available in the pencil/LW profile. I may have made too big a deal out of the difference. The difference is noticeable but the Spikes profile is lighter than a gov't.

Point is should be a good barrel.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:02   #15
BBJones

Quote:
lol. I dont understand...did spikes suck back in the day and screw some people or something? I think I saw a couple bad reviews on them a while back, but they were old and all the recent I saw were pretty good. ............Id love to throw on a LaRue rail and free float it, but im pretty much sucked dry of extra cash after the upper and aimpoint cost. and like you said I read that this barrel is supposed to be very accurate. When it comes in I will buy some quality ammo, and put it in my lead sled and see what happens at 100 yards.

Spikes had some questionable practices and statements a while ago. Soured alot of potential customers. Also when an upstart starts to challenge known companies you will find fans of the known companies ... resistant. trying to be impartial in explaining that. google is your friend if you care to delve any deeper.

Accuracy testing is very hard to do without free floating. Barrels do best when their is no pressure exerted on them by stocks handgaurds etc. To get consistent POI with a non-FF you have to have consistent pressure on the barrel, which can be hard to do from shot to shot. Off a bench the difference could be small or large between FF and nonFF. Hard to tell until you compare the two. Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-08-2011, 19:20   #16
cfec2008

Quote:
Spikes had some questionable practices and statements a while ago. Soured alot of potential customers. Also when an upstart starts to challenge known companies you will find fans of the known companies ... resistant. trying to be impartial in explaining that. google is your friend if you care to delve any deeper.

Accuracy testing is very hard to do without free floating. Barrels do best when their is no pressure exerted on them by stocks handgaurds etc. To get consistent POI with a non-FF you have to have consistent pressure on the barrel, which can be hard to do from shot to shot. Off a bench the difference could be small or large between FF and nonFF. Hard to tell until you compare the two. Hope that makes sense.

Ok. I got what your saying, Reckon I could just take the handguards off and try it like that... Im trying to think how i could secure the gun to my lead sled without the barrel touching anything. What would be un acceptable moa at 100 yards with a lead slead with the handguards on by magpul. ? Surly it wouldnt be much more than an inch would it? btw with a burris 3.9.40. thanks for your help bud
Old 08-08-2011, 20:17   #17
mjkeat

Quote:
I guess they are tweeners in spikes line-up. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/5...us.html&page=2

I can't find a source for the weight of a DD LW middy that I am using, but from what I remember it was the lightest available in the pencil/LW profile. I may have made too big a deal out of the difference. The difference is noticeable but the Spikes profile is lighter than a gov't.

Point is should be a good barrel.
If I was in the market for a new upper there'd be one under my roof. It sounds like a great upper.
Old 08-08-2011, 21:07   #18
BBJones

Quote:
Ok. I got what your saying, Reckon I could just take the handguards off and try it like that... Im trying to think how i could secure the gun to my lead sled without the barrel touching anything. What would be un acceptable moa at 100 yards with a lead slead with the handguards on by magpul. ? Surly it wouldnt be much more than an inch would it? btw with a burris 3.9.40. thanks for your help bud
Hard to say, so I will talk completely out my ***** ... 1MOA out of an AR with a CL barrel is very very accurate. I would guess with handloads/match ammo you will get 1.5MOA non FF and 1MOA with FF maybe .75MOA. Keep the handgaurds on test it out and let us all know.
Old 08-09-2011, 15:18   #19
cfec2008

ok. Will do. It shipped, so hopefully it wont be to long!!!!!!!!! I dont know where aim surplus is, but if you know where they are how long will it take to ship to middle tennessee?? Im going to Gatlinburge in east tn this weekend and its gonna suck if I have to leave without her in my arms!!!!!!1
Old 08-09-2011, 16:12   #20
BBJones

they are in OH.