GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:00   #26
pmwglock19

If I am not mistaken, the original Henry rifle was tube fed, so the current Henry rifle has the same to keep it authentic looking. I have a Henry 22lr and it is a great shooting rifle.
pmwglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:11   #27
TxGun

All the big makers have moved to CNC machines. There are very few "craftsmen" around anymore. People are any business's primary investment/expense and they all try to keep that investment/expense to a minimum or they can't compete...here or especially, abroad. So there's not a whole lot left for the "old guys" to teach. Now you need skilled machine operators and you need machines that are maintained well plus some "assemblers"...and you'll generally get a decent product. Not a product that a skilled craftsman spent some time making sure it was debugged...but a product that functions (generally speaking) well enough to go out the door.

If you want real old-time craftsmanship, you'll have to go to a small semi-custom or custom shop. And, of course, you'll pay for that skill and the time they spend building your firearm.

Last edited by TxGun; 11-30-2012 at 12:17..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 19:49   #28
Hawaiiglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGun View Post
If you want real old-time craftsmanship, you'll have to go to a small semi-custom or custom shop. And, of course, you'll pay for that skill and the time they spend building your firearm.

That or shop the used gun rack at your LGS. I have an older Marlin and love it, I have not held a new one but my Remington 870 built in 2010 is a piece of crap. The bead sight is drilled so far to the right it's just about hanging off of the rib, the fit and finish suck. I have some choice words for Freedom Group that would make a sailor blush.
Hawaiiglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 20:35   #29
mr00jimbo

I really love the octagon Marlin Cowboy. I wish I could just trust buying one, but I can't.
You can't take people working on a product and then replace them. Why **** up a good thing? Why did they need to move to NY? Couldn't they just own a company that was in CT?
Old 11-30-2012, 20:37   #30
mr00jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiglock View Post
That or shop the used gun rack at your LGS. I have an older Marlin and love it, I have not held a new one but my Remington 870 built in 2010 is a piece of crap. The bead sight is drilled so far to the right it's just about hanging off of the rib, the fit and finish suck. I have some choice words for Freedom Group that would make a sailor blush.
Is it an Express? My Express wasn't the best, but it's in the name. They skipped out on the finishing and attention to detail to give a gun that can compete with the cheaper to assemble Mossberg 500, etc.