Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 22:20   #1
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 9,091
Ruger SR556

Who has one? How do you like it? What do you like/Hate about it?

Thanks!

(I haven't had a ton of range time with one yet but dare I say this gun is everything the HK MR556 should have been? )

__________________
When you finish speaking, don't forget to wipe.
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:30   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,788
As with any piston AR - heavy, proprietary parts, solution looking for a problem.

At least the Ruger is a little more affordable than many other piston-driven ARs.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:41   #3
DonD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Central TX
Posts: 4,231


Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Who has one? How do you like it? What do you like/Hate about it?

Thanks!

(I haven't had a ton of range time with one yet but dare I say this gun is everything the HK MR556 should have been? )

No experience here with one, just pleased to see a knowledgeable woman being active on this forum. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 00:37   #4
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 9,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
As with any piston AR - heavy, proprietary parts, solution looking for a problem.

At least the Ruger is a little more affordable than many other piston-driven ARs.

While the DI gas system isn't as problematic as many people think, there are still issues.

All that fouling and heat is better kept out of the receiver don't you think?

Sure, we don't absolutely need the piston guns but you surely can't argue that a piston gun doesn't run cleaner and cooler?

I don't see the piston system as a solution to a problem as much as I see it as a improvement to a existing design.

I agree on the price. It seems to be a well built rifle for the money and it comes with the features I want. At least Ruger seems like they built it right and didn't get overly proud of it in the pricing department.

As far as the weight issue, I don't see where it's a issue personally! The Ruger website states the SR556 Carbine model I'm interested in weighs in at 7.17 pounds.

My LE6920 comes in at 6.9 pounds. The LE6940 I had came in at 7 pounds. A .17 pound difference is insignificant in my opinion.

As far as proprietary parts, that is a small issue but as long as they are available, it's not a big deal. The SCAR and many other rifles are the same way. So as long as parts can be had, it's no big deal.

According to Rugers website, the only parts that can't be purchased by the consumer and would require the gun to be sent back to the factory are the barrel, lower receiver, quad rail (due to the piston system), gas block, and barrel extension.

Everything else is available and much is directly compatible with a standard AR-15. All the parts that are likely to wear out of break with use are available.
__________________
When you finish speaking, don't forget to wipe.

Last edited by NEOH212; 11-27-2012 at 00:40..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 00:38   #5
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 9,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
No experience here with one, just pleased to see a knowledgeable woman being active on this forum. Don
Well, thank you very much for the kind words!

__________________
When you finish speaking, don't forget to wipe.
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 00:46   #6
m2hmghb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Livin in the country of NJ
Posts: 12,319


Personally I wouldn't use a piston AR. The main point for me is accuracy. The reason DI was developed was to eliminate the weight of a piston moving in the weapon which could be bad for aimed fire. As for the AR blowing carbon into the receiver it's not really an issue if you put a drop or two of lube on it every so often. If you want it go for it, I looked over the piston systems and I just didnt see how they did anything better then the original DI. Either way enjoy your new rifle.
__________________
Here's a toast to our wives and to the women we loved. <pause> May they never meet.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 00:53   #7
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 9,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Personally I wouldn't use a piston AR. The main point for me is accuracy. The reason DI was developed was to eliminate the weight of a piston moving in the weapon which could be bad for aimed fire. As for the AR blowing carbon into the receiver it's not really an issue if you put a drop or two of lube on it every so often. If you want it go for it, I looked over the piston systems and I just didnt see how they did anything better then the original DI. Either way enjoy your new rifle.
Define, "Accurate."

A piston gun won't make center of mass shots at 400 meters?

I beg to differ.

I've hit center mass at 600m with a M1A. I know it's a different platform but it's piston driven.

I've hit center mass at 300m with a AK. It's a different platform but it's piston driven.

A review of the LWRC REPER .308 stated it was MOA accurate to 600m and it's a AR variant and it's piston driven.

It may not print nice neat clover leaf groups but there again, I'm not concerned with doing match shooting with a battle rifle.

Carbon may not be a issue in a DI gun but cleaner and cooler can't hurt anything.

In any case, thanks for the reply!

__________________
When you finish speaking, don't forget to wipe.

Last edited by NEOH212; 11-27-2012 at 00:53..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04   #8
m2hmghb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Livin in the country of NJ
Posts: 12,319


Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Define, "Accurate."

A piston gun won't make center of mass shots at 400 meters?

I beg to differ.

I've hit center mass at 600m with a M1A. I know it's a different platform but it's piston driven.

I've hit center mass at 300m with a AK. It's a different platform but it's piston driven.

A review of the LWRC REPER .308 stated it was MOA accurate to 600m and it's a AR variant and it's piston driven.

It may not print nice neat clover leaf groups but there again, I'm not concerned with doing match shooting with a battle rifle.

Carbon may not be a issue in a DI gun but cleaner and cooler can't hurt anything.

In any case, thanks for the reply!

To be specific a DI can obtain a better accuracy cheaper then a piston, but it might be as little as .25 moa or less. Or it can be .5 moa, it depends on a lot of factors. It's not that big of a deal, but it is a point. That's one of the reasons the M110 and SR25 are DI.

The M1A is something entirely different as is the AK, that's like comparing apples to watermelons. I was mentioning between an AR with a piston kit compared to a DI. BTW the AK and the AR series are not battle rifles.
__________________
Here's a toast to our wives and to the women we loved. <pause> May they never meet.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:04   #9
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 9,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
To be specific a DI can obtain a better accuracy cheaper then a piston, but it might be as little as .25 moa or less. Or it can be .5 moa, it depends on a lot of factors. It's not that big of a deal, but it is a point. That's one of the reasons the M110 and SR25 are DI.

The M1A is something entirely different as is the AK, that's like comparing apples to watermelons. I was mentioning between an AR with a piston kit compared to a DI.
There's not any question in my mind as to why a DI gun can be more accurate as mechanically speaking, it has to be.

But to say one shouldn't use a piston driven gun because they aren't accurate enough for reliable shot placement in the kill zone is just foolish.

My point in comparing other piston driven platforms to the piston driven AR is to point out the fact that piston driven guns aren't inaccurate and can in fact be quite accurate.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges to some extent but it is relevant to the discussion.

Now to be fair, if we are speaking of a precision rifle, then that .5 or .25 moa makes all kinds of difference but in a battle rifle, being concerned about those kind of numbers is just splitting hairs. No pun intended. Besides, would the average grunt really notice .5 moa in the heat of battle?

Probably not. On the firing range, maybe but probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
BTW the AK and the AR series are not battle rifles.
Well, they certainly are used in battle, or at least were at one time. In my book that qualifies them as battle rifles. At least something close enough to it. If it's a rifle, and it's used in a battle, it's a battle rifle unless you want to argue about semantics and the vernacular.
__________________
When you finish speaking, don't forget to wipe.
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:20   #10
Foxtrotx1
Senior Member
 
Foxtrotx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 4,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
While the DI gas system isn't as problematic as many people think, there are still issues.

All that fouling and heat is better kept out of the receiver don't you think?

Sure, we don't absolutely need the piston guns but you surely can't argue that a piston gun doesn't run cleaner and cooler?

I don't see the piston system as a solution to a problem as much as I see it as a improvement to a existing design.

I agree on the price. It seems to be a well built rifle for the money and it comes with the features I want. At least Ruger seems like they built it right and didn't get overly proud of it in the pricing department.

As far as the weight issue, I don't see where it's a issue personally! The Ruger website states the SR556 Carbine model I'm interested in weighs in at 7.17 pounds.

My LE6920 comes in at 6.9 pounds. The LE6940 I had came in at 7 pounds. A .17 pound difference is insignificant in my opinion.

As far as proprietary parts, that is a small issue but as long as they are available, it's not a big deal. The SCAR and many other rifles are the same way. So as long as parts can be had, it's no big deal.

According to Rugers website, the only parts that can't be purchased by the consumer and would require the gun to be sent back to the factory are the barrel, lower receiver, quad rail (due to the piston system), gas block, and barrel extension.

Everything else is available and much is directly compatible with a standard AR-15. All the parts that are likely to wear out of break with use are available.
The piston, bolt, carrier and op rod are proprietary.
__________________
Tin Foil Free Zone.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26   #11
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 9,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
The piston, bolt, carrier and op rod are proprietary.
Yes but they are available though Ruger.

I believe most (as in not all) other AR piston systems are that way also.
__________________
When you finish speaking, don't forget to wipe.
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36   #12
Foxtrotx1
Senior Member
 
Foxtrotx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 4,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Yes but they are available though Ruger.

I believe most (as in not all) other AR piston systems are that way also.
There is a 5,000 round and 10,000 round photo analysis by a guy on m4carbine.net

He and others go through the photos to look for faults. Pretty positive review.

I recommend looking at it.

Make sure you don't pick up an early model, before the carrier was beveled at the back. Nasty damage to the lower would result.
__________________
Tin Foil Free Zone.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 21:52   #13
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,593
I would not buy a piston AR mostly because the non standardized parts. Also, they are less accurate. If you keep a quality DI AR lubed up and remotely clean it will be 100 percent reliable.

I am a big Ruger fan, but my opinion is the SR556 is a over priced/over hyped contraption.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 22:09   #14
WayaX
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
WayaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,276
I'm not sold that on the accuracy issue. Off the rack AR-15's are not always tack drivers. Mechanically, yes, the DI is more accurate, but by how much.... I think there are other factors that will influence accuracy more. Not to mention, It's accurate enough for its purpose. However, I still don't see a need for a piston AR-15. It complicates a system that works well, and was never designed for a piston (carrier tilt and excess loading of the bolt lugs due to off-axis force on a non-railed system).

I like piston guns, but I think that a piston on an AR-15 causes more issues than it solves. Having fiddled with various piston systems, I would take the SCAR over any piston system currently available (AR-15 or otherwise). But even it has it's share off issues. In the end, in 5.56 NATO, a plain DI AR-15 is still very hard to beat.
__________________
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I

Last edited by WayaX; 11-27-2012 at 22:09..
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 22:13   #15
mjkeat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,450
The piston system is just as dirty as the DI. They just collect it in different areas. After putting thousands of rounds through a DI AR w/o cleaning or maintenence w/o issue I'd be more worried about broken proprietary parts replacement and balance than a dirty weapon.

It's a solution to a problem that never existed.

If you must have a piston gun, I had a LWRC that ran extremely well.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 22:15   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
I would not buy a piston AR mostly because the non standardized parts. Also, they are less accurate. If you keep a quality DI AR lubed up and remotely clean it will be 100 percent reliable.

I am a big Ruger fan, but my opinion is the SR556 is a over priced/over hyped contraption.
IMO, you don't even need to keep them clean at all, just lubed.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 22:18   #17
mjkeat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
IMO, you don't even need to keep them clean at all, just lubed.
This is true. Just use a lube that isn't particular about outside temp. I had a lube screw me at a class. It was cold and the lube hardened up.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49   #18
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 56,607


Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Personally I wouldn't use a piston AR. The main point for me is accuracy. The reason DI was developed was to eliminate the weight of a piston moving in the weapon which could be bad for aimed fire. As for the AR blowing carbon into the receiver it's not really an issue if you put a drop or two of lube on it every so often. If you want it go for it, I looked over the piston systems and I just didnt see how they did anything better then the original DI. Either way enjoy your new rifle.
I personally wouldn't buy a piston driven AR because that's just silly. The gun was designed to be direct gas operated and now somehow it's redesigned to take a piston it wasn't meant to take at all. It's like getting an M1911A1 with a redesigned Peter Stahl linkless mechanism. What's the point?

There are plenty of good guns with gas piston action running around.

However, the reason direct gas action came about wasn't about increasing accuracy, it was about simplicity and a bit of weight saving.

As far as how good DI mechanism is...well...you young GIs just name me some of the guns that have DI mechanisms. Not AR clones but independent designs that use DI gas action. Top off my head I can recall but two that even had any sort of prominence at all: Swedish Ljungman/Egyptian Hakim and the M16 family.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53   #19
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 10,621
OP, there is a piston version of the 6940, called the 6940P I believe.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09   #20
drraoulduke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11
No easy day

Hey guys, I really recommend reading the new book No Easy Day. I'm not a fan of the "but these elite operators use the gun" argument but I'm using it here only to prove the point that the piston driven AR is not a bad idea. The HK416 is the gun that shot Osama on top of being the preferred carbine/rifle of DEVGRU teams. The book contains pictures of the two HK416s the author used for operations.
drraoulduke is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:23.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,439
343 Members
1,096 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31