SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-05-2012, 17:33   #1
Meeteetse
God's Country

Carry right out of the Box

Have any of you ever put a gun, any gun in use without first taking it to the range for some sort of a break in?

The reason I ask is because I have, at least as one of my home defense guns. I have also qualified at the LE department I worked at and for a CCW with a brand new out of the box Glock.

I don't make this a habit, but the circumstances dictated and the Glocks never let me down. Was I lucky? Perhaps, but I think Glocks are as reliable as they claim. Does anyone else have a similar experience??
NRA Life, NRA Instructor (Civilian and LE)
Meeteetse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 17:45   #2
lyodbraun

Yup did it with my old G22 I had bought and used during the academy, shot well over 1000 rounds thru it to qualify and never once cleaned it untill the end of the academy.. worked like a charm and never had one problem with the gun... the only problem I ran into was a primer that was in backwards...

Last edited by lyodbraun; 11-05-2012 at 17:46..
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 17:52   #3
Bruce M

Sometime in the 90's I got a P226 that was new that I lubricated and carried for a few weeks before I got to shoot it. I guess I got lucky. I would be more reluctatnt to do that now. Of course I have a few more guns now than I did then, so
in theory there would be no good reason to consider doing that now.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 17:53   #4
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeteetse View Post
Have any of you ever put a gun, any gun in use without first taking it to the range for some sort of a break in?
Not so much break in, but as a function check.
The answer for me is no.
Not even with a revolver.

I have to fire some rounds out of any firearm before I'll trust my life with it. And that includes after gunsmith work
and/or various modifications that could affect reliability.

Extreme? Yup.
But I'm worth it.

Last edited by barth; 11-05-2012 at 17:58..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 18:00   #5
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

I did with my 27. I have a few Glocks and carried my 27 for 3 days before I got to the range and it functioned as normal.
stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 18:03   #6
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeteetse View Post

The reason I ask is because I have, at least as one of my home defense guns. I have also qualified at the LE department I worked at and for a CCW with a brand new out of the box Glock.

I don't make this a habit, but the circumstances dictated and the Glocks never let me down. Was I lucky? Perhaps, but I think Glocks are as reliable as they claim. Does anyone else have a similar experience??
Not me. It makes sense to try out a gun before carrying it. The only gun that I would even think about carrying straight out of the box is a Glock Model 17 or 19.
Old 11-05-2012, 18:21   #7
NCHeel

I have carried a brand new G26 without firing it. Had plenty of other choices but I did a manual function check and saw no problems so I was not worried.

Glock and S&W M&P Certified Armorer
NRA certified RSO
NRA Instructor for pistol, rifle, shotgun & PPIH and PPOH
NCHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 23:24   #8
cowboy1964

I wouldn't do it unless I had no choice. It's just not smart. Though I would definitely feel more comfortable doing that with some brands vs others.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-05-2012 at 23:26..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25   #9
cciman

Not sure what the purpose of this question is. Can you, or should you? You certainly can.

You shouldn't.

Having some experience at the range gives you valuable info as to how the gun functions, and feedback on how to shoot the gun (trigger feel, recoil behavior, hand placement not to interfere with the slidestop, shell ejection etc), as well as developing familiarity so you actually shoot at what you intend to (not good hit unintended targets).
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:38   #10
Police305

ask yourself..."would I trust a pistol that I've never fired with my life?"...in other words, its better to be safe than sorry. Glocks are very dependable, but NOTHING in this life is fail-proof.
Police305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:36   #11
X-Centric

I wouldn't worry about test firing it if I absolutely knew I would never use it. So therefore if I wasn't going to keep it as a show piece, I'd fire it. Come to think of it, I don't think i would buy an umbrella with opening it.

If you don't believe in God believe in Karma!

You can call me Al.
X-Centric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55   #12
MajorD

actually a few times in the military it has happened to me. you have an issue with your rifle or pistol and turn it in and they give you a replacement until yours is fixed, or you go on a short tour/short recon to a war zone and they give you a rifle/carbine/pistol for the trip. certainly would much prefer to function fire the weapon prior to depending on it, but sometimes it is just not possible.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:57   #13
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

I have on several occasions. Not only with glock but other brands as well..
Old 11-06-2012, 12:58   #14
ctfireman

I've done it before.

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 13:54   #15
John Biltz

Yeah, happens all the time. A lot of times you get issued a pistol for some kind of duty that requires an armed guard, ammo draw is probably most common. That MP that made a 60 yard shot to stop an active shooter a few years ago. Was carrying a replacement pistol that he had never fired before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
actually a few times in the military it has happened to me. you have an issue with your rifle or pistol and turn it in and they give you a replacement until yours is fixed, or you go on a short tour/short recon to a war zone and they give you a rifle/carbine/pistol for the trip. certainly would much prefer to function fire the weapon prior to depending on it, but sometimes it is just not possible.
Old 11-06-2012, 14:38   #16
tuica

This tells it!

Pretty much my thoughts. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
.I wouldn't do it unless I had no choice. It's just not smart. Though I would definitely feel more comfortable doing that with some brands vs others.
Old 11-06-2012, 15:17   #17
dango

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
Not so much break in, but as a function check.
The answer for me is no.
Not even with a revolver.

I have to fire some rounds out of any firearm before I'll trust my life with it. And that includes after gunsmith work
and/or various modifications that could affect reliability.

Extreme? Yup.
But I'm worth it.
Yup , you are worth it !
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 16:38   #18
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Glocks are one of the few firearms I think I would feel comfortable doing this with. I could do some basic checks, load a mag and be sure the first round fed and .......

I know I wouldn't do this with an AR-15. I have had a couple which required a little break in before they were reliable and some didn't like certain ammo during the break in time.
Old 11-06-2012, 16:44   #19
poodleplumber

I have never carried a pistol or placed it in my home for defensive use without a function check at the range. I have never put a magazine in service without proving it. I am glad it has worked out for some of the other guys, and I haven't had one that failed, but a mechanical device as important as a defensive firearm has to earn my trust.

FWIW, I am not one of those who buys a new car right before a long trip, either. Mechanical device, trust, all that stuff.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 16:48   #20
Yertology

Never! Would you wipe BEFORE you poop?
Yertology is offline   Reply With Quote