Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:31   #1
sgt rock

GAP ammo reviews ??

Im thinking about getting a G37 and i was trying to find any reviews on the Sellier and Bellot GAP 230gr ammo and havent found any so i figure i would ask for reviews of current offerings by all manufactuers .

Thanks
sgt rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 16:57   #2
Beanie-Bean

I load my own, but break in new GAPs with Speer Lawman. Carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 200 gr.

Haven't shot any 230 gr. ammo through any of the GAPs yet, so I can't offer up any feedback on that.

Check sgammo.com for decent pricing.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:52   #3
David_Ely
GAP'r

S&B Ammo works well out of my G38. S&B does use large pistol primers so be careful if you save your brass as all other manufacturers of 45 GAP use small pistol primers.
Bull Dawgs #1966
David_Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:56   #4
David_Ely
GAP'r

I carry Federal HST 230gr in my Gen4 G37 and Winchester Ranger Bonded 230gr in my G38 but both are the most accurate with Georgia-Arms 185gr FMJs. I have also fired Remington UMC 230gr FMJ and Federal American Eagle 185gr FMJ but none are as accurate as GA ammo.

(The reason for the different brands in different guns is due to what each pistol was thoroughly tested with and what I had on hand at the time of testing)
Bull Dawgs #1966
Old 12-06-2012, 17:47   #5
Sheepdog689
NRA Life Member

I carry Gold Dot LE in my duty .40 cal (dept issued) and the only thing I'll carry off duty in my 38 is 200 grain Gold Dot.

I reload my own for practice but I have bought some Speer Lawman when I first got the GAP.
Sheepdog689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:49   #6
TheExplorer

The Federal HST 230 is probably the most common. It's price point is barely above the AE FMJ and much cheaper than any other HP.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:58   #7
sgt rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Ely View Post
S&B Ammo works well out of my G38. S&B does use large pistol primers so be careful if you save your brass as all other manufacturers of 45 GAP use small pistol primers.
Wow that seems odd, why would they be different from the others ? Below is a quote i got from an article called "Inside the 45 GAP."

"The most obvious difference is that the .45 GAP uses a Small Pistol primer to put distance between the primer and breech/action elements present in 9mm-frame pistols. It is unsafe to cut off .45 Auto cases to make .45 GAP cases. The most significant issue is the difference in primer size. A Large Pistol primer that fits the .45 Auto case will over-ignite safe powder charges developed in proper GAP cases with small primers, and high pressure will result."

Is this true ?

Last edited by sgt rock; 12-08-2012 at 11:06..
sgt rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 13:56   #8
David_Ely
GAP'r

Other than the different primer size, 45 GAP brass has a much thicker base on the interior. Even though the external dimensions are the same between ACP and GAP, the interiors are quite different.
I have no idea why S&B uses large pistol primers but it always worries me that they are using cut down 45 ACP brass and marking it 45 GAP.
Bull Dawgs #1966
Old 12-10-2012, 07:22   #9
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Ely View Post
Other than the different primer size, 45 GAP brass has a much thicker base on the interior. Even though the external dimensions are the same between ACP and GAP, the interiors are quite different.
I have no idea why S&B uses large pistol primers but it always worries me that they are using cut down 45 ACP brass and marking it 45 GAP.
Hold a quality 45 GAP casing (Speer) next to 45 ACP bottoms up. The bevel is different. If the Bevel at the base of the S&B is the same as a 45 ACP, suspect foul play.

I shoot the ba jeezus out of S&B 45 ACP but have not even seen their GAP ammo for sale.