SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2012, 13:24   #101
diamondd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus1079 View Post
I ask because I had my G30 halfway out of my IWB holster trying to break up a 4-on-1 beat down. I started to draw because one of the "beaters" took out a knife. They saw what I was doing and all took off. I can't stand "tough guys" who can't fight their own battles and have to rely on three other people to attack someone. Thoughts anyone?
Playing cop is a risky game on your part. What if the attackers were actually the victim this guy just mugged? What if you shot an innocent person?
diamondd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 13:44   #102
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
I run into the same when we're on the family land in Missouri. It's about 120 acres in a very rural area, the land is fenced (cattle wire), road is gated, etc. and STILL we would find deer blinds, "party spots" improvised shooting ranges and such out there all the time.

I've never actually caught anyone "in the act", but I've recovered several good deer stands, an automated deer feeder and even some parts of what looked like a whiskey still once!

Fortunately, things have gotten better out there since a neighbor up the road (an utterly insane but honest redneck), asked us if his three sons could hunt the property a few years back. We obliged and since then his "boys" have pretty much acted as enforcers and have kept the riff-raff and poachers at bay when we're not around.
Dude, you took my best deer blind!

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 13:49   #103
blackbirdzach

Yeah, a couple of years ago I was hiking at a state park and a pitbull came running out of the woods and attacked us. I shot it and it went down and as I was dialing 911 it got back up and came back for another round. The second shot I fired hit it in the top of the head and killed it. I had to give a statement to two deputies, a DNR officer, Animal Control and a Park Manager. It was a tough day for me since I like dogs.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 13:53   #104
blackbirdzach

I drew my pistol once on the way back from Atlanta, but didn't have to fire it. I was driving through a shady part of west Atlanta on the way to the interstate after treating my mom to dinner. It was about 9:30 and dark. At a red light a thug/gangsta got out of his truck and started walking toward us with one hand holding his pants up and the other behind his back. I took my gun out and layed it on the dash with my hand on it so he could see it and he turned back toward his truck and fished around in the bed like he was looking for something. When the light turned green I sat there until he got back in his truck and drove off. I didn't want him behind me.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 14:02   #105
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
You're a better man than I am, I won't give them warning shots.
I got the desired results without the dire consequences.
Old 11-30-2012, 14:03   #106
token5gtd

Was getting gas late one night, there were a few more cars at the station. As usual for our town, there is always at least one crackhead wandering between the gas stations... begging, trying to sell whatever they stole that day... etc. I've always been good about keeping my head on a swivel and knowing where people were... but the guy that approached me was literally so skinny and black, view of him was obstructed by the pump until he was just on the other side of it, nearly within arms reach of me.

I had my back turned to him at the time, just about to take the nozzle out of my car when he says something and holds his hand out towards me. I later realized he was trying to show me something, probably in an attempt to sell me something... but point is, you don't sneak up on someone pumping gas at 1:00 am, and wait until you're at arms reach to announce yourself.

I didn't draw immediately, but he startled me pretty well. In one motion I spun around, took a step back, and had my hand on my gun before I myself even realized what happened. Needless to say that was all it took for him to change his mind and get the hell out of dodge.
token5gtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 14:43   #107
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
I got the desired results without the dire consequences.
Have to agree here. It's a matter of situational decision making. Second guessing it afterwards is rather ludicrous as those second guessing weren't there!
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 15:01   #108
mhambi
Hegemon

I was inspired by this thread to draw my weapon.

It was in anger... because I suck at drawing.

The Okie Corral
Old 11-30-2012, 15:16   #109
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhambi View Post

The Okie Corral
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 15:25   #110
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Only once ever, least year. It was around 10:15PM on a Wednesday and my fiance was at some sort of function at her college. Being that I was carrying (IWB- but still), I didnt go into the school library with her. Instead I waited in the starbucks across the street. Anyway, when she texted me saying she was done I went and picked her up outside. We started walking back, and I lit a cigarette (I smoked at the time). 50 yards away from the library someone starts screaming "Stop! I told you to stop!" and a man emerges from behind some industrial equiptment and a dumpster next to the starbucks I was just at. We keep walking and he starts out at a run yelling for us to stop. He was definitely homeless. Around 6 foot, heavyset with the front of his shirt completely unbuttoned. I told him to step back or we'll call the police. He starts with some gibberish I cant understand save the "Put out my cigarette" and I again tell him to go away. We start walking again and he keeps coming at us again to the point where I cant turn my back to him any longer. I again yelled at him and told him to leave and my fiance called the police. When she got on her phone he moved quickly towards my fiance and says "pocket tax" and reaches behind his waste (Where we would consider small fo the back carry). It was then that I drew my G19 in I swear the most fluid draw I've ever done. I point the weapon at the man and yell for him to stay back. He then stops in his tracks and puts his hand on his hip in a weird fashion and says, "What, shoot me. Shoot me." After what felt like 3 minutes which was probably only 15 seconds of me giving him the command to step back he turned around and walked away towards the library again. We waited for the police to arrive, and flagged down one of the university cops. He was surprisingly cool about the whole thing and said the call never went out on dispatch. Later that night there were two robberies with a knife by an individual who matched my guys description. Following the incident I had the shakes from all the adrenaline, and Its something I definitely wont ever forget. All I can say is thank God I had my Glock and knew what to do.
Old 11-30-2012, 15:39   #111
G Twenty Three
CLM Number
Life Is Good

Yeah, once. Robbed at gunpoint, few punks, broad daylight in a somewhat crowded shopping area. It was a planned "ambush" (as the DA called it). Media was on it for a day or two. 2/3 of my shots hit the gunman so he's got a little token reminding him that stupid never wins.

Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet.

If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both.
G Twenty Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 16:09   #112
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Twenty Three View Post
Yeah, once. Robbed at gunpoint, few punks, broad daylight in a somewhat crowded shopping area. It was a planned "ambush" (as the DA called it). Media was on it for a day or two. 2/3 of my shots hit the gunman so he's got a little token reminding him that stupid never wins.
Thats badass. lol
Old 11-30-2012, 16:57   #113
wjv

- Wendover Utah many many years ago (20?). In a hotel room when some guys start kicking at the door of the room. Grabbed the Glock 19 and ran to the window. They see the gun and take off running at what looked like 90mph.

- Seattle WA 12 or so years ago. Walking to a restaurant at night with my wife, and my daughter who at that time was still in a stroller. Group of some urban youths decided that we looked like good targets for a strong armed robbery. Flip back shirt and rest hand on grip of my .38 snub. Yes I did have a CCW permit making it legal to carry. They see the gun and take off running at what looked like 90mph. (typical pattern when bad guys release that they employed faulty victim selection methods)

- Colorado many years ago. Middle of the night we hear pounding/kicking at the front door of our condo. Guy screaming that he was "going to kill all of us {bleepers}". Grabbed gun, called cops. One cop shows up, then eventually 3 more cops show up and take him down in the parking lot. Drunk, high, and had outstanding warrants. He was so drunk/high he didn't even know where he was. He never saw the gun since he never go into the condo, but it was pointed at the door just in case he breached the door.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 11-30-2012 at 17:08..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 19:56   #114
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
It's something that's so uniquely individual that one can never know how it will effect them until it happens. Some people will be haunted for life, some will go out for a nice dinner and have a sound night's sleep afterwards. Most people, I suspect, will fall somewhere in between.
NeverMore-
You have casually brushed aside the most onerous consequence of a self defense shooting causing a death. Your post is yet another manifestation of how casually many gun owners think about shooting someone with intent to kill.

You do a disservice to everyone by suggesting the personal, psychological consequences of such an incident might be less than life altering.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 12-01-2012 at 09:30..
PhotoFeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 20:48   #115
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
I had to draw my SA XD .40 while seated in my car. One night I was working late and was parked in a lot near the edge of a wooded lot. A guy walked up to my car from the woods and tried to open the door while I was sitting in the car. I pointed my pistol at the window and he took off.
I have heard the mighty XD is to be feared....apparently that guy got the memo
Old 11-30-2012, 20:49   #116
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Your final statement about taking a life is something we all need to think about.

Many of us seem pretty cavalier about carrying a gun, shooting bad guys, ammo preferences based on the best wound causing (killing) ballistics. As the Boss and most others who have fired a fatal bullet say, you'll never, ever, be the same. Yea, its better than being dead from the bad guy's attack. Maybe we should just work harder at staying out of harm's way.

This subject needs to be part of our dialogue regarding gun ownership accountability and responsibility.
I always joke and say I'd rather pistol whip someone than shoot them....ammo's expensive ya know
Old 11-30-2012, 20:53   #117
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd2 View Post
Playing cop is a risky game on your part. What if the attackers were actually the victim this guy just mugged? What if you shot an innocent person?
1. I am not now or will ever "play cop" 2. The gang tattoos I could see under the street light were enough to tell me who was involved 3. It's one thing to catch a hardcore beating by 4 guys....it's another thing to have to pull out a knife. I did what had to be done to save a life. Have a care before you start judging others actions
Old 11-30-2012, 20:56   #118
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdzach View Post
Yeah, a couple of years ago I was hiking at a state park and a pitbull came running out of the woods and attacked us. I shot it and it went down and as I was dialing 911 it got back up and came back for another round. The second shot I fired hit it in the top of the head and killed it. I had to give a statement to two deputies, a DNR officer, Animal Control and a Park Manager. It was a tough day for me since I like dogs.
I am a dog lover too but pitbulls are nasty and vicious, no matter HOW or WHO raises them. A pregnant woman in Cali was eaten by her 3 yr old pitbull and her husband had to come home and find the bloody mess.....hate those dogs!!
Old 11-30-2012, 20:57   #119
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdzach View Post
I drew my pistol once on the way back from Atlanta, but didn't have to fire it. I was driving through a shady part of west Atlanta on the way to the interstate after treating my mom to dinner. It was about 9:30 and dark. At a red light a thug/gangsta got out of his truck and started walking toward us with one hand holding his pants up and the other behind his back. I took my gun out and layed it on the dash with my hand on it so he could see it and he turned back toward his truck and fished around in the bed like he was looking for something. When the light turned green I sat there until he got back in his truck and drove off. I didn't want him behind me.
I don't blame you! Sometimes just "showing" a punk or BG that you are armed and ready is enough to suck the wind out of their sails
Old 11-30-2012, 20:59   #120
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by token5gtd View Post
Was getting gas late one night, there were a few more cars at the station. As usual for our town, there is always at least one crackhead wandering between the gas stations... begging, trying to sell whatever they stole that day... etc. I've always been good about keeping my head on a swivel and knowing where people were... but the guy that approached me was literally so skinny and black, view of him was obstructed by the pump until he was just on the other side of it, nearly within arms reach of me.

I had my back turned to him at the time, just about to take the nozzle out of my car when he says something and holds his hand out towards me. I later realized he was trying to show me something, probably in an attempt to sell me something... but point is, you don't sneak up on someone pumping gas at 1:00 am, and wait until you're at arms reach to announce yourself.

I didn't draw immediately, but he startled me pretty well. In one motion I spun around, took a step back, and had my hand on my gun before I myself even realized what happened. Needless to say that was all it took for him to change his mind and get the hell out of dodge.
Better off safe than sorry on your part, especially at 1am. Be proud of yourself...you didn't go all Clint Eastwood on him
Old 11-30-2012, 21:01   #121
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20 10mm View Post
have to agree here. It's a matter of situational decision making. Second guessing it afterwards is rather ludicrous as those second guessing weren't there!
^^this^^
Old 11-30-2012, 21:01   #122
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhambi View Post

The Okie Corral
Old 11-30-2012, 21:04   #123
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
Only once ever, least year. It was around 10:15PM on a Wednesday and my fiance was at some sort of function at her college. Being that I was carrying (IWB- but still), I didnt go into the school library with her. Instead I waited in the starbucks across the street. Anyway, when she texted me saying she was done I went and picked her up outside. We started walking back, and I lit a cigarette (I smoked at the time). 50 yards away from the library someone starts screaming "Stop! I told you to stop!" and a man emerges from behind some industrial equiptment and a dumpster next to the starbucks I was just at. We keep walking and he starts out at a run yelling for us to stop. He was definitely homeless. Around 6 foot, heavyset with the front of his shirt completely unbuttoned. I told him to step back or we'll call the police. He starts with some gibberish I cant understand save the "Put out my cigarette" and I again tell him to go away. We start walking again and he keeps coming at us again to the point where I cant turn my back to him any longer. I again yelled at him and told him to leave and my fiance called the police. When she got on her phone he moved quickly towards my fiance and says "pocket tax" and reaches behind his waste (Where we would consider small fo the back carry). It was then that I drew my G19 in I swear the most fluid draw I've ever done. I point the weapon at the man and yell for him to stay back. He then stops in his tracks and puts his hand on his hip in a weird fashion and says, "What, shoot me. Shoot me." After what felt like 3 minutes which was probably only 15 seconds of me giving him the command to step back he turned around and walked away towards the library again. We waited for the police to arrive, and flagged down one of the university cops. He was surprisingly cool about the whole thing and said the call never went out on dispatch. Later that night there were two robberies with a knife by an individual who matched my guys description. Following the incident I had the shakes from all the adrenaline, and Its something I definitely wont ever forget. All I can say is thank God I had my Glock and knew what to do.
I completely understand! My experience after 11 + years CCW definitely got the ol' blood flowing, and not in a good way
Old 11-30-2012, 21:06   #124
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Twenty Three View Post
My hats off to you good sir!! Give that ignorant s*it something to remember you by
Old 11-30-2012, 21:08   #125
maximus1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
- Wendover Utah many many years ago (20?). In a hotel room when some guys start kicking at the door of the room. Grabbed the Glock 19 and ran to the window. They see the gun and take off running at what looked like 90mph.

- Seattle WA 12 or so years ago. Walking to a restaurant at night with my wife, and my daughter who at that time was still in a stroller. Group of some urban youths decided that we looked like good targets for a strong armed robbery. Flip back shirt and rest hand on grip of my .38 snub. Yes I did have a CCW permit making it legal to carry. They see the gun and take off running at what looked like 90mph. (typical pattern when bad guys release that they employed faulty victim selection methods)

- Colorado many years ago. Middle of the night we hear pounding/kicking at the front door of our condo. Guy screaming that he was "going to kill all of us {bleepers}". Grabbed gun, called cops. One cop shows up, then eventually 3 more cops show up and take him down in the parking lot. Drunk, high, and had outstanding warrants. He was so drunk/high he didn't even know where he was. He never saw the gun since he never go into the condo, but it was pointed at the door just in case he breached the door.
No offense but you seem to be a trouble magnet LOL At least you were prepared each time....kudos!!!