SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2012, 23:21   #1
Fanner50
NRA Endowment

Is Glock still making the Gen 3 guns?

Was in a LGS today and they had a Gen3 Glock 23 as well as a Gen4 Glock 23. The Gen4 was about fifty more than the Gen3.
Is the Gen3 still being made now that the Gen4 is out or was the Gen3 old stock?

Thanks for the reply guys.
Old 11-27-2012, 23:26   #2
Glock40man

Yes sir.
Old 11-27-2012, 23:30   #3
tonyparson

By the looks of it Glock will be making the Gen 3's for a long time.
Old 11-27-2012, 23:54   #4
GlocknamStyle

personally, I think G17-Gen 3s are still better than the G17gen4s...but that's just me..
GlocknamStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 00:24   #5
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocknamStyle View Post
personally, I think G17-Gen 3s are still better than the G17gen4s...but that's just me..
What do you like better about the Gen 3's, or what do you dislike about the Gen 4's?
I personally do not like Gen 3's, now that I've got Gen 4's.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 00:48   #6
GlocknamStyle

several of my friends already have their G17 and G19 Gen 4s and some of them encounter issues on their new Glocks such as:

1.) spent cartridges flying straight to their face
2.) the larger recoil spring scraped a little portion of the frame
3.) FTFs and stovepipes

as for me, I have 2 G17 gen3s (one is an RTF2) and never encountered #1 and #2 and very seldom encounter #3, except when using some crappy reloads sold from the nearest shooting range..but maybe, not all Gen4s are like these...

however, this would not prevent me from buying a Gen4 in the near future..
Gen4s frames I like very much but maybe (in my opinion), the new spring design of Gen4s need further tweaking by the Glock people before they can be as reliable as the previous-generation Glocks...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58   #7
Kaonashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanner50 View Post
Was in a LGS today and they had a Gen3 Glock 23 as well as a Gen4 Glock 23. The Gen4 was about fifty more than the Gen3.
Is the Gen3 still being made now that the Gen4 is out or was the Gen3 old stock?

Thanks for the reply guys.
A couple of reasons they still make Gen 3's and will for the foreseeable future:

1) The Gen 4's are something you either love or hate and a fair number of people have unequivocally said that they hate them and made that part of their purchasing decision so Glock won't risk losing the customers.

2) The state of California. California, among many other ridiculous rules requires that manufacturers get their guns inspected by the state and added to a permissible list before being able to be sold within the state (they can still be brought in if bought by an out of state resident who moves or parent -> child transfer).

The Gen 3 Glocks are on that list, the Gen 4 glocks are not and because two of the requirements are a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine lockout (stopping the gun from firing with no mag and a round in the chamber). It makes no sense for Glock, or any other manufacturer for that matter, to give in to one state trying to hold them hostage so Glock hasn't even tried to get the Gen 4's approved nor have, from everything I've read, publicly stated that they've considered making those changes.

- Charlton Heston, on NBC's Meet the Press, May 18, 1997
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38   #8
INEEDMILK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocknamStyle View Post
several of my friends already have their G17 and G19 Gen 4s and some of them encounter issues on their new Glocks such as:

1.) spent cartridges flying straight to their face
2.) the larger recoil spring scraped a little portion of the frame
3.) FTFs and stovepipes

as for me, I have 2 G17 gen3s (one is an RTF2) and never encountered #1 and #2 and very seldom encounter #3, except when using some crappy reloads sold from the nearest shooting range..but maybe, not all Gen4s are like these...

however, this would not prevent me from buying a Gen4 in the near future..
Gen4s frames I like very much but maybe (in my opinion), the new spring design of Gen4s need further tweaking by the Glock people before they can be as reliable as the previous-generation Glocks...

From what I understand the Gen3 Glocks are have just as many problems as the Gen4s, if not more...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
INEEDMILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:18   #9
GlocknamStyle

true..but on my 2 G17 Gen3s, almost nil problems encountered since I had them..maybe that's the reason why I maybe a little biased in favor of Gen3s..but as I've said, these issues on Gen4s would not prevent me from having one in the near future...(a G19 Gen4 maybe)..

Last edited by GlocknamStyle; 11-28-2012 at 03:19..
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54   #10
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by INEEDMILK View Post
From what I understand the Gen3 Glocks are have just as many problems as the Gen4s, if not more...
My gen 3s were purchased between December 1999 and June 2009. Prior to the gen 3s I had a gen 2 model 22 that I no longer have. The only Gen 3 problem I had was my 1999 G26 had a faulty recoil spring assembly. Installing a Wolff 18# non captive recoil spring assembly fixed that. No other problems. I had a 23C, 30 and 27 during that time that I no longer have, no problems with them either. From what some people post here my June 2009 G17, with 05/20/09 fired case envelope should not be trusted. I trust my own experience firing it more than I trust internet hype and supposition.

Last edited by G26S239; 11-28-2012 at 03:58..
G26S239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59   #11
kshutt

I just picked up my new Gen 3 G17 last Saturday. It was manufactured in 2012. All of my Glocks are Gen 3's.
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:02   #12
kshutt

Quote:
Well, I haven't had my G19 all that long and haven't had any issues. I'll be honest about it if I have any issues with my new G17 after I shoot it.
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47   #13
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock40man View Post
Yes sir.
If you are saying Gen 3's are not being produced
that's wrong. As mentioned above California won't
allow gen 4's to be sold there.

If your saying they are still being produced, you're correct

Quote:
Over the last 3 months every forum I've read has more
complaints about gen4 guns. Glock only has updated the
RSA on gen4's and ejectors although people have
found the gen4 ejectors help on the gen3 as well.

Basically gen4 guns sent back to Glock get an updated
ejector, RSA & extractor. If that doesn't work they have
been replacing the entire gun.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 11-28-2012 at 07:53..
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27   #14
TTex
Cannon Fodder

The Gen 3 was probably old stock. They still make them, but my local police supply doesnt get in new Gen 3's for the models that are produced in Gen 4.

I look for the Gen 3's to go out of production within a year or two. I mean you cant buy a brand new Gen 2. Eventually Gen 3 will be the same, something they no longer produce. I work with Allison transmissions and they are currently using Gen 4 controls with Gen 5 on the way. You can no longer buy new Allison Gen 3 controls, so will it be with Glock. Slowly they will phase out the Gen 3's, its just a matter of time.

As for what they are doing in California, I didnt even know Glock made a pistol with a mag disconnect safety. If they do it is undoubtedly a special production made specifically for California, in which case California will be the last to change over, but hey, if you want a Gen 3 with a disconnect for some reason I think Cali is the only place those are available anyway.
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41   #15
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTex View Post

As for what they are doing in California, I didnt even know Glock made a pistol with a mag disconnect safety. If they do it is undoubtedly a special production made specifically for California, in which case California will be the last to change over, but hey, if you want a Gen 3 with a disconnect for some reason I think Cali is the only place those are available .
No Glock has the mag disconnect, they all fire without a mag.

The reason The Gen3 is legal in California is because it
was on the legal to buy list before they added the mag
disconnect ammendment. The Gen4 was produced after
so it cannot be sold there.

Glock will not produce a special model for one state.

As far as how long the Gen3 will be produced I think
as long as the distributors keep ordering them and
customers keep buying them (like me) they will
continue to be avalible.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46   #16
kaech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTex View Post

I look for the Gen 3's to go out of production within a year or two. I mean you cant buy a brand new Gen 2. Eventually Gen 3 will be the same

^THIS
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52   #17
Inebriated

Companies need to take a page out of Barrett's book and quit selling to these states that don't allow civilians to own their products.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 14:17   #18
COUNTYGUARDIAN

Best information I have is that both Gens are currently being produced. IMHO, the market place will dictate when the Gen 3 guns are no longer produced.

As for reliability, I have a pot full of Gen 3 guns and have recently got some Gen4s. I was one of the folks that swore "never going to go to Gen4". I held out for a while but got a Gen4 G32. Absolutely fell in love with it. Followed it with others and have been verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry satisfied.

Of all the Glocks I have had, only two have been problematic.

A Gen 3 G30SF refused to cycle a certain 200 gr SWC bullet that would run like a dog in my Gen 3 G21SF. It would not cycle a single time. Nada. However, it would eat any 230 RN you wanted to feed it including cast, plated and jacketed rounds.

The other one with issues was a Gen4 G26. Bought it new and it refused to extract an occasional round from the day I got it. I initially blamed it on the practice ammo. Took it to a match and fed it the "good" stuff and it was even worse. The Glock armorer at the match replaced every part of the ejection system. Since then, and several hundred rounds later, it has not missed a beat.

For what it is worth, I am convinced the majority of the bugs have been worked out of the Gen4s and they are now the frame of choice when I look for a new toy.
COUNTYGUARDIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 14:41   #19
jay1975
Ultra Master

The local blue label dealer only can get the Gen 4's and their website is pushing the Gen 3's back in the listings. I think the Gen 3's are already being phased out.
jay1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36   #20
TTex
Cannon Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
No Glock has the mag disconnect, they all fire without a mag.

The reason The Gen3 is legal in California is because it
was on the legal to buy list before they added the mag
disconnect ammendment. The Gen4 was produced after
so it cannot be sold there.

Glock will not produce a special model for one state.

As far as how long the Gen3 will be produced I think
as long as the distributors keep ordering them and
customers keep buying them (like me) they will
continue to be avalible.
I thought I was confused on that. Thanks for the info! You learn something new every day!

I still believe the Gen 3's are on the way out though. It's California with the problem not Glock. If they want to legislate out certain guns then they will be the ones SOL.

The only time I can ever remember a company going back to a former design was when they changed the Coka-cola formula, and even then it wasnt until a huge tidel-wave of backlash.

On the bright side with Gen 4 taking over they cant afford to let them keep hitting people in the face with brass! They will address the issue with the new guns, they have to.

Notice they came out with a new trigger housing with a new ejector for the Gen 4, (not Gen 3) its only the do-it-yourselfer who swaps the Gen 4 ejector into a Gen 3 trigger housing.
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote