Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19   #41
arclight610

General Firearms Forum

In real life, he'd be lucky if the birdshot didn't ricochet off of the door back at him.

Last edited by arclight610; 11-27-2012 at 09:23..
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19   #42
PVolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I agree, but these things aren't even noticed by the novice gun people. Just by us gun junkies. I see this stuff in movies/tv and point it out to my girlfriend and she just shakes her head and says, " only you would notice something like that". Yep.
This is true. And it's pretty much the same for every niche movie. Some people actually believe "The Fast and the Furious" is how real car enthusiasts act. If they depicted that movie accurately, it would be boring as hell to everyone but the true enthusiasts. Same reason Glocks "click" every time they are drawn in movies. A realistic quiet draw is far less fun and suspenseful to the average viewer.

Personally, I enjoy realism in movies. Though it's not very easy to find.
PVolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25   #43
jdw174

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 glocks View Post
In some of the old western shows when they shoot, they would jab the gun forward like throwing a punch.
The worst offender for that was Jingles Jones on the old Wild Bill Hickock series. I swore he was going to throw the thing instead of shoot it...
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29   #44
SigFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
The worst offender for that was Jingles Jones on the old Wild Bill Hickock series. I swore he was going to throw the thing instead of shoot it...
It make the bullet go faster when you thrust the gun while shooting
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29   #45
jdw174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
There was the one episode of Justified where Raylan jacks a live cartridge out of his Glock and drops it on a guy's chest and says... "Next one's coming a lot faster".

Raylan is absolutely the coolest dude on TV
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:52   #46
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
Not movies but in novels where the writer should know better, I've frequently read their lead character "takes the safety off" of a revolver. Really?? Same thing with Glocks. Come on now, revolvers with safeties. Don
Stephen King was the one writer I used to read who was worst about that - I finally quit reading anything he writes and I now read Dean Koontz, who is both pro-gun and knowledgeable about them.

Sadly, the movies made from dean Koontz's books are as far of the mark as the ones made from Stephen Kings books (Watchers turned a retired Navy SEAL lead character into...15-year-old Corey Haim, just to add to the realism of taking on government assassins and a genetically engineered super predator, all at the same time)

Last edited by Bren; 11-27-2012 at 09:56..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04   #47
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Send a message via Yahoo to pesticidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Watching the trailer (in which they showed that scene) almost kept me from tuning into the series. Almost...

Since then, TWD seems intent on including at least one WTF? firearm moment in every episode - the most recent being a clearly bent rifle barrel. I swear they're doing it on purpose.

General Firearms Forum
Makes it easier for a downward shot from up on the wall.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06   #48
JDennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17119jfkioe View Post
The best is when they have a Glock and they make the clicking sound as if they cocked a hammer
That is the most annoying thing ever in shows and movies. I never watched the show lost and my g/f and I started watching it over the holidays on net flix. In one episode they found a g-19, they "cocked" it two different times then the third the actor actually used his thumb like cocking a hammer back and it made the click... She was not happy with my yelling at the TV. Couldn't take it any longer
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12   #49
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Stephen King was the one writer I used to read who was worst about that - I finally quit reading anything he writes and I now read Dean Koontz, who is both pro-gun and knowledgeable about them.

Sadly, the movies made from dean Koontz's books are as far of the mark as the ones made from Stephen Kings books (Watchers turned a retired Navy SEAL lead character into...15-year-old Corey Haim, just to add to the realism of taking on government assassins and a genetically engineered super predator, all at the same time)
I've actually seen the whole gun thing over-thought also. In the post-apocalyptic novel Wolf and Iron, author Gordon R. Dickson has the protagonist meet up with a community of survivors. The protagonist is armed by the community's "weapons expert" with what is clearly a S&W Model 40 (described as a small double-action snub-nosed revolver with a totally enclosed internal hammer). The "expert" advises the protagonist that normally, he would carry the revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer. But because that revolver only has 5 shots, he should accept the risk of accidentally setting it off and keep it with every chamber loaded.

That was a moment of an author trying to sound like a "gun expert" and going too far...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33   #50
krisspy

How has no one mentioned this Hollywood staple: the Glock that continues to click when the trigger is pulled and the slide is locked back?
krisspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01   #51
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Movies that feature a time before the 1890's and they are all shooting model 94 Winchesters.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:07   #52
Cambo

In a Michael Pare' crime thriller, he enters an abandoned amusement park with a Glock 17L. When he enters the first tent, it's turned into a Glock 34. He then enters another room, now it's a Glock 17. Second tent, Glock 19. When he finally finds the bad guy, you guessed it, a Glock 26.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15   #53
jthrelf

In the recent movie "End of Watch" with Jake Gyllenhal, they are running across a courtyard under a storm of gunfire from 3 fully auto AKs and not one bullet makes contact
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20   #54
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
Not movies but in novels where the writer should know better, I've frequently read their lead character "takes the safety off" of a revolver. Really?? Same thing with Glocks. Come on now, revolvers with safeties. Don
I thought that as well. Then found sure-enough revolvers with real safeties. Don't recall brands and models offhand but the ones I've run across we're European... Maybe British... Found an "automatic revolver" also...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25   #55
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisspy View Post
How has no one mentioned this Hollywood staple: the Glock that continues to click when the trigger is pulled and the slide is locked back?

Heh -- that must be a trait of all semiautos in movies... I've seen 1911's do the same thing...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31   #56
railfancwb

Revolvers with safeties and semi-automatic revolver...

http://www.thegunzone.com/webley-fosbery.html

Odds are that the movie hero/villain mumbling about his/her revolver safety or automatic revolver won't be shown with one of these...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35   #57
dre23

Personally, I love it when the slide is clearly locked back and yet is still able to fire another shot!
dre23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05   #58
Tx-SIG229

i hate it when someone's M16 runs out of ammo and while the trigger is still being squeezed, you hear "clickclickclickclickclickclick"

its also annoying during a gun fight how rounds seriously miss their mark but as soon as someone hides around a corner, all the rounds coming their way misses their head by a few inches
Old 11-27-2012, 12:45   #59
4 glocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
It increases the velocity
Yes by 2 FPS
Old 11-27-2012, 13:10   #60
Berto
woo woo

Bullets being stopped by drywall, garbage cans, body of dead BG used as cover, etc.
I've lost count of how many times a guy survives a hail of machine gun and rifle fire buy hiding behind the BG he manged to circle parry and put between him and the shooters....very clever.
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote