Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:12   #141
GWSHARK
BITEYAHEADOFF

Would anyone kill a human to save their dog?
GWSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20   #142
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSHARK View Post
Depends on the human. If it were some Taliban vermin scum who killed women and girls for daring to learn to read, then absolutely. Hell, I'd do it to rescue a dog I'd never seen before.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:48   #143
Altaris

Quote:
That question is too vague. It depends on the situation.

If I am walking around the block and some guy runs up and tries to kill my dog, I am going to defend her in the same way I would myself or my child. If that other person dies in the process, so be it.
Altaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04   #144
badge315

Quote:
Hmmm, good question.

I might feed a welfare baby to a starving pit bull.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17   #145
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Save my dog? Hell, there's a substantial subset of humanity that I'd kill(if I were all powerful) because they simply don't deserve to live. So I'd reckon' the simple answer is yes.

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 13:47   #146
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Depends on the human and the dog, but it's a possibility.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 13:49   #147
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Would risk my life to save my animals.

Can't say the same for people (my job aside.)

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 13:50   #148
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
In the right situation, absolutely.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 14:07   #149
guns54
toni

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That may be your personal belief, but it isn't mine.

I'd risk my life to save my pets. I don't necessarily feel the same about other humans or even some of my own family members.
I feel the same,Have a safe night.
Old 11-28-2012, 14:08   #150
carloglock19

The way I see it and this is just my opinion. There are 3 types of pet owners:

1. Owners who are irresponsible and abusive towards their pets

2. Owners who care, protect and have a sense of responsibility for their pets

3. Owners who idolize their pets to the point of putting a higher than human value on them

I have owned dogs, cats, fish etc. since I was a child but I was brought up with the values of example # 2 and that’s it...nothing more nothing less.
BRC - 2016

Last edited by carloglock19; 11-28-2012 at 14:25.. Reason: By human I mean moral and good in nature! See 3
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 14:15   #151
Lonestar 48
Silver Membership

Well, I would definitely jump in the water to save two of my three dogs; the third one better wait a day or two before she goes swimming. She pee'd on the floor this morning.

If I saw a cat being carried out by the tide, I might toss some chum out just to see what happened!

Lonestar 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 14:18   #152
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloglock19 View Post

3. Owners who idolize their pets to the point of putting a higher than human value on them

I have owned dogs, cats, fish etc. since I was a child but I was brought up with the values of example # 2 and that’s it...nothing more nothing less.
You see it this way because it suits your purpose.

You could also say, "Owners that care, protect and have a sense of responsibility not just for, but to, their pets while also recognizing that humanity if full of unspeakably evil people whose life value is far less than that of a good pet and more likely to be on par with dung." I guess that'd be about 2.5 on your scale?

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Old 11-28-2012, 14:47   #153
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:

Or my group:

4. People who places very little importance on human life, regardless of comparisons with animals.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 14:50   #154
md2lgyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That may be your personal belief, but it isn't mine.

I'd risk my life to save my pets. I don't necessarily feel the same about other humans or even some of my own family members.
Then you're a messed-up human being. We have no pets now, though used to have a cat or two in the past. They are animals, no more, no less. And I hate (HATE) dogs; would pay money to shoot them.
Old 11-28-2012, 14:53   #155
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Then you're a messed-up human being. We have no pets now, though used to have a cat or two in the past. They are animals, no more, no less. And I hate (HATE) dogs; would pay money to shoot them.

You should seek psychological help.

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Old 11-28-2012, 14:54   #156
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
The family created the scenario of their own demise. Had they not taught junior that "doggie is people" he would have waved goodbye to doggie like a country boy and everyone would still be alive-even the dog.

I don't share your "Opinion".

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 15:01   #157
Ironbar

It's just Darwinism at work.
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 15:31   #158
countrygun

Quote:

You "#3" has a serious flaw.

There is no "absolute" value to a human life. If, for instance, a person decides to become a suicide bomber, they haven't put a high enough value on their own life to make if worthwhile for someone else to cae if they live or not. The same with a low life criminal, a child murderer has decided that his life is not of the same value as, say, a pediatrician.

Simply because one is born does not guarantee that one's life has more value than that of a good dog, or in some cases, a "bad" dog. I certainly wouldn't let the FT. Hood shooter live at the cost of my dog's life, and sometimes the dog REALLY PO's me.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 15:36   #159
Critias
CLM Number 236
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
The family created the scenario of their own demise. Had they not taught junior that "doggie is people" he would have waved goodbye to doggie like a country boy and everyone would still be alive-even the dog.
You don't know a thing about this family, and the only scenario being created is the one you are making up in your own head. You imagine yourself as surrounded by no good city slicker yuppies, you put words in their mouths (while ignoring their arguments), and you've decided -- on your own, in you imagination -- how this tragedy went down. People have explained to you again and again how this family didn't die trying to save a dog, and you've ignored them with all the maturity and intellect of a four year old covering their ears and shouting "LA LA LA I can't hear you."

You're the only one who's insisted this family raised their children to believe a dog is as valuable as a human. If that's how they raise their kids, why didn't the daughter jump in, too? If that's how they raise their kids, why did the son give up on saving their dog? If the family believes dogs are worth as much as humans, why didn't they all jump in when the doggie hit the water?

The plain truth is that they didn't. A 16 year old boy, somewhat impetuously (as we expect from 16 year old boys) lost something in the water that was precious to him, and decided to jump in after it. That's what 16 year old boys do, they make poor decisions on the spur of the moment. It doesn't matter that it was a dog. It could have been an expensive pair of sunglasses, it could have been a set of keys on a floatie keyring, hell, the kid might have been dared to go for a swim (because, again, that's what teenagers do).

Everything that happened after that -- everything -- wasn't about a dog or about those kids being raised poorly, it was about a family that loved each other and tried to save one another from dangerous waters. And that? That is nobility. "Greater love hath no man," ringing any bells?

It's pretty execrable, twisting what happened and insulting their memory this way, just to start an argument on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Yeah. You would pay money to shoot dogs, and the other guy is a messed up human being? You've got a few wires crossed, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbar View Post
It's just Darwinism at work.
This is a family that died leaping into the ocean to try and save one another, and you're doing to sully it with something so crass and banal as that, to try and earn a few internet tough guy points? Shame on you. Plain and simple: shame.

And to those who insist an animal isn't worth another human being's life -- any human being's life -- with such absolution? Bullcrap. How many of you also insist you'd use lethal force on someone who was trying to rob you (so that a wallet is worth someone's life)? How many of you also say you'd use lethal force on a stranger in your house (so that your sense of fear, but mostly your property rights, are worth someone's life)? There are lots of things society decides are worth a human being's life, depending on the scenario. And if it's a human being freely choosing, of their own volition, to risk their life in order to save something precious to them -- why does it matter if that "something" is a dog? It's their life. They can try to save whoever, or whatever, they want with it.
"It seems that the least we owe the hero is that we remember him. Without remembrance, without honor, we cannot expect to have such men when we need them. Without an awareness of what has been done, we do not realize what can be done, nor are we inspired to do that which should be done. "
--Paul Kirchner

Last edited by Critias; 11-28-2012 at 15:49.. Reason: typo
Critias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 16:18   #160
countrygun

"Critias",

well said.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote