Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-26-2012, 22:54   #61
Goat 36

I agree that it's been established that the family members perished attempting to save eachother after the boy went in after the dog.

I'd like to add that, like NEOH212 points out, if you've never really connected with an animal in your life, you probably have no concept of the experience and, for some, may not ever have the pleasure of developing that kind of unique connection.

One fact has always been very clear and profound to me: I know beyond the shadow of any doubt that my dog/dogs would absolutely give 'their' lives for 'me' without hesitation if they sensed that I was in real trouble.

That fact alone, for me, is plenty motivation for me to do the same. In the moment that a loved one's life is teetering on the edge of a cliff, all man-made rules and reputations go right out the window. It is our truest nature and yet it is foreign to so many.

As someone else stated, I believe animals show us constantly how humans could/should be. Most of the things on Earth that arrogant humans look down upon as lower life forms are actually way above us in many ways.

-Justified theme song.
Goat 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:59   #62
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat 36 View Post
As someone else stated, I believe animals show us constantly how humans could/should be. Most of the things on Earth that arrogant humans look down upon as lower life forms are actually way above us in many ways.
You will never be able to explain that to the people who need to hear it the most. The people who are an embarrassment to the rest of us humans.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 23:08   #63
countrygun

This thread was started on a false premise, a twisting of the facts and flawed logic so egergious that it has forced me to go to an horrifying extreme---I am forced to agree with "gunhaver".

The "rescue was a cluster *****. started by the boy going after the dog BUT I have to ask, unless this kid was raised on a farm and used to killing his 4-H projects, would it be considered "normal" for a kid to just watch a family pet die?

Don't we generally get concerned about kids who can watch animals die?

It was the job of the parents to be "in charge" at the beach. It is a dangerous place and I live very close to the same type of beach. It is not a place where you can afford not to pay attention. Several things failed, but a kid being concerned about his pet wasn't the stupid part of the tragedy.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 23:14   #64
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That may be your personal belief, but it isn't mine.

I'd risk my life to save my pets. I don't necessarily feel the same about other humans or even some of my own family members.
I've jumped through ice to save a dog and kicked a foaming racoon with sandals to save a horse. I also cracked a beer when the punk kid down the next road was life-flighted away after trying to steal stuff from a utility substation. Still have the dog, the horse made it to 28 and the kid steers his chair with his tongue and I sleep well at night. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 23:24   #65
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
I've jumped through ice to save a dog and kicked a foaming racoon with sandals to save a horse. I also cracked a beer when the punk kid down the next road was life-flighted away after trying to steal stuff from a utility substation. Still have the dog, the horse made it to 28 and the kid steers his chair with his tongue and I sleep well at night. HH
I really don't know how I could agree with you any more than I do now.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 23:27   #66
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
No animal is worth risking even the most worthless human life over IMO. I love my dog and cat, but the only way I'd try to save them is if there was no risk to my life. Animals do not have a soul. Even the most worthless human has a soul and possibly one day they will come to know Jesus and be saved. No animal can ever do that.
What about risking a human life over other physical property? How about risking other peoples life over physical property?

People do it every day: People put their own lives and the lives of others at risk for silly stupid reasons, many/most arguably far, far more frivolous than trying to save a pet.

Do you live a live trying to avoid ALL risk? What extremes do you take this approach?

(Keep in mind this question is coming from a professional risk manager.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 23:29   #67
MrsUzi4U
Hmmm

Just maybe they were confident that their lives wouldn't be at stake swimming after the dog, boy, dad. The thought might have been they were going to get wet, cold, and inconvenienced, but it would all come out right giving a helping hand to dog, boy, dad.
MrsUzi4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 23:39   #68
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I'd let any number of rapists, murderers, child abusers, terrorists, and just plain old ass holes drown if it meant saving my dog, cats, horses... hell, even the fish and snakes. And TV. My stuff is more important to me than someone who doesn't care enough about their own life to bother living like a decent human being.
For the last time

Last edited by NeverMore1701; 11-26-2012 at 23:41..
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 23:50   #69
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
I love my dog and cat, but the only way I'd try to save them is if there was no risk to my life.
And here we have it. This is closer to the truth than what a lot of people here have posted. Sure, most people care about their pets immensely...but now back to reality.

Put in that situation, 99% of everyone here aren't running into any house engulfed in flames to save their pets...they will stand on the lawn and watch their house burn down in disbelief like everyone else.

It doesn't mean they don't care, humans have a natural instinct to survive...and it supersedes pulling movie stunts to save animals.

Last edited by tantrix; 11-26-2012 at 23:52..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 23:54   #70
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
And here we have it. This is closer to the truth than what a lot of people here have posted. Sure, most people care about their pets immensely...but now back to reality.

Put in that situation, 99% of everyone here aren't running into any house engulfed in flames to save their pets...they will stand on the lawn and watch their house burn down in disbelief like everyone else.

It doesn't mean they don't care, humans have a natural instinct to survive...and it supersedes pulling movie stunts to save animals.
When I was 13 that exact thing happened and I went back in after the dog. Dad went in after me, but the story had a happier ending.
Old 11-27-2012, 00:05   #71
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
When I was 13 that exact thing happened and I went back in after the dog. Dad went in after me, but the story had a happier ending.
I'd hope my kids (especially teenagers) are smart enough to not run back into a house engulfed in flames.
Old 11-27-2012, 00:15   #72
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahIrishman View Post
One of the things that makes me get up and go to work every day is to see the complete loyalty and trust that our cats display in me that I will provide for them.

I don't know anyone else including my wife who have that kind of complete loyalty and trust in me.

I would go to hell and back for any of our pets.

Amen!

(I guess that makes me a loon too!)

That's fine by me!
Old 11-27-2012, 00:16   #73
countrygun

Quote:
I'd hope my kids (especially teenagers) are smart enough to not run back into a house engulfed in flames.
There are those will will risk and those who won't.

Dad was going back in but he was trying to calm my hysterical mother so I went.

I was raised knowing that risk was a part of life and worst thing a man could be called was a coward.

I have never had much use for a man who thinks his skin is the most valuable thing in the world.
Old 11-27-2012, 00:17   #74
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
The Okie Corral
I am the crazy cat lady!

Old 11-27-2012, 00:20   #75
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

I'm not sure that the family members even realized the danger when the son went after the dog and the mom and son subsequently went in after the dad. 8-10 foot waves aren't necessarily all that fearsome looking and many folks don't realize how powerful the undercurrents can be that are associated with such waves.

They figure that since they are very close to shore to begin with, the worst that can happen is they get knocked down and thrown back towards the beach. A lot of folks don't understand that the wave action can create powerful currents that will quickly drag you AWAY from shore.

My guess is that the kid went into the water thinking "I'll just grab the pooch and drag him back. Worst that can happen is I get tossed around a bit". I doubt he thought he was making a life-threatening decision in the first place.

Everything that happened afterwards was a tragic series of events involving humans trying to save other beloved HUMAN members of the famiy, not the pet.

May you have food and raiment, a soft pillow for your head, and may you be forty years in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead! - Old Irish Toast
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 00:25   #76
Calico Jack
NO QUARTER

Quote:

I 'd take death over living with the guilt of knowing I stood idly by on my front lawn as my best friend burned to death inside my residence.
Calico Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 00:26   #77
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I am the crazy cat lady!

So, how many "Hello Kitty" pistols do you own?

J/K
Old 11-27-2012, 00:34   #78
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

I'm not gonna die over any animal! Got a dog, he's become more trouble Than he's worth the past couple months, honestly wish I never got him. If somebody said it's you orthe dog buddy, I'd say take him then.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 00:50   #79
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
There are those will will risk and those who won't.

Dad was going back in but he was trying to calm my hysterical mother so I went.

I was raised knowing that risk was a part of life and worst thing a man could be called was a coward.

I have never had much use for a man who thinks his skin is the most valuable thing in the world.
A burning house is dangerous even for firefighters to enter, much less people with no training or proper gear. It's the same reason firefighters go into burning houses for people first...they don't want to end up in the obituaries over someone's dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePirate View Post
I 'd take death over living with the guilt of knowing I stood idly by on my front lawn as my best friend burned to death inside my residence.
Assessing risks is part of life. If both of you burned to death because you failed, it doesn't make you a hero...it says you made a poor decision. I don't know about you, but I have a wife and kids...and they don't want me risking my life over a pet.
Old 11-27-2012, 00:55   #80
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
So, how many "Hello Kitty" pistols do you own?

J/K
I'll never tell.....

Now my Hello Kitty PJ's.....