SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-26-2012, 20:01   #41
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
For those who would risk their life to save an animal (any animal including pets), feel free to answer this question:
Why do you insist that others should have the same values as you?
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 20:10   #42
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26...g-to-save-dog/

Ironically, the only survivor was the dog. When people overly anthropomorphize animals into pseudo-humans, this sort of thing happens. No dog is worth the death of an entire family.
agreed, saw that animals are animals yeah we fall in love with them but thats just it they are still animals. If I could with a Minimum of risk save a pet I would do it..but if id have to honestly have to risk mine or a family members life to do so thats when you have to remember that no matter how attached we get that they are just that Animals and not worth risking life for IMO. of course others will have different opinions...thats fine...I dont insist that they agree with me...do I think its foolish to value our pets lives as much as ours yes. I think God gave humans something special he didnt give to animals...and thus I value human life over animals. (Well most human life I should say there are some that would never be worth saving but thats another subject...( im not talking criminals,dirt bags, etc or any of those types)

I read that article earlier today and quickly thought..nope id not have done that id have stopped the rest of my family from doing that either. Id have felt horrible but i also known id have made the right decision.

Last edited by CBennett; 11-26-2012 at 20:17..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 20:15   #43
dotsun
conf t

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jewapo View Post
Pretty much any animal can swim.
I've seen the DNA and I really don't think squatches can swim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 20:17   #44
badge315

Quote:
For those who would risk their life to save a stranger, feel free to answer this question:

Assuming that you have family/friends who love you and/or rely on you to keep them safe, do you think that they will miss you and mourn your death more than that stranger you tried to save?

OR, would your loving spouse, child, mother, father, brother, sister, close friend etc. mourn the loss of YOUR life more than that of the stranger if you we're to lose YOUR life trying to save a stranger?

Just how selfish would you be if you were to sacrafice your life over that of a stranger?
I've changed one word, but you could still apply that exact same logic. So I guess all those people who risk their lives to save strangers are a bunch of selfish A-holes too, huh?

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 20:30   #45
ysr_racer

Quote:
[URL] No dog is worth the death of an entire family.
I've got some inlaws I trade for a dead dog any day of the week.
Old 11-26-2012, 21:10   #46
Caver 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
agreed, saw that animals are animals yeah we fall in love with them but thats just it they are still animals. If I could with a Minimum of risk save a pet I would do it..but if id have to honestly have to risk mine or a family members life to do so thats when you have to remember that no matter how attached we get that they are just that Animals and not worth risking life for IMO. of course others will have different opinions...thats fine...I dont insist that they agree with me...do I think its foolish to value our pets lives as much as ours yes. I think God gave humans something special he didnt give to animals...and thus I value human life over animals. (Well most human life I should say there are some that would never be worth saving but thats another subject...( im not talking criminals,dirt bags, etc or any of those types)

I read that article earlier today and quickly thought..nope id not have done that id have stopped the rest of my family from doing that either. Id have felt horrible but i also known id have made the right decision.
Quote:
For those who would risk their life to save an animal (any animal including pets), feel free to answer this question:

Assuming that you have family/friends who love you and/or rely on you to keep them safe, do you think that they will miss you and mourn your death more than that animal you tried to save?

OR, would your loving spouse, child, mother, father, brother, sister, close friend etc. mourn the loss of YOUR life more than that of the animal if you we're to lose YOUR life trying to save an animal (especially a pet)?

Just how selfish would you be if you were to sacrafice your life over that of a family pet or any animal?

In the story posted by the OP there is 2 survivors, the young daughter who called 911 and watched her ENTIRE FAMILY drown, and the dog. This girl will live her entire life without the love and comfort of her family. Do any of you animal lovers think that the death of this girl's mother, father and brother worth their ultimate sacrafice trying to save one stinkin' dog?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
My dogs have a job, if they die in the execution of their job then so be it. I don't get emotionally attached to animals. I respect them, appreciate their service and make their life as comfortable and loving as realistically possible.

But they are not humans, they do not have human thought process and they are low on the hierarchy of value when it comes to life choices.
No animal is worth risking even the most worthless human life over IMO. I love my dog and cat, but the only way I'd try to save them is if there was no risk to my life. Animals do not have a soul. Even the most worthless human has a soul and possibly one day they will come to know Jesus and be saved. No animal can ever do that.

If my pet gets sick, I can and will put a bullet in it's brain without a thought. For instance a few years ago an adult cat we adopted got leukemia. After a consult with a vet, I took it home, put a piece of it's favorite food in front of it, and while the cat was eating I put him down. Done the same to other pets over the years. Would never do something like that to a human, unless they were a threat to me or my loved ones.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 21:11   #47
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

I am admittedly overly attached to my pets. My wife and I are freaks who easentialy treat our pets like our kids. We loce our pets. I like my pets more than most people. I would indeed risk my life for my pets.

But the reality is this: they are not people, they are animals. As such, this fact trumps my emotions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 21:14   #48
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsun View Post
I've seen the DNA and I really don't think squatches can swim.
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 21:18   #49
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbert View Post
I like my dog more than I like most people. She will protect me, and I will protect her, if I can.
I feel the same way about my cats. What's weird is a few years ago I wasn't a animal person. I even called someone stupid in a old thread that died in the process of trying to save their dog.

Man how things change. I never had pets when I was a kid so I never understood the bond there was to be had with them. One little kitty came into my life and changed that. Now I can't think of life without them.

I would die saving my cats. People can call me what they will but I don't care. I was that person once and believe me I understand that they aren't able to relate or understand how we feel about it. They give us unconditional love and represent everything that us humans should be but often aren't.

I'm glad for and I'm forever grateful to that sweet little kitty that came into my life and changed me forever. God rest him.
Old 11-26-2012, 21:20   #50
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
Animals do not have a soul.
I don't want to get into a Religious debate here but that isn't true. In fact, our pets will be with us in heaven.

Please feel free to PM me for further information.

Old 11-26-2012, 21:44   #51
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

This reminds me of a hypothetical situation brought up on another forum I frequent. The situation was presented as follows:

Your community is hit by a terrible flood, and your pet dog is missing. You finally come across your dog and a complete stranger in the flood waters, and they are both about to drown. Do you save your dog, or the stranger? You can only choose to save one.

The results consisted of about half the people saying they would save their pet dog, while the other half ridiculed the first half for holding a dogs life higher than a humans. Hypotheticals are dumb so I declined to answer.

|
|
|
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 21:50   #52
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
No animal is worth risking even the most worthless human life over IMO.
So you are saying that you wouldn't even risk Hitler or Osama's life for that of your dog who has been completely obedient, loved your family without question, and brought joy to your life?

Quote:
Animals do not have a soul. Even the most worthless human has a soul and possibly one day they will come to know Jesus and be saved. No animal can ever do that.
Us animals(humans), are going to the same place as our animal cousins(dogs) when we die.....the ground. Then other animals can live and grow off of the our materials.
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 21:56   #53
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
This reminds me of a hypothetical situation brought up on another forum I frequent. The situation was presented as follows:

Your community is hit by a terrible flood, and your pet dog is missing. You finally come across your dog and a complete stranger in the flood waters, and they are both about to drown. Do you save your dog, or the stranger? You can only choose to save one.

The results consisted of about half the people saying they would save their pet dog, while the other half ridiculed the first half for holding a dogs life higher than a humans. Hypotheticals are dumb so I declined to answer.
And that is exactly why I don't like the "would you risk your life?" type questions.
They automatically imply that you know your life is in jeopardy when you are doing the act. In most of these type of cases, where someone dies trying to save their pet, or their car, or whatever, it is because they think they are perfectly fine. Before they realize it they are then in over their heads and it is too late.
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:25   #54
UtahIrishman
BLR

One of the things that makes me get up and go to work every day is to see the complete loyalty and trust that our cats display in me that I will provide for them.

I don't know anyone else including my wife who have that kind of complete loyalty and trust in me.

I would go to hell and back for any of our pets.

----
UtahIrishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:29   #55
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahIrishman View Post
One of the things that makes me get up and go to work every day is to see the complete loyalty and trust that our cats display in me that I will provide for them.

I don't know anyone else including my wife who have that kind of complete loyalty and trust in me.

I would go to hell and back for any of our pets.

tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:34   #56
ron59
Bustin Caps

I probably wouldn't risk my life for most animals. I would for MY dogs.

OP doesn't have a clue.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:35   #57
UtahIrishman
BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
I wouldn't expect anyone else to do so. My choice.

I give complete loyalty in return for complete loyalty...and pets do just that.

----
UtahIrishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:44   #58
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahIrishman View Post
I wouldn't expect anyone else to do so. My choice.

I give complete loyalty in return for complete loyalty...and pets do just that.
The Okie Corral
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:46   #59
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26...g-to-save-dog/

Ironically, the only survivor was the dog. When people overly anthropomorphize animals into pseudo-humans, this sort of thing happens. No dog is worth the death of an entire family.
This story headline could just have easily read, "Family makes bad decision, bad things happen..."

Has nothing to do with the dog. If they'd died all trying to save a child they'd still be dead and it would still be sad. If they'd saved the dog then they'd all be heroes. It has nothing to do with the dog.

Go ahead and put "going all anti-dog on GT" on the list of not the brightest ideas you've had. And what's this blather about non-vegans having ethics and priorities issues? A chicken or a cow isn't going to save me from a fire or walk 500 miles to find me. A chicken and a cow are for enjoying with other animals that will do those things, both 2 and 4 legged.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 22:52   #60
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That may be your personal belief, but it isn't mine.

I'd risk my life to save my pets. I don't necessarily feel the same about other humans or even some of my own family members.
Thank you. I totally agree with fnfalman.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote