GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36   #301
Critias
CLM Number 236
Freelancer
 
Critias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 16,476
Blog Entries: 14


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
How on earth would you know someone is any of those things? Why do you assume most people are?
He would magically know that a person was a murderer or a pedophile the same exact way you magically know what belief system got this family killed.
__________________
"It seems that the least we owe the hero is that we remember him. Without remembrance, without honor, we cannot expect to have such men when we need them. Without an awareness of what has been done, we do not realize what can be done, nor are we inspired to do that which should be done. "
--Paul Kirchner
Critias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55   #302
badge315
Senior Member
 
badge315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Middleburg, FL
Posts: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
So, your opinion is actually the minority.
Well, on this thread your opinion is the minority one, so why don't you just STFU already? I don't believe anyone here could think you are a bigger [insert favorite derogatory term here] than you've already shown yourself to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
But, I wouldn't eat a dog, or a horse, or a pig either.
Why wouldn't you eat a pig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
You are very wrong. I have encountered domestic packs over and over again, because people just let their dogs loose to do whatever. They have no fear of humans and I have watched them catch my scent while working and actually come in for an attack. The majority are usually scared off by yelling and making yourself look big. That usually leaves the Alpha and Beta dog. Then if you can spook the Beta dog he'll hang back with the rest of the pack trying to get a lead from the Alpha dog. If the Alpha dog doesn't back down, he catches a bullet and the rest disperse.
Either you are lying about this (which I believe is the case) or your attitudes about animals is motivated by your paralyzing fear of them.
__________________
"I am the sum of all evil...yet many still seek me out; a green jewel they must possess. But see how I destroy their lives."

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11   #303
airmotive
Tin Kicker
 
airmotive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Debris Field
Posts: 6,997
Blog Entries: 1
Without plowing through all 13 pages, has anyone mentioned that it is very doubtful this 16 year old sacrificed himself to save his dog, but rather went into the water with every intention of coming back out of the water. It's not like he threw himself into a volcano in place of this dog in order to appease the 'volcano gods'.

The kid cared about his dog and tried to take care of him. He did the noble thing, without ever intending to lose his life. I'm sure his mom and dad did the same thing, again, without ever intending to lose their lives. The OP makes these sound like suicides. They weren't. They were unintended consequences of decision, based on a lack of understanding of the situation at hand.

Human behavior really isn't that complicated. People make bad decision all the time.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------
Combine ignorance, arrogance and low altitude, and the result is guaranteed to be spectacular.
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16   #304
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
Without plowing through all 13 pages, has anyone mentioned that it is very doubtful this 16 year old sacrificed himself to save his dog, but rather went into the water with every intention of coming back out of the water. It's not like he threw himself into a volcano in place of this dog in order to appease the 'volcano gods'.

The kid cared about his dog and tried to take care of him. He did the noble thing, without ever intending to lose his life. I'm sure his mom and dad did the same thing, again, without ever intending to lose their lives. The OP makes these sound like suicides. They weren't. They were unintended consequences of decision, based on a lack of understanding of the situation at hand.

Human behavior really isn't that complicated. People make bad decision all the time.
Take a peek at post #257. See if you don't agree.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40   #305
Jgriggs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Actually, the article reads the 16 year old decides to run in to save his dog. The parents down trying to save him. The body of the boy is missing and presumed dead, and the dog is doing just fine.


Well actually that's not at all what it says.

It says, and I quote from the AP story found at:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26...g-to-save-dog/

". . .Jones said the boy went after the dog, prompting his father to go after them. She said the teenager was able to get out, but when he didn't see his father, he and his mother went into the water looking for him."

You see that part where it says "the teenager was able to get out"? well thats the part I was referencing when I said he gave up and came out of the water.

You see that part where it says "prompting his dad to go in after him" well that's the part that prompted me to say the dad went in after him.

You see the part where it says "he and his mother went into the water looking for him." Well that's the part that prompted me to say they; the mother and son, went in looking for the father.

Did the entire family die? Yes they did. However, they died trying to save each other, not the dog. The only person, according to the story that ever tried to save the dog gave up on it and returned to shore, thus ending operation doggie paddle. After that, every person to enter the water went in after another person. Again, according to the story.

So the real question is; would you enter 8' to 10' surf to save your child? your wife? your husband? Because that is what this story is about.

Reading comprehension is a powerful tool and will open a whole new world.
Jgriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:55   #306
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critias View Post
He would magically know that a person was a murderer or a pedophile the same exact way you magically know what belief system got this family killed.
If that value system weren't there, he wouldn't have gone in. I have evidence based on an actualy occurance. You and he have...?
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:01   #307
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
As predicted, you failed to answer a simple question and instead make a feeble attempt to deflect and change the subject. At least you can live up to expectations, even if they fail.
Not simple at all. You are assuming all sociopaths have a special monikor about their heads that declare what they are with a flashing beacon. I wish that was the case, it would make society a safer place.

Quote:
Apparently your reading comprehension is muddled with your lack of logic. As I said, and I'll put it in bold so perhaps you'll read and possibly comprehend it this time, "Just cause certain societies eat dogs or cats or horses or people doesn't make it right or acceptable in our society."
And you have decided what is right and acceptable based upon what?



Quote:


(While I'm pretty sure you are being purposely obtuse, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend you are simply ignorant in replying to this.)
Not getting the response you desire does not imply your supposition.

Quote:
Really? Let's see.......there were 31 fatal dog attacks in the US in 2011 while there were 14,612 murders(as in human on human). You're right it's obvious that 31 is a much, much larger number that 14,612 and "packs of wild dogs" are much more dangerous than people.
And that makes it acceptable? Are you are part of the crowd that thinks your fido can run wild and free throughout society without your supervision?

Quote:
I really don't think you could put forth a less cogent argument than you've managed to do. Good job in that I suppose.
You seem to use insult rather than an attempt at an honest dialogue because your argument is lacking.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:05   #308
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
If that value system weren't there, he wouldn't have gone in. I have evidence based on an actualy occurance. You and he have...?
You have no "evidence" whatsoever. Anymore than your posts give me evidence that "the Bible teaches Christians that animal abuse is OK"

You are taking a news story and creating/assuming YOUR OWN motivationfor it and then claiming the story proves your assumption is right.

It doesn't even come up to what I would expect, from the reasoning abilities, of a fifth-grader.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:11   #309
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You have no "evidence" whatsoever. Anymore than your posts give me evidence that "the Bible teaches Christians that animal abuse is OK"
That is nothing but a straw man argument. I haven't mentioned the bible or religion once in this argument.

Quote:
You are taking a news story and creating/assuming YOUR OWN motivationfor it and then claiming the story proves your assumption is right.
So far the reaction has been proving that my assumption regarding the value system that caused this tragedy to be accurate.

Quote:
It doesn't even come up to what I would expect, from the reasoning abilities, of a fifth-grader.
Well, then try harder then.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:29   #310
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,624
The Okie Corral
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:31   #311
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
That is nothing but a straw man argument. I haven't mentioned the bible or religion once in this argument.

It doesn't matter to my point, but yes, you have mentioned religion. You specifically used the term "worshipping their animals"


So far the reaction has been proving that my assumption regarding the value system that caused this tragedy to be accurate.

The old 5th grade "If you argue, it proves I'm right" tactic


Well, then try harder then.

You would be hilarious in person. You are a self-generating parody. You could look at any news item and say "Well it was caused by "X" and the proof is, that it happened, so it proves"X" was the cause".

You aren't even sharp enough to see how flawed your logic is.

I will again dare you to prove that the boy thought his dog was human, go on PROVE your position. Did he tell you in a dream? Tell me what was in the mind of dead person you never met. C'mon, I am sure you can do it.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:33   #312
Kilrain
Señor Member
 
Kilrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: On the road to Shambala
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Not simple at all. You are assuming all sociopaths have a special monikor about their heads that declare what they are with a flashing beacon. I wish that was the case, it would make society a safer place.
Well, your sociopathology is pretty obvious so......perhaps you are the only one who can't see it?

The rest of your "reply" wasn't worth commenting on so I skipped it and picked up here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
You seem to use insult rather than an attempt at an honest dialogue because your argument is lacking.
Well, truth be told, your lack of critical thinking skills make it so easy, it's hard to pass up. However you have reminded me of that famous, inspiring remark that gave hope and courage to a generation:

The Okie Corral
__________________
For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

- Sterling Archer
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:33   #313
officerswife9803
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Question

Can I ask to support a Facebook page on here?
officerswife9803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 17:06   #314
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
Well, your sociopathology is pretty obvious so......perhaps you are the only one who can't see it?

The rest of your "reply" wasn't worth commenting on so I skipped it and picked up here:



Well, truth be told, your lack of critical thinking skills make it so easy, it's hard to pass up. However you have reminded me of that famous, inspiring remark that gave hope and courage to a generation:

The Okie Corral
Even though this might be yours:

The Okie Corral


It doesn't equal this:

The Okie Corral
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.

Last edited by Kingarthurhk; 12-03-2012 at 17:07..
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 17:26   #315
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,547
My dog is my shadow and a family member. He would no doubt die for me and I would risk my life for him.
That's just the way it is.Sad thing that happened but family is family!
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 17:38   #316
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
I have seen people o the beach, a mile from my house, go in to a serious undertow area to retreive a frisbee. I guess I can conclude "they thought the frisbee was human".

People lose their lives every day simply because they don't realize the dangers of their actions.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:15   #317
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
My dog is my shadow and a family member. He would no doubt die for me and I would risk my life for him.
That's just the way it is.Sad thing that happened but family is family!
You're right, that is sad. You sound like you need a human companion.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.

Last edited by Kingarthurhk; 12-03-2012 at 18:16..
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:16   #318
Kilrain
Señor Member
 
Kilrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: On the road to Shambala
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Even though this might be yours:

The Okie Corral


It doesn't equal this:

The Okie Corral


Well you certainly told me.......

__________________
For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

- Sterling Archer
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:24   #319
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 26,188
Blog Entries: 2
My Dog LOVED the beach!!! Yet He simply looked at me weird when I threw a stick for Him to fetch.

He loved running into the waves. I don't know if He saw fish, or was just having a good time, but He would run into the ocean and bite at the waves as well as dive head first into the shallows like He was trying to grab something.

Back in the day we cooked out a lot. His attention never left the grill once He heard the charcoal being dumped into it.

Yeah, I would have went after Him if I thought He was caught in a rip current (i.e., undertow). Sad story this one is.
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:29   #320
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
You're right, that is sad. You sound like you need a human companion.
I've got a wife , 27 years and best friend , a loving son
that I am very proud of and surounded by great neighbors
and my DOG !
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:32   #321
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,539
Before you wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
If that value system weren't there, he wouldn't have gone in. I have evidence based on an actualy occurance. You and he have...?
And stuck your literary foot in your mouth, did you bother to read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgriggs View Post


Well actually that's not at all what it says.

It says, and I quote from the AP story found at:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26...g-to-save-dog/

". . .Jones said the boy went after the dog, prompting his father to go after them. She said the teenager was able to get out, but when he didn't see his father, he and his mother went into the water looking for him."

You see that part where it says "the teenager was able to get out"? well thats the part I was referencing when I said he gave up and came out of the water.

You see that part where it says "prompting his dad to go in after him" well that's the part that prompted me to say the dad went in after him.

You see the part where it says "he and his mother went into the water looking for him." Well that's the part that prompted me to say they; the mother and son, went in looking for the father.

Did the entire family die? Yes they did. However, they died trying to save each other, not the dog. The only person, according to the story that ever tried to save the dog gave up on it and returned to shore, thus ending operation doggie paddle. After that, every person to enter the water went in after another person. Again, according to the story.

So the real question is; would you enter 8' to 10' surf to save your child? your wife? your husband? Because that is what this story is about.

Reading comprehension is a powerful tool and will open a whole new world.
I was just wunderin........Not that you would ever ignore evidence contrary to your hallowed opinion..... or sumthin like that
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Last edited by Lone Wolf8634; 12-03-2012 at 18:33..
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:33   #322
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,093


Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I've got a wife , 27 years and best friend , a loving son
that I am very proud of and surounded by great neighbors
and my DOG !
You're arguing with someone whose human companion requires inflation... HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.

Last edited by HollowHead; 12-03-2012 at 19:43..
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:37   #323
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
Not simple at all. You are assuming all sociopaths have a special monikor about their heads that declare what they are with a flashing beacon. I wish that was the case, it would make society a safer place.


Lets make this a bit simpler for ya.

Would you let your dog, cat, parakeet or favorite gerbil die because you chose to save a known pedophile, serial killer, rapist or Atheist instead of your beloved pet?
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:59   #324
Kilrain
Señor Member
 
Kilrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: On the road to Shambala
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf8634 View Post
Lets make this a bit simpler for ya.

Would you let your dog, cat, parakeet or favorite gerbil die because you chose to save a known pedophile, serial killer, rapist or Atheist instead of your beloved pet?
He won't answer because his critical thinking skills are non-existent and his position is untenable.

Fun to watch him squirm around though.........
__________________
For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

- Sterling Archer
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 19:05   #325
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope
 
Lone Wolf8634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Under the bus
Posts: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
He won't answer because his critical thinking skills are non-existent and his position is untenable.

Fun to watch him squirm around though.........
Oh he don't squirm.

He'll just keep insisting he's right till every one:

A. loses interest

or

B. The thread gets locked.
__________________
"Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self esteem, be sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by A-holes." - William Gibson

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:21.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 883
242 Members
641 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42