Or vote Democrat
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 19:55   #182
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/26...g-to-save-dog/

Ironically, the only survivor was the dog. When people overly anthropomorphize animals into pseudo-humans, this sort of thing happens. No dog is worth the death of an entire family.
Wow.

No, I would not equate my dogs to my children, but my dogs are my friends. They have proven that they will jeopardize themselves for me and the kids already. They are my friends, and I am theirs.

I would not risk the death of one of my kids to save one of my dogs, but I might seriously consider serious injury to myself to save them if I thought I had a decent chance of getting away with it. I'd choose their lives over that of a human home invader in a heartbeat. In that, the lives of my dogs are worth more than some human lives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 20:00   #183
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Wow.

No, I would not equate my dogs to my children, but my dogs are my friends. They have proven that they will jeopardize themselves for me and the kids already. They are my friends, and I am theirs.

I would not risk the death of one of my kids to save one of my dogs, but I might seriously consider serious injury to myself to save them if I thought I had a decent chance of getting away with it. I'd choose their lives over that of a human home invader in a heartbeat. In that, the lives of my dogs are worth more than some human lives.

I think the OP was trying to say that, when the family realized one of them had gone in after the dog, they should have said "Oh well, if the kid is that dumb the gene pool is better off", and not tried to save him.

Last edited by countrygun; 11-28-2012 at 20:10..
Old 11-28-2012, 20:00   #184
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Wow.

Stop being reasonable and taking a rational approach to assigning value to things, that just won't do according to the OP and a select few folks who spent one too many weekends in the basement pulling the wings off of flys.....(you know who you are md2lgyk)......

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 20:08   #185
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
I would not risk the death of one of my kids to save one of my dogs, but I might seriously consider serious injury to myself to save them if I thought I had a decent chance of getting away with it.
I see where you're coming from...and that sounds pretty reasonable.

If you have any children, they would likely disagree with that though, simply because they care for you more than any dog.

I have 4 Catahoula Leopard dogs that I use to hunt hogs, all of which are approaching 10 years old now. I love them to death, my kids love them to death, and they'd die for me in the woods (a couple almost have). However, my kids want and need me here more than they need those dogs, so if there's even a chance my life would be at risk or I might end up a cripple trying to save one of them...it's just not happening.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 20:15   #186
TeeJay37

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
According to this site and their interpretation,

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/gun...a-Gun-Laws.htm

"Louisiana’s castle law permits the use of physical force to protect one’s self and property from “forcible crimes” and the use of deadly force in situations where circumstances are sufficient “to excite the fear of a reasonable person that there would be serious danger to his own life or person if he attempted to prevent the felony without the killing.” The statute has a “stand your ground” clause in that it does not require victims to retreat before using force, whether they’re inside their home or any other place they have a right to be."
Okay, that makes since. Thanks. I suppose if someone is nuts enough come and shoot my dog while I'm throwing the ball with him, heat just be nuts enough to do the same toe, so I suppose that would cause a reasonable man to fear for his life.
TeeJay37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 20:24   #187
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay37 View Post
Okay, that makes since. Thanks. I suppose if someone is nuts enough come and shoot my dog while I'm throwing the ball with him, heat just be nuts enough to do the same toe, so I suppose that would cause a reasonable man to fear for his life.
Well, if he's opened fire on your dog in close proximity to you, the dog means nothing at that point...you can shoot him in self-defense of yourself because he's clearly nuts.

It's been stated several times that LA self-defense laws are the best in the country. Lethal force is authorized anytime to prevent a "forcible felony". That means against you, or even to protect someone else. Many people who don't know what a forcible felony is have asked me what that means.

The way I explain it to them is: If the person you're seeing would be justified in using a firearm to defend themselves at that moment, you are authorized to use your firearm on their behalf to save their life.

Last edited by tantrix; 11-28-2012 at 20:25..
Old 11-28-2012, 20:30   #188
countrygun

Quote:
Y'all have comprehension issues doncha?

You need to find someone who can spell out your State's laws for you.

If you had an incorrect idea about when you COULDN'T use deadly force (and a stranger on the internet had to correct you) then it is reasonable to assume your idea of when you CAN use deadly force might be equally as flawed.

that's what some folks call "a bad thing".
Old 11-28-2012, 20:30   #189
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
What does my being a carnivore have to do with my pets?

Do you eat your pets on a regular basis?

My pets give me comfort and entertainment. My pets don't vote for Democrats or Republicans. My pets don't go and rape & kill others because of religious beliefs.
I had a daschund that would rape any stuffed animal he could get his paws on.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 11-28-2012 at 20:32..
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 20:41   #190
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
Well, if he's opened fire on your dog in close proximity to you, the dog means nothing at that point...you can shoot him in self-defense of yourself because he's clearly nuts.

It's been stated several times that LA self-defense laws are the best in the country. Lethal force is authorized anytime to prevent a "forcible felony". That means against you, or even to protect someone else. Many people who don't know what a forcible felony is have asked me what that means.

The way I explain it to them is: If the person you're seeing would be justified in using a firearm to defend themselves at that moment, you are authorized to use your firearm on their behalf to save their life.
I was wondering about the way the Statute was written because it seems to imply that you can use force to prevent an assault against yourself or property and Deadly force against a felonious attempt at same sooo,

If the "other party uses, or threatens to use force in the comission of an assault against you or your property that would raise the level of their actions TO a felony, ergo deadly force would be justified.
Old 11-28-2012, 20:44   #191
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude

I think it'd be accurate to say that anyone as cold as the op has a problem understanding the concept of unconditional love. Essentially, their senses of awareness need to be augmented a bit before they can feel that sort of love, since their sense of love is limited to other humans.

Sent from the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer
BicycleDay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 20:57   #192
TeeJay37

Quote:
Y'all have comprehension issues doncha?

You need to find someone who can spell out your State's laws for you.

If you had an incorrect idea about when you COULDN'T use deadly force (and a stranger on the internet had to correct you) then it is reasonable to assume your idea of when you CAN use deadly force might be equally as flawed.

that's what some folks call "a bad thing".
Well, seeing as how my info was based on my CHP instructor saying "You can't shoot someone that shot your dog", I'd say that my first statement was pretty accurate, but your quote made since. I'm definitely not going to take some stranger on the internet's comment as stone cold legal fact. Of course I'll look into it myself. And who are "y'all"? I'm one man.
Old 11-28-2012, 21:02   #193
TeeJay37

Quote:

That's almost the exact quote.

http://legis.state.la.us/lss/newwin.asp?doc=78358
Old 11-28-2012, 21:05   #194
countrygun

Quote:
Well, seeing as how my info was based on my CHP instructor saying "You can't shoot someone that shot your dog", I'd say that my first statement was pretty accurate, but your quote made since. I'm definitely not going to take some stranger on the internet's comment as stone cold legal fact. Of course I'll look into it myself. And who are "y'all"? I'm one man.
I have a heck of a feeling that the instructor was saying "you can't shoot someone because they shot your dog".

That is, of course, a different issue.
Old 11-28-2012, 21:14   #195
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I see where you're coming from...and that sounds pretty reasonable.

If you have any children, they would likely disagree with that though, simply because they care for you more than any dog.

I have 4 Catahoula Leopard dogs that I use to hunt hogs, all of which are approaching 10 years old now. I love them to death, my kids love them to death, and they'd die for me in the woods (a couple almost have). However, my kids want and need me here more than they need those dogs, so if there's even a chance my life would be at risk or I might end up a cripple trying to save one of them...it's just not happening.
I have a pointer and a mut that looks like a miniature german shepherd, but with a meaner attitude.

I've killed well over 200 feral hogs over the last 3 years. Trapping, in fields, and at feeders. We don't use the dogs, they are better suited for birds.

If I thought I could get away with it, I'd still take a reasonable risk. I've risked a lot more for people I didn't know in the past. I guess it's all relative, and about personal choices.

Hard to be certain without being put in that position.

--Gunhaver

Old 11-28-2012, 21:15   #196
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I have a heck of a feeling that the instructor was saying "you can't shoot someone because they shot your dog".

You can use deadly force in the protection of tangible property here in Texas, against theft OR damage.

just sayin'

--Gunhaver

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 11-28-2012 at 21:16..
Old 11-28-2012, 21:19   #197
countrygun

Quote:
You can use deadly force in the protection of tangible property here in Texas, against theft OR damage.

just sayin'
But if you come home and find that your neighbor shot your dog you cannot go to the neighbor's house and shoot him.

Of coourse you are talking about Texas so I may be on shakey ground

just sayin

Last edited by countrygun; 11-28-2012 at 21:33..
Old 11-28-2012, 21:30   #198
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:

Well, of course...they would have to be in the process of shooting your dog, and it would also have to be on your property though as LA has leash laws. If your dog is in somebody elses yard outside city limits, it's fair game and you can't do much about it.

Last edited by tantrix; 11-28-2012 at 21:32..
Old 11-28-2012, 21:34   #199
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
But if you come home and find that your neighbor shot your dog you cannot go to the neighbor's house and shoot him.

Of coourse you are talking about Txas so I may be on shaky ground

just sayin

Kinda depends on how that conversation goes when you "talk" to him about it.

I would make it my personal mission in life to ensure that someone that hurts one of my dogs like that lives a long and miserable life. I have enough assets to keep him in and out of court for years.

--Gunhaver

Old 11-29-2012, 02:25   #200
Critias
CLM Number 236
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyedgrunt View Post
This deserves a repost. Crit, it's good to see you in the lounge again, it's been a while. And with threads like this, it's no wonder you've been absent.

It's appreciated, Grunt, and nice to be back. And threads like this is just the internet bein' the internet, nothing to take too personally or log off over. My absence has been more to do with that annoying "real life" stuff keeping me busy (grad school and being a professor and a freelance writer all take a lot of work, who knew?!).

The worst part of all this in my opinion, the ugliest bits of the nonchalance and utter lack of empathy or sympathy being spewed by the OP, is his avatar and sig-lines.
"It seems that the least we owe the hero is that we remember him. Without remembrance, without honor, we cannot expect to have such men when we need them. Without an awareness of what has been done, we do not realize what can be done, nor are we inspired to do that which should be done. "
--Paul Kirchner
Critias is offline   Reply With Quote