Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-26-2012, 13:19   #1
Kelo6

CG Reserves

First, let me thank you for all of the wisdom you have given me on this forum. I have been lurking and reading excellent opinions and advice over the past couple of years here, so thank you to all who have contributed.

Now to my question:

Anybody here have experience or knowledge of Coast Guard Reserves?

I have been a Cadet/Explorer with a local SO for two years now. My 21st birthday is around the corner so I am about to get the boot

My plan was to go reserve with my current SO or another local agency (no real interest in doing LE full time. Not the job for me, but I do enjoy getting out and doing what I can when I can), but nobody seems to be taking them right now.

I have a friend of mine who is joining CG reserves with a Maritime Enforcement (ME) unit, which from what I can tell is their LE branch, which would be really interesting for me.

I think it could be a good opportunity to learn a lot, put in some military service, get some great training and experience, and get some pay to boot.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again, and stay safe!
Kelo6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 13:40   #2
blueiron
Clown move, bro

I haven't had direct experience with the CG in decades, but they are not easy to get into. Since they are not part of the DoD, but part of the DHS, they have an unusual dual role mission and they are particular about who they take. It can take quite a while to ship out for training.

Were I you, I'd go interview the recruiter and take a list of questions for him/her.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 13:53   #3
GRIMLET
Deceased

My best friends son has been trying to go full time USCG for almost a year. His asvab was good and went to meps. They had no jobs available after all that. He had two recruiters forget about him and another drag his feet. He is now going USAF. The reserves may be different.
The guys who do port security get deployed often. Its not so much like the LE guys who patrol and do boardings.
The ps guys use different boats and have a different mission.
At least they get to wear a military uniform and not the Smurf Suits.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 17:13   #4
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
I'll second how hard it is to get into. I have 7 years ARNG, and federal corrections experience. When I was coming up on my first ETS with the National Guard, I was looking at switching branches to the CG Reserves. I couldn't even get a recruiter to email me back to set up an appointment to talk. When I was in high school, the recruiters were VERY hard to get to talk to, and were frankly, pretty rude. It may have just been a local thing, but I don't know. Btw, this was with a high-90's ASVAB score.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 23:24   #5
CGMK

I was a MK in the CG, got out before the whole ME rating came out. I have a lot of friends who were other rates and transferred into the ME rating and hate it. Your situation depends on the area where you will drill from. If your in say, Eureka, CA. and want to go ME, you will have to drive 6 or so hours down to the Bay Area to drill from a unit that has positions that reserve ME types fill. BM and MK types run the CG and have the best picks of duty areas. Most BM and MK types are also boarding officers or boarding team members, so don't be discount the fact that you can pretty much do whatever you (LE, coxswain, small arms instructor, etc.) want if you are motivated and have command backing. LE is a collateral duty that anybody who is qualified/motivated can do. At my last unit, we had a storekeeper/support guy go to EMT school and become boarding team qualified on top of his regular duties.

My little brother is trying to get on active duty right now. He's a model student, never had any contact with the police, no dependents, no alcohol abuse/drug use... And he was told to check back in 6 months. Right now recruiting is only dealing with less than 8% of applicants and processing around half of that. So around 4 out of 100 people will make the cut. A good indicator of how little movement there is can be found if you search the A-School waiting lists. Some A-Schools (job training) have a projected wait time of 36 months from the time you get on the list. The economy blows balls and too many Coasties know others who have gotten out and cannot find work, or have gone to a police academy worked as a cop for three years and then got laid off (like me).

I should have stayed in. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.
CGMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 00:45   #6
collim1
Shower Time!

Two of my co-workers are in the auxillary and really enjoy it. With our work environment as bad as it is lately they have considered going full time. Like said above its a great gig, but not easy to get into.

My father retired from the Coast Guard, but it was a whole different ball game back then.

If you have the means to have a roof over your head for a while without committing to another job I'd wait it out a while and see if I could get on.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07   #7
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i recommend the USCG to anybody.....wish i stayed in.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:30   #8
md2lgyk

You do understand that you must be at least six feet tall for the CG? That's so if your ship sinks, you can wade ashore.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:59   #9
Kelo6

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
You do understand that you must be at least six feet tall for the CG? That's so if your ship sinks, you can wade ashore.

Thank you for all of the replies, folks. Much appreciated.

Grimlet, a friend of mine was just notified that he got on with a PS reserve unit outta WA. He's really excited for the opportunity.

Quite frankly, the PS units sound pretty HSLD as far as the training is concerned. They get to learn just about everything.
Old 11-27-2012, 13:33   #10
GRIMLET
Deceased

Good for him!!!
Those guys better be HSLD. Their rules of engagement are very few in a foreign port setting, I'm sure.

We had a Navy homeport in my area some years ago. I always blipped my blue lights and approached at idle speed. The Navy guys didn't play much.
Especially since the USS Cole was on dry dock right across the channel being repaired. It was a real, constant reminder.

Old 11-27-2012, 20:03   #11
toddmog

You can move to KS and join our SO Reserve Unit. We are currently down by 6-7 people. We are having a hard time finding quality applicants.
toddmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 20:35   #12
kpuscg04
ACTA NON VERBA

I'm a LT in the CG Reserve. A couple of things to think on.

1) As has already been stated the USCG is very difficult to get into right now, the reserve component is a little better depending on your area. You need to talk to a recruiter to get the best info on the current recruiting situation.

2) The USCG is very small and the USCGR is smaller. You may be able to drill in your hometown for your first unit, and you might be able to stay there for 5 or 6 years. After that you will be transferred and it may be anywhere in the country. The higher you advance in rank the more likely it is you will be travelling for drill. Travel to weekend drills in the USCG is on your own dime.

3) Although the USCG has LE authorities, it is a military service. You are in the military. They will tell you when you drill and where you drill. Understand that before you join.

4) LE is just a small part of what the Coast Guard does. Just because you are an ME does not mean you will be at a PSU or MSST and it does not mean you will be doing boardings during your drills.

5) Lastly, the reserves is the Coast Guard's 911 group. When something happens and the CG needs people, you get recalled. Hurricanes, Floods, oil spills, security surge ops, etc... Very few of your years will actually consist of just one weekend a month and two weeks a year.
kpuscg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 21:30   #13
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

coast guard budget sucks right now, there not really into taking on new people, there trying to get rid of people even, in this economy nobody wants to get out anymore
Old 11-27-2012, 23:44   #14
Kelo6

Thank you all for the input! You have given me a lot to consider.

And many thanks to those contributors who have served/are serving. You have my gratitude.
Old 11-28-2012, 00:23   #15
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelo6 View Post
Thank you all for the input! You have given me a lot to consider.

And many thanks to those contributors who have served/are serving. You have my gratitude.

Thank you for inquiry. It is your day to step up and do your duty to the country you call home. It is your time to stand up to make a difference. It is your time to carry the torch. We have done our part and are getting older. It is you to carry on the tradition and breathe new life into our military.

Will you.....
Can you.....
Wont you,.. If not for yourself, for your country.

Old 11-28-2012, 00:31   #16
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpuscg04 View Post
I'm a LT in the CG Reserve. A couple of things to think on.

1) As has already been stated the USCG is very difficult to get into right now, the reserve component is a little better depending on your area. You need to talk to a recruiter to get the best info on the current recruiting situation.

2) The USCG is very small and the USCGR is smaller. You may be able to drill in your hometown for your first unit, and you might be able to stay there for 5 or 6 years. After that you will be transferred and it may be anywhere in the country. The higher you advance in rank the more likely it is you will be travelling for drill. Travel to weekend drills in the USCG is on your own dime.

3) Although the USCG has LE authorities, it is a military service. You are in the military. They will tell you when you drill and where you drill. Understand that before you join.

4) LE is just a small part of what the Coast Guard does. Just because you are an ME does not mean you will be at a PSU or MSST and it does not mean you will be doing boardings during your drills.

5) Lastly, the reserves is the Coast Guard's 911 group. When something happens and the CG needs people, you get recalled. Hurricanes, Floods, oil spills, security surge ops, etc... Very few of your years will actually consist of just one weekend a month and two weeks a year.
KP...

I know you are the guy to ask.

Ever since my 1811 hopes have been ripped away from me I have been really considering becoming a reserve.

Particularly for this position.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-you...vestigator-(iv)

I understand I would have to be accepted into the DEPOT program. I also understand it is competitive.

I have sixty college credits and 8.5 years of full time civilian police officer experience. I live in Colorado as you know.

Is this possible to do and remain in Colorado? Is this a typically deployed position? Would I drill in Colorado Springs?

I've always wanted to serve in the military and this seems like a good fit.

Thanks for any info.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54   #17
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

a guy who was at my unit became an investigator, took him forever, and hes an investigator for the marshalls full time.
Old 11-28-2012, 19:40   #18
kpuscg04
ACTA NON VERBA

Cochese,

From what I know of you and your background you should easily qualify for the DEPOT program. The problem you will face is the same problem you have with 1811. Lots of qualified people, not enough jobs.

Do you have any detective experience or criminal investigations experience? That helps a lot in qualifying for the IV positions. I don't think it is a requirement, but I know it helps.

I am not aware of any IV positions in Colorado. There might be one or two at NORTHCOM, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure your closest IV jobs are in St. Louis (you could drill with me ).

The CGIS IV positions are kind of the exception to the rule when it comes to enlisting in the CG. If you are interested I would find your local recruiter and contact the closest CGIS office. The CGIS offices seem to have more influence over whom is assigned to them.
kpuscg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39   #19
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpuscg04 View Post
Cochese,

From what I know of you and your background you should easily qualify for the DEPOT program. The problem you will face is the same problem you have with 1811. Lots of qualified people, not enough jobs.

Do you have any detective experience or criminal investigations experience? That helps a lot in qualifying for the IV positions. I don't think it is a requirement, but I know it helps.

I am not aware of any IV positions in Colorado. There might be one or two at NORTHCOM, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure your closest IV jobs are in St. Louis (you could drill with me ).

The CGIS IV positions are kind of the exception to the rule when it comes to enlisting in the CG. If you are interested I would find your local recruiter and contact the closest CGIS office. The CGIS offices seem to have more influence over whom is assigned to them.
I've been doing a LOT of reading and this all seems to be solid.

I have experience working in street crimes and conducting investigations outside the scope of patrol (plainclothes etc.) but haven't had the ASSIGNMENT or TITLE of Detective or Investigator.

You go to St. Louis every weekend from Iowa?

How does one apply to the DEPOT program? Would I enlist and THEN apply or could I enlist with the prearrangement of DEPT to come in as a NCO?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41   #20
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Damn that is an 850 mile one way drive.