GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 07:02   #1
MELE20C
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 122
DNA proof of bigfoot? what say the naysayers?

Scientists have made some interesting claims from a DNA study. See the study results here:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/11/prweb10166775.htm

and how some of the DNA was obtained here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=W6vy8px8_1Y

Bet the G20 and G29 10mm with Buffalo Bore ammo gets a boost after this gets more exposure!
MELE20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43   #2
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,496
In other words:

Melba Ketchum announces Bigfoot DNA results. Without the data.

Quote:
We don’t know who the team of scientists is. Melba has been silent. The collected data is suspect, the analysis is suspect, the conclusions are suspect. EVERYTHING is suspect because there is no data for anyone else to examine, the procedure and results have not yet been published and there is NO OTHER reliable physical evidence, traces or history of such an indigenous people.

To make such an extraordinary claim is to put yourself out on such a long, unstable limb! It is not how science is done, it’s how pseudoscience is done.
An interesting observation: Finding "unknown" DNA and assuming that proves something about bigfoot, even if it really is unknown DNA, is similar to seeing an "unidentified" flying object and assuming that means something about visitors from other planets. In short: it's stupid.
__________________
If you are not an NRA member, you are not involved in gun rights, so sit down and shut the +%@# up.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:52   #3
el_jewapo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
An interesting observation: Finding "unknown" DNA and assuming that proves something about bigfoot, even if it really is unknown DNA, is similar to seeing an "unidentified" flying object and assuming that means something about visitors from other planets. In short: it's stupid.
Well, if the DNA came from hair samples, that's what we're dealing with. You say that like this DNA just sprouted up in a test tube. They say it came from hair, that's the interesting thing, DNA testing just confirms the authenticity of the hair.

I admit, I just started watching the Youtube video in the original post and haven't read the article. Just enough to know the DNA samples came from hair, not just DNA smeared on a log or something.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59   #4
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jewapo View Post
Well, if the DNA came from hair samples, that's what we're dealing with. You say that like this DNA just sprouted up in a test tube. They say it came from hair, that's the interesting thing, DNA testing just confirms the authenticity of the hair.

I admit, I just started watching the Youtube video in the original post and haven't read the article. Just enough to know the DNA samples came from hair, not just DNA smeared on a log or something.
Do you actually not realize tha's the same thing? A hair sample? hair of what? There is no step that leads to that being "bigfoot."
__________________
If you are not an NRA member, you are not involved in gun rights, so sit down and shut the +%@# up.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:02   #5
Johnspark
Grumpy Fish
 
Johnspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 3,234
Naysayer still says Nay...Nay...Nay...
__________________
101st Airborne
Johnspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:09   #6
mac66
Plant the seed
 
mac66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Save America
Posts: 7,667
We can find evidence of extinct plants and animals, even microbes millions of years old but can't find one piece of real evidence of an animal that exists today? What's that tell ya?
__________________
Revolutionary War Veterans Association presents Project Appleseed-Marksmanship and History www.appleseedinfo.org
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:11   #7
el_jewapo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Do you actually not realize tha's the same thing? A hair sample? hair of what? There is no step that leads to that being "bigfoot."
Hair of some unknown animal. If you believe the article, a human hybrid of some sort.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17   #8
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspark View Post
Naysayer still says Nay...Nay...Nay...
No, they don't.

They say "show us some evidence."

Until then...
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21   #9
Tango 1Zero
Senior Member
 
Tango 1Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: OH
Posts: 853
I watched that youtube video. The videos dont show anything just blurred wanna be images. Honestly cant see anything hes trying to point out in his pictures.
__________________
Gun Owners of America Life Member
Tango 1Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48   #10
devildog2067
Senior Member
 
devildog2067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 15,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jewapo View Post
Well, if the DNA came from hair samples, that's what we're dealing with. You say that like this DNA just sprouted up in a test tube. They say it came from hair, that's the interesting thing, DNA testing just confirms the authenticity of the hair.
That's not how DNA testing works.

One can't "confirm" the authenticity of a hair sample using DNA testing, when attempting to "confirm" that the hair came from a previously unknown species. DNA testing allows you to match a sample of hair to a known species. You can't just "read" DNA and draw very many conclusions about where it came from.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jewapo View Post
Hair of some unknown animal. If you believe the article, a human hybrid of some sort.
And, assuming that is correct (very unlikely given the history and actions of the researcher) it means exactly what you said. It doesn't tell us if that hybrid is "bigfoot" or looks like a squirrel monkey.
__________________
If you are not an NRA member, you are not involved in gun rights, so sit down and shut the +%@# up.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55   #12
GreenDrake
Rip Lips
 
GreenDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,643
Where are all the Bigfoot skeletons?
__________________
"Can you FLY, Bobby?"
P229 EDC
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59   #13
Al Czervik
My arm!
 
Al Czervik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bushwood
Posts: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
Where are all the Bigfoot skeletons?

I have a cargo container full of'em. For $1000, I'll show you. For one miiiiilion dollars, I'll sell a bone.




Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01   #14
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man
 
Cali-Glock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California Sierra Mnts
Posts: 11,771
Hair, scat, and teeth have been found... So why then have not definitive DNA results been released?

Because (I asume) each time the DNA results come back as some known species.
__________________
1 Corinthians 2:2
I may be from Cali, but I ain't no yankee!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08   #15
el_jewapo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
That's not how DNA testing works.

One can't "confirm" the authenticity of a hair sample using DNA testing, when attempting to "confirm" that the hair came from a previously unknown species. DNA testing allows you to match a sample of hair to a known species. You can't just "read" DNA and draw very many conclusions about where it came from.
Yeah I wasn't trying to suggest they can look at the DNA and say "that's a bigfoot". But they can tell it's real hair and not from a known species from DNA testing.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08   #16
el_jewapo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
And, assuming that is correct (very unlikely given the history and actions of the researcher) it means exactly what you said. It doesn't tell us if that hybrid is "bigfoot" or looks like a squirrel monkey.
Fair enough. It's probably another hoax of a story anyway.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:26   #17
czsmithGT
Senior Member
 
czsmithGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
No, they don't.

They say "show us some evidence."

Until then...
Jeezy how much evidence do you skeptics need. The Truth Is Out There

The Okie Corral
czsmithGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:46   #18
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
Hair, scat, and teeth have been found... So why then have not definitive DNA results been released?

Because (I asume) each time the DNA results come back as some known species.
You are correct, according to 100% of what I have seen.
__________________
If you are not an NRA member, you are not involved in gun rights, so sit down and shut the +%@# up.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48   #19
Carrys
Inquisitive
 
Carrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Green Country
Posts: 13,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
You can't just "read" DNA and draw very many conclusions about where it came from.
I suppose when one wants something to be true enough.....anything can be true in their mind.

Anything.
__________________
If Men Won't Even Obey Their Govt.......What Makes Anyone Believe They Will Obey Their God?

Men Seem To Think Their God Is Like Their Govt.......He Is Supposed To Give Them Things, Not Ask Anything Of them.
Carrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05   #20
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 20,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
Jeezy how much evidence do you skeptics need. The Truth Is Out There

The Okie Corral
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11   #21
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N.W. Lower Michigan
Posts: 3,276
No amount of reason or logic will change the believers' minds. Reminds me of another subject.
__________________
Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27   #22
Foxtrotx1
Senior Member
 
Foxtrotx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 4,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
Where are all the Bigfoot skeletons?
Other big foots hide the bones duh!
__________________
Tin Foil Free Zone.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31   #23
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley
 
tsmo1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,263


So a somewhat sketchy "researcher" posts results of an alleged DNA test, but won't offer forth the data itself or any of the actual samples to allow for independent verification and testing, and we're all supposed to herald this as "proof" that Bigfoot exists?

Kinda reminds me of the two guys a few years back who claimed to have an actual Bigfoot corpse in an ice chest.

__________________
Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by tsmo1066; 11-25-2012 at 11:31..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32   #24
Resqu2
Senior Member
 
Resqu2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SouthWest VA
Posts: 4,464
Someone explain DNA to me please, I though you had to have something to compair it to? The DNA machine just isn't gonna print out Bigfoot even if the sample is really from a Bigfoot.
Resqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32   #25
Johnspark
Grumpy Fish
 
Johnspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
No, they don't.

They say "show us some evidence."

Until then...
I was speaking only for myself.
__________________
101st Airborne
Johnspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 858
276 Members
582 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42