Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2014, 20:14   #1
FourthPointOfContact

Four Hour "Voluntary Encounter" alleged

If you don't want to talk, be sure to express that when you're invited to a 'consensual encounter'.

AMC movie theater calls “federal agents” to arrest a Google Glass user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGadgeteer.com
A long time Gadgeteer reader contacted me today through Google Hangouts to tell me that he had a story that he thought I’d be interested in reading. He then forwarded me a long email with a story from a very good friend of his. It was such a surprising story that I asked if I could have permission to post it here on The Gadgeteer. I ended up communicating with the author of the story and have posted it here for everyone to read…
Feds Interrogate Man Wearing Google Glass in Movie Theater
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaBeat.com
...About an hour into the movie, he says some federal agents yanked the Glass off the man’s face, pulled the pair out of the theater and took them to separate interrogation rooms.

The man, who’d just been trying to enjoy a crappy movie with his lovely wife on a Saturday night, says he was accused of illegally taping the movie and questioned extensively about “who I am, where I live, where I work, how much I’m making, how many computers I have at home, why am I recording the movie, who am I going to give the recording to, why don’t I just give up the guy up the chain, ’cause they are not interested in me. Over and over and over again.”
This Google Glass user went to the movies. Then he got interrogated for about four hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Washington Post
Days after a California driver escaped a traffic conviction over wearing Google Glass behind the wheel, the search company's augmented-reality device is once again testing the law. On Saturday, an Ohio man was detained for several hours by federal agents who suspected him of recording "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" in his local movie theater using Glass's video function.
The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency's spokesperson maintains that Ungureanu was never detained during the four hour encounter and would have been free to go at any time had he chosen to do so.

No video was found on his 'Glass or on his phone.

Last edited by FourthPointOfContact; 01-21-2014 at 20:19..
FourthPointOfContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 20:17   #2
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

I think he deserved to be roughed up just because anybody who wears those stupid things looks like a moron.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 22:02   #3
Ohio Copper

A friend of a friend of a friend....through email...

Survey says?

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 22:04   #4
Ohio Copper

And what federal agency?

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:43   #5
walt cowan

"i have nothing to say."
Old 01-22-2014, 15:12   #6
FourthPointOfContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
A friend of a friend of a friend....through email...
Survey says?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
And what federal agency
I don't want to accuse anyone of a lack of reading skills, so I'll just politely point to the original post where, at the bottom it says - -
The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency's spokesperson maintains that Ungureanu was never detained during the four hour encounter and would have been free to go at any time had he chosen to do so.
Old 01-22-2014, 15:16   #7
FourthPointOfContact

A spokesman for the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (the specific department of Homeland Security that were called in) told the Washington Post that "On Jan. 18, special agents with ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations and local authorities briefly interviewed a man suspected of using an electronic recording device to record a film at an AMC theater in Columbus.

"The man, who voluntarily answered questions, confirmed to authorities that the suspected recording device was also a pair of prescription eye glasses in which the recording function had been inactive. No further action was taken."

Last edited by FourthPointOfContact; 01-22-2014 at 15:19..
FourthPointOfContact is offline   Reply With Quote