SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:31   #1
plouffedaddy

LE turn in 870Ps are back in stock for $269

link

Just passing this along because a lot of people kicked themselves last time they had these...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 13:02   #2
aippi

Let the buyer beware. If you can see one of these and go through it then this is a deal. However, Departmental weapons are some of the most abused firearms out there. Add the fact that at trade in time the Department Armorer goes through them and picks the worst ones to trade in. He may also canablize parts and put parts in that he can't use. I have seen and know of nightmares that guys ended up with by thinking that these weapons were anything different then abused 870's.

With the above stated, I also can tell you that many Department trade in's look like pure S**T on the outside but are like new inside and have seen very little use. If the Armorer did not switch out parts then many of these are like new weapons inside. The key is the place you buy it. If that seller will stand by the sale then you are good to go. Just be ready to deal with the issues that come with buying anything new and sight unseen. These can very well be a great deal. Also note the Waffle pad on these indicte this are older guns and many may have a 20" barrel. Cetainly not a deal breaker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 19:21   #3
XDfense

They're out of stock BTW. Too bad, I considered getting one. Love the furniture.
XDfense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 20:10   #4
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Let the buyer beware. If you can see one of these and go through it then this is a deal. However, Departmental weapons are some of the most abused firearms out there. Add the fact that at trade in time the Department Armorer goes through them and picks the worst ones to trade in. He may also canablize parts and put parts in that he can't use. I have seen and know of nightmares that guys ended up with by thinking that these weapons were anything different then abused 870's.

With the above stated, I also can tell you that many Department trade in's look like pure S**T on the outside but are like new inside and have seen very little use. If the Armorer did not switch out parts then many of these are like new weapons inside. The key is the place you buy it. If that seller will stand by the sale then you are good to go. Just be ready to deal with the issues that come with buying anything new and sight unseen. These can very well be a great deal. Also note the Waffle pad on these indicte this are older guns and many may have a 20" barrel. Cetainly not a deal breaker.
100% agreed. I've bought 2 used police models from them and both were beat up on the outside but looked like they didn't have 100 rounds through them on the inside. I'm sure these are from a different dept. than the others but I figure it's worth a shot for $270...

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 11-24-2012, 21:06   #5
Mochahooligan

I can agree to a point but the 870 Police Mag I bought was beat up on the outside but the inside was barely worn. Guess its the luck of the draw!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34   #6
burttrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
link

Just passing this along because a lot of people kicked themselves last time they had these...
I don't see them listed when I go to the site???
burttrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 14:29   #7
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by burttrans View Post
I don't see them listed when I go to the site???
They usually take the dept turn in guns down after they're sold out for a few days. Mine should be in tomorrow.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 11-30-2012, 16:20   #8
plouffedaddy

Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns

It showed up today. 20'' barrel, chrome bolt, and walnut wood.

A couple questions...

1. Does anyone make a blued 3 shot extension?
2. Best way to get that rust out without jacking up the bluing?

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 11-30-2012, 19:54   #9
aippi

Remington makes a three shot for that weapon. It will end 1/2" past the barrel.

Not sure about the bluing because to blue a weapon the metal has to be polished. If you sand to remove the rust and polish the area and cold blue it, those areas will show differently. May not show that much and only up close. However, they will be protected and that is the main issue.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 21:49   #10
plouffedaddy

Thanks. I'm not all that experienced with blued firearms either. Did a little more research and have since taken a copper brush to it which got about 90% of the rust off. Debating which direction I want to take this gun now...

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 11-30-2012, 23:10   #11
r3dot

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not all that experienced with blued firearms either. Did a little more research and have since taken a copper brush to it which got about 90% of the rust off. Debating which direction I want to take this gun now...
I say leave it as is. That's a great gun.
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46   #12
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:

A couple questions...

1. Does anyone make a blued 3 shot extension?
2. Best way to get that rust out without jacking up the bluing?
I've used CLP and #0000 steel wool to remove some LIGHT rust on firearms, in the past.

TEST in an out-of-the-way spot, before going after the entire scattergun. (Rub lightly.)

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 12-01-2012 at 07:48..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:53   #13
unit 900

Pennsylvania State Police recently upgraded their shotgun. I purchased an old one as they were exactly the same as the Remington 870's I used in the Baltimore PD. 870 blued Wingmaster, 20" bbl and rifle sights. In my experience, based on 3 departments I know, shotguns in the car stay there. When we qualified, we used shotguns assigned to the Range. I don't recall ever firing the shotgun that rode in my trunk. I'm not saying that's a good thing. I am saying that's why many police turn-ins can be a very nice deal. I was able to pick the one I bought, but most were somewhat worn externally, but certainly not shot a bunch.
Old 12-02-2012, 21:10   #14
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dot View Post
I say leave it as is. That's a great gun.
You must not read many of my posts I kid... I may leave it; it certainly is a good looking gun.

I shot it a ton today and it is a great shooter; 0 issues what so ever.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 02-25-2013, 14:33   #15
ReloadN4Glock

I would love to get my hands on one of the older ones. And then when funds allow maybe send it off to Wilson Combat for some work.
ReloadN4Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:30   #16
moeman

Quote:
100% agreed. I've bought 2 used police models from them and both were beat up on the outside but looked like they didn't have 100 rounds through them on the inside. I'm sure these are from a different dept. than the others but I figure it's worth a shot for $270...
Yeh, the problem with police shotguns are that our grand childern may wear them out if we and oyur kids do thier part.

A 18 chokeless pump gun will go F-O-R-E-V-E-R!
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote