SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:15   #1
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude

For anyone into Military history..

Found a video from 2003 showing the life of IDF Soldiers at checkpoints along Israel/Gaza.

Quote:
"Filmed over two years, 'Checkpoint' depicts the harsh and banal routine of these crossing points and documents the day-to-day situations that form a microcosm of the situation. The cameras film in a pure and non-manipulative manner so that the viewer feels part of the experience of 'checkpoint culture'. The film is an attempt to show the more human side of the situation, and, as with any such depiction, will show all aspects of the human condition - from the 'jobsworth' IDF recruits refusing to allow any variation from their 'orders', from the most obnoxious of members of the border security police at the Bethlehem checkpoint through to the very humane IDF soldier at the Nablus South checkpoint, we are presented with young men who are ultimately responsible for the overseeing of their country's security."

Last edited by BicycleDay43; 11-21-2012 at 05:16..
BicycleDay43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:28   #2
Patchman
Florist

I'm sure it's a thankless job. If you do your job the way it should be done, everyone hates you because you're causing delays. If you screw up that one time, you're potentially letting a terrorist slip by to blow him/herself up in your community.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31   #3
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude

It seems like they're either really stressed or really bored and they deal with it by trolling Palestinians.

But hey, the tables are turned when your ass is in the grass. Nothing ever happens like it 'should'.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:27   #4
G23Gen4TX

As an Israeli, this movie makes me sad.

I have watched several segments of this movie and in general the treatment the Palestinians got from the soldiers seemed to be fair but I know that without the camera around this is not always the case.

Unfortunately, the reality is that they send those 18-19 yo soldiers to do work and handle civilian population with very little guidance. They are not trained to handle the civilians and do the role of a police officer. The rules seem to be flexible and the ultimate decision is in the hand of the soldier.

Sad reality.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:55   #5
BicycleDay43
00 Buck dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Gen4TX View Post
As an Israeli, this movie makes me sad.

I have watched several segments of this movie and in general the treatment the Palestinians got from the soldiers seemed to be fair but I know that without the camera around this is not always the case.

Unfortunately, the reality is that they send those 18-19 yo soldiers to do work and handle civilian population with very little guidance. They are not trained to handle the civilians and do the role of a police officer. The rules seem to be flexible and the ultimate decision is in the hand of the soldier.

Sad reality.
So what you're saying is, you'd rather see Israeli soldiers with more standard operating procedures. The problem I see as well is that the soldiers are put in position as problem solvers (ie: Law Enforcement Officers). This could be fixed with leadership stepping in.

Sent from the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer