SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2012, 15:01   #51
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmac View Post
.., but the permit was clearly the motivation for his shift in demeanor and for his further questioning. ...
l.
You think seeing the permit was what changed his demeanor, however without his version it certainly may be possible that that or that along with something else or something else entirely is what changed his approach.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 22:54   #52
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

I'm guessing this guy didn't exactly expect the reaction that page got:

Quote:
The article you are looking for is no longer published. The author may have chosen to unpublish it, or it may have been unpublished by a moderator because of a violation of HubPages rules.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 23:17   #53
Scott3670

I've been stopped once while carrying a concealed firearm. When the officer approached me I immediately advised him that I had a concealed pistol and a valid permit for it and that I wasn't going to move until he instructed me to do so. All he did was verify that my papers were valid and let me go with a stiff warning lecture.

There is no law in my state that requires me to declare that I am armed upon being stopped. However, I would rather the cop know that I am armed as opposed to him/her seeing the butt of my pistol as I reach for my identification. There's nothing like being proned out on the pavement in the snow or rain - and I don't want to experience that. Some may say that I am wrong for notifying the cops that I am armed but I don't agree. And yes, I did serve briefly as a sworn law enforcement officer so I do have the experience to back up my feelings.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 23:24   #54
Mushinto
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
It's discusting.
That's disgusting.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 23:26   #55
Scott3670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
That's disgusting.
No, it's irresputable.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 23:47   #56
holesinpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
I'm guessing this guy didn't exactly expect the reaction that page got:
I think this is the Cached version of deleted article

Other forums discussing this article
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/vi...?f=132&t=99129
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../2961449/posts
http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...p?topic=2351.0

This *might* be the same Mike Bales. School resource officer in Missouri who passed away last month apparently do to a non-work related medical condition.

The article date in the hubpages.com site is Nov, but it could have been published posthumously.

Last edited by holesinpaper; 11-21-2012 at 00:02..
holesinpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 23:54   #57
TK-421

Alright, here's an honest question to the cops here. This is more of a question about courtesy, but might have some law come into effect too. So tell me what should happen in your state, since I figure you'll know those laws best. If a cop lives in Texas, great, then I know what I should do in my own state. Otherwise, it'll give me a basic understanding of what I should think about.

If a cop pulls me over, and I have a CHL, I have to give it to him along with my license, armed or not. However, I don't have to verbally say whether or not I'm armed, if I'm not mistaken. I figure I'll offer information when the information is requested, but I'll try to volunteer as little information as possible, if I've actually done something wrong and I know it. Don't want to give him all the details in that situation. But if I know I've done nothing wrong, or I don't think I have, I'll make his job as easy as possible.

But onto my question. When I hand over my license and permit, lets say the cop asks if I'm armed. I would then reply with I am, and tell him where it is. If he then asks for me to remove the firearm from my holster and hand it to him, so he can keep possession of it during the stop, is there a way that I can respectfully decline? As has been mentioned before, a gun won't go off in the holster, but there is always the risk it will go off when removed. And frankly, I'd like to stay as bullet hole-free as possible. I guess one option would be for him to have me get out of the car so he can remove the gun himself, but frankly that would make me extremely nervous, as I have no idea who the cop is, what experience he has, and some other stuff, and I wouldn't trust him with my firearm.

So, is there a way I can tell him I'd simply rather not have anybody touch my firearm, and for it to remain holstered for the duration of the stop? Or do I absolutely have to hand it over if he requests it? Is there any legal precedence in your state that says if a cop asks for your firearm that you have to hand it over?
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 00:38   #58
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3670 View Post
No, it's irresputable.
It's ubsurd.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46   #59
Ohio Copper

The only time I've ever removed a CCW permit holders weapon was when I arrested one for OVI (who subsequently caught another charge). the other was a domestic violence arrestee we caught leaving the apartment complex, after he whooped on his girlfriend and her daughter.

There is a gun there everytime I stop a car or go to a call anyway.

A lot of people have CCW permits where I work, I could care less. I have guns too. I already know you have a CCW permit before I get to your car, what county issued it and when it is active until.

You do your part and ill do my part.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:15   #60
DanaT
Pharaoh

I agree that most likely a cop knows if you have a ccw. The laws where my house is say that the sheriff SHALL maintain a list of permit holders. Then it say that this MAY be with other agencies or MAY be entered into CCIC.

They MAY is the operative word. A sheriff is not compelled to do so. The sheriff in the county I live (and a few others in the state) do not share their list or enter into CCIC.

This means an officer stopping me, assuming I have a ccw permit, would not know I had one. This is all within the law.

Our laws are very clear.

They say an Leo may temporarily disarm a permittee incident to a lawful stop. The Leo will return handgun to permittee prior to discharging permittee from scene.

That seems to me it is LEO discretion.

I see no-where in our laws that say I must notify an officer that I have a ccw nor a weapon.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:35   #61
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
... I already know you have a CCW permit before I get to your car, what county issued it and when it is active until.

You do your part and ill do my part.

Have you ever pulled over someone not from your state?

And I agree with your perspective/mindset that every driver you pull over has a weapon.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04   #62
BlackPaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I already know you have a CCW permit before I get to your car, what county issued it and when it is active until.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I would not mind having my local system with this information, right now it does not list any of that.

Anyway the point is 99.9999% of CCW folks have nothing to worry about. Volunteer the CCW info if stopped even if not required to do so. I was told once that it is better if I am up front with something, than for it to be found by other means. This was a job related quote.
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:38   #63
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3670 View Post
No, it's irresputable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
It's ubsurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
... If he then asks for me to remove the firearm from my holster and hand it to him, so he can keep possession of it during the stop, is there a way that I can respectfully decline?
...?
Here my guess is that refusing an order to give up your firearm would possibly result in an obstruction of justice charge. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...n%2002#0843.02
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39   #64
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
You think seeing the permit was what changed his demeanor, however without his version it certainly may be possible that that or that along with something else or something else entirely is what changed his approach.
This is reasonable to assume for anyone reading my account.

I remain quite certain of it, though. Seeing his face transform (including the amusing shocked look when he saw the carry permit) was fairly telling for me.