SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:05   #26
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

I think that the guy is entitled to his opinion. We all have them. But to allow your opinion to effect how you apply the law, policy, and basic safety practices is the concerning issue to me.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10   #27
Jay17

Although I live in Mass, I've never been pulled over while carrying here. It has happened twice in Vermont, however. Both times the trooper asked if I was carrying. When I said I was, they asked what and where. Once it was IWB, and the other time in my truck's console. Neither trooper ever asked to see it; they simply asked that I leave it where it was for the remainder of the stop. They both handled it like total professionals.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17   #28
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargingzebra View Post
I see valid concerns on the part of the officer for his safety, but the man who
informs the officer and is legally carrying concealed is probably not the one he has to worry about.
Having the gun clear the holster just makes things far more complicated. I can shoot someone far faster when my gun is in my hand and pointed away than when I have to draw it and then aim, so he's not buying himself much safety. And what if the suspect relinquishes his main gun and use his BUG to kill the officer who thinks he is dealing with an unarmed suspect? The practice of taking the suspects gun only makes sense if the suspect is not legally carrying or is displaying an intent to become violent and/or use the gun.
Exactly. A guy that is determined to shoot is going to shoot regardless. Maybe this individual wants to give the officer a false sense of security by making them believe they are unarmed, when in fact they have a BUG. I could see that being an even bigger problem than if the officer was on high alert the entire time, like they should be.
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18   #29
ray9898

In my career I have had contact with many who were carrying and the only times I took the gun is if we were dealing with more than a traffic stop. Off the top of my head I can recall a few DUI's, a few domestics and a couple of hit and runs. I normally just tell them to leave it where it is.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24   #30
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
One man's opinion.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30   #31
nmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
One man's opinion.
Of course. What's yours?
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34   #32
holesinpaper

A holstered gun doesn't go bang.

An unholstered gun, being unloaded and loaded, can go bang during that process.

"Officer safety" now that's oxyMORONic.

Never inform unless required by law.

Last edited by holesinpaper; 11-20-2012 at 11:35..
holesinpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36   #33
holesinpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
Of course. What's yours?
TBO seldom gives opinions.

It's his rhetorical tool to help stir up controversy while trying to remain 'blameless' for the fall out of his posts.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:50   #34
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holesinpaper View Post
TBO seldom gives opinions.

It's his rhetorical tool to help stir up controversy while trying to remain 'blameless' for the fall out of his posts.

Not sure why you would EVER post something like that. He has always posted from a position of absolute sincerity, guilelessness and frank discourse.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56   #35
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

No subterfuge, it was one man's opinion.

Opinions are like.... Everybody got one...

If that's not enough, I believe that persons blurb was more than a bit over the top.

I've been around here more than long enough for the regs to know my thoughts on these type of ever repeating subjects.

It's the reg haters that try to make an issue of things I do, or don't say.
Haters gonna hate

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?

Last edited by TBO; 11-20-2012 at 11:57..
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58   #36
holesinpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Not sure why you would EVER post something like that. He has always posted from a position of absolute sincerity, guilelessness and frank discourse.
In honor of TBO's love affair with the Joker:
The Okie Corral

Quote:
N
Haters gonna hate
Thanks Bieber.

The Okie Corral

Last edited by holesinpaper; 11-20-2012 at 12:00..
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04   #37
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
In my career I have had contact with many who were carrying and the only times I took the gun is if we were dealing with more than a traffic stop. Off the top of my head I can recall a few DUI's, a few domestics and a couple of hit and runs. I normally just tell them to leave it where it is.
This is my rifle
This is my gun
One is for killing
The others for fun

Explain again what you did with the gun?
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22   #38
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

The idea of a cop freaking out over a CHLer's gun during a traffic stop is irrisputably ubsurd.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40   #39
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

Thanks Bieber.

I took the liberty of speaking from his perspective, for him. Iz I allowed to do that?

Me? I could be agreeing with you one minit, the next, I might be schooling you on the meaning of desecration.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41   #40
RicoGordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
This is my rifle
This is my gun
One is for killing
The others for fun

Explain again what you did with the gun?
ray9898

Made the passengers do pushups while the driver ate a jelly doughnut.
RicoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:43   #41
RicoGordo

Quote:

Thanks Bieber.

The Okie Corral

When did Justin steal MC Hammer's doo-doo pants?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:47   #42
holesinpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
The idea of a cop freaking out over a CHLer's gun during a traffic stop is irrisputably ubsurd.
Agreed, lawful behavior isn't justification for over reaction and endangering the public.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:48   #43
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

I was pulled over fairly recently for a headlight being out (which was news to me, since I was driving on well lit streets). When I pulled out my driver's license, I realized that I couldn't remember if I was required me to inform the officer in this state. No big deal: After a friendly greeting, I just handed the officer my driver's license and my carry permit together when he asked for them.

After he noticed my carry permit, he seemed... odd. Still polite, but confused and cautious.

"Do you have your weapon on you?"
"No, sir. It's in the glovebox. I know I don't need a permit to have a gun in the car, I just didn't remember if the law required me to inform you about my permit."
"Alright. Go ahead and step out of the car."

He then asked me if I had any other weapons... Then asked if I had any drugs... and a couple of other things I would expect a cop to ask if he had reason to but that I've never been asked during a stop. He asked me to stay beside my car as he retrieved my pistol and took it back to his car.

When he came back, he was a bit more relaxed. He was clearly perplexed by my pistol (FEG PA-63), so we chatted about it a bit. When he told me I could get back in my car, he just deposited the gun in the passenger seat beside me.

The whole exchange was very polite, but the permit was clearly the motivation for his shift in demeanor and for his further questioning. Now, this area is dense with gun owners. Everyone and especially everyone's grandmother has some kind of gun. It may very well have been his first time being handed one (as it turns out, this state has no requirement to inform unless it's requested), but in a place where every other car has a gun in it, I don't know why someone would be put off by someone handing them a license that means neither the state nor the FBI thought there was a criminal record to speak of.

I think that we both learned something that night. The cop learned that concealed carry permits are nothing to worry about, and I learned that in my state having three minor infractions in one stop means you go straight to jail.

Last edited by jtmac; 11-20-2012 at 12:49..
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53   #44
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Agreed, lawful behavior isn't justification for over reaction and endangering the public.
It's discusting.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 13:40   #45
Steve in PA

He definitely has some serious issues.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 14:01   #46
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
LOL...I love TBO and his posts, but the truth lies in between yours and the post you quoted.

I always have both hands on the wheel, window down and license, insurance card, and permit to carry in one hand. I hand them to the officer. I rarely get pulled over but only once was the gun asked for.

Speeding near Opelika and two Auburn cops pulled me over. I had forgotten that I had a SP101 lying in the passenger seat until the cops were out of the car. I did tell them that I had a concealed weapon in the passenger seat as I knew that the guy on that side would see it. My whole body was turned away from the gun as I informed this and both hands on the driver door window jamb. As much distance as I could get.

I will never forget the next words as long as I live. I couldn't believe it but he said....."Would you hand it to me sir?" I told him I would rather either get out and let him get it or allow his partner to open the door and retrieve it. The partner took the pistol and laid in on a handkerchief on the hood and after the ticket placed it, fully loaded, on the passenger seat.

I don't mind informing them by giving them the permit. It is just not something I get wrapped around the axle about.
Old 11-20-2012, 14:15   #47
DanaT
Pharaoh

When the cop turns on his lights, it probably best to roll all the windows down. Get the weed smoke out of cabin before you tell him you have a CCW. Drive a few miles with your hazards on so he knows you are stopping, but let the car air out.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 14:19   #48
RicoGordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
A perspectus influcks?
A perspectus influcks capacitor.
Old 11-20-2012, 14:31   #49
SGT278ACR
Retired Veteran

A few folks in this thread have already said that "opinions are like .... everybody has one."... or something to that effect. With that said and this being GT... I'll do what everyone else here is doing and share mine.

Before I was permanently injured in 2010, I spent 7 years as a Police Officer and have made countless traffic stops. The author of the article has a pretty good process for the most part. The only part I really think might be extreme is taking the persons gun to the patrol car... unloading it... and then giving it back at the end of the process. However, I don't blame him. Law Enforcement Officers are just people too, just trying to do their job. As humans we all see things differently. Maybe for him, taking control of the weapon until the traffic stop is complete is within his personal understanding of officer safety.
The driver of the pulled over vehicle should extend a little common courtesy as well as long as the officer approaches with courtesy himself. True, most states do not require you to inform the officer if you're armed and have a carry permit, but they're going to know anyway when they run your driver license. So why not tell them "Hey, just FYI, when you run my license it will come back with a carry permit and I am currently armed/unarmed." Most professional LEO's will usually tell you thanks for letting them know and may ask where the firearm is. Plus it can establish a little bit of trust with the officer and he/she may not be so hard on you. Under those circumstances no one is violating any of your rights.
Remember, they may go a little overboard on officer safety on a traffic stop, but can you really blame them? They're just human beings too who may have a spouse and family they'd like to go home to at the end of the work day just like anyone else.
Plus, even the most seemingly passive situations can go bad in a split second. For example, in my town last year a Sheriff's Deputy happens upon what looks like a minor traffic accident (a fender bender). Before he even has a chance to exit his patrol car... one of the two people involved walks straight up to the patrol car and unloads aproximately 6 shots through the windshield and kills the deputy. Then turns the gun on himself and commits suicide. Turns out the guy intentionally ran his truck into his wife's car and proceeded to have domestic dispute with her. Incidentally, the Deputy left behind his wife and young son when the @$$#0Le killed him.
No, this situation had nothing to do with a routine traffic stop and a gun carry permit, it just goes to show that what seems to be the most harmless of situations can turn bad in a heartbeat. So, don't blame cops for seeming a bit extreme when it comes to officer safety. Remember, their job is to try to enforce the law and protect your butts... not kiss them. A lot of cops are pissy no matter what, but most won't get pissy with you unless you give them a reason.... like your attitude when pulled over maybe...

Last edited by SGT278ACR; 11-20-2012 at 14:49..
SGT278ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 14:49   #50
holesinpaper

Quote:
No subterfuge, it was one man's opinion.

Opinions are like.... Everybody got one...

If that's not enough, I believe that persons blurb was more than a bit over the top.

I've been around here more than long enough for the regs to know my thoughts on these type of ever repeating subjects.

Haters gonna hate

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2
Except it's not 'just' one man's opinion.

It's a professional opinion, by a man with the power to forcefully subject innocent, law abiding people to the consequences and risks of his opinion.

I won't send hate his way, but I sure won't like or respect the guy.