TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Eight with concealed-carry permits charged with felonies in Sedgwick County

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/17...y-permits.html
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:11   #2
TK-421

And of course they're going to try and smear permit holders as horrible people. But how many non-permit holders have been charged with felonies since the permits began being issued? How many permit holders are there that haven't been charged with felonies? They're trying to spin it so that stupid people only think about what is in front of them, and don't think about anything else. Trying to get those people to decide that permits to carry are horrible things, and that nobody should have guns.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:30   #3
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Stupid people with firearms.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:10   #4
rockapede

The only thing that really catches my attention is how much of an absolute farce those sentences are! And I thought we had it bad here....

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57   #5
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Seems high percentage wise.

For FL
1987 - Current
168 Permits have been revoked for crimes committed with a firearm after receiving a CWP.

The state issued 2.3 Million Permits during that time and just under a 1 Million are current.

168 out of 2.3 Million ~.007% over 25 years if my math is good.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/cw_monthly.pdf
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28   #6
merlynusn

I have charged or been involved in charging several CCW holders with serious felonies. It happens. This isn't saying that all CCW holders are violent.

I think the classes offered to CCW holders leave one important part out of them. When you claim "I was in fear of my life." You have to justify WHY you were in fear of your life. You can't just spout the words out and magically it's all okay.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40   #7
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
I have charged or been involved in charging several CCW holders with serious felonies. It happens. This isn't saying that all CCW holders are violent.

I think the classes offered to CCW holders leave one important part out of them. When you claim "I was in fear of my life." You have to justify WHY you were in fear of your life. You can't just spout the words out and magically it's all okay.
Had a guy here that came home and found some guys breaking into his house, after a number of prior break ins. He chased them, one got tired and stopped, gave up, said something to the effect "what are you gonna do, shoot me?" "Yup", and he did. I think he's up for parole soon. The homeowner I mean. Nice guy, understandably pissed. People make bad decisions under the influence, even just under the influence of adrenaline.

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 14:58   #8
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

Back in my dope days, we'd do a house, and start arresting people who showed up to make buys (not realizing it was us there now). One night had two CCW holders show up at different times - both carrying. Both trying to buy pills. Guess they were worried about getting ripped off. Just thought it was odd, as I kinda always had thought of the guys who went through the trouble of getting a CCW permit as the good guys. There are just the occasional bad apples in every group. I have arrested plenty of DUIs that were carrying and had permits. It happens.
Old 11-20-2012, 15:01   #9
Roering
Sorting nuts

Sounds like the feds are using local to police to disarm the citizens. It was only a matter of time.

Anyone seen my foil hat?

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 15:09   #10
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Had a guy here that came home and found some guys breaking into his house, after a number of prior break ins. He chased them, one got tired and stopped, gave up, said something to the effect "what are you gonna do, shoot me?" "Yup", and he did. I think he's up for parole soon. The homeowner I mean. Nice guy, understandably pissed. People make bad decisions under the influence, even just under the influence of adrenaline.

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
And that is exactly the kind of person who should be arrested and sentenced to prison time. Just because you have a CCW does not exempt you from stupid decisions you might make while carrying.

I need to read up on the castle doctrine some. In Texas, if you catch someone breaking into your home, are you allowed to shoot first and ask questions later? Or do you have to give them verbal commands to stop what they're doing and get down on the ground, before you're authorized to shoot them?
Old 11-20-2012, 15:52   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

This must be "The blood will run in the streets" evidence we often hear about.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 18:27   #12
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Sounds like the feds are using local to police to disarm the citizens. It was only a matter of time.

Anyone seen my foil hat?
Looks like idiots are using stupid decisions to disarm themselves. Try the kitchen next to the ziplock baggies.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 18:52   #13
SpringerTGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post

Anyone seen my foil hat?
And you don't think every one of the citizens cited should be disarmed?????
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 19:03   #14
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Maybe liquor led to to it? I mean, it's like we had a booze epidemic here in NY after Sandy...
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 20:39   #15
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
...how many non-permit holders have been charged with felonies since the permits began being issued? How many permit holders are there that haven't been charged with felonies?
That's the point. It's a case of man-bites-dog. In truth, it is only that fact (that it is so unusual) that makes the story newsworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
He should have listened to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman speak about the importance of appropriate role models.

The Bullet Proof Mind: Lt. Col. Dave Grossman Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=CbWyzUP1BGk#!
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 23:55   #16
Schrag4

I live in Sedgwick county. Unless I misread the article (didn't read it too closely), the local paper used the same stats to suggest that a smaller percentage of permit holders commit crimes than the general public, statewide anyway.

http://www.kansas.com/2012/11/17/257...concealed.html
Schrag4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 00:31   #17
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrag4 View Post
I live in Sedgwick county. Unless I misread the article (didn't read it too closely), the local paper used the same stats to suggest that a smaller percentage of permit holders commit crimes than the general public, statewide anyway.

http://www.kansas.com/2012/11/17/257...concealed.html
Quote:
“As a police officer, I’d vote no against concealed carry. It complicates the job and puts officers’ lives at risk. I like to put my trust in the cops.”
That's a load of pure bulls***. But it's what will happen when people live in Chicago.

Last edited by TK-421; 11-21-2012 at 00:31..