Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2012, 20:53   #1
dusty200001

ankle carry

Thinking about a ankle carry, for you that do it hiw long did it take to get use to the extra weight?im going toward this because were not supposed to have weapon at work and in my work my shirt sometimes comes up and would reveal iwb.
dusty200001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 21:14   #2
DaneA

depends on what you are carrying.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 21:15   #3
dusty200001

What ahout a g27
dusty200001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 21:23   #4
DaneA

I carry a G26 (27 in 9mm) and I think it would be like carrying a brick around all day on your ankle. Get longer shirts and a crossbreed. I carry one everyday all day with a tucked shirt.
Old 12-02-2012, 21:31   #5
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

I carry a G26 on my ankle. You can do it, but it's a lifestyle commitment. Invest in a good holster with plenty of padding, not a cheap nylon rig. Mostly you just have to power through it and commit to wearing it every day until you forget that it's there. After five years or so of carrying it every day, you'll have a well- defined calf muscle on the leg you wear it on.
Old 12-02-2012, 21:36   #6
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Tagged for info:

I'm thinking about how to carry a G27 as backup, just because, if I could do it without printing or exposing it.

I already CCW IWB. Ankle carry in addition is under consideration for me.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 21:38   #7
Clay1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
I carry a G26 (27 in 9mm) and I think it would be like carrying a brick around all day on your ankle. Get longer shirts and a crossbreed. I carry one everyday all day with a tucked shirt.
I have two Crossbreed holsters and I would make you rather quickly at work if you used the tuckable feature. The clips are a dead give-a-way. I like the holsters and carry in them often, and while most won't make you wearing them, I would never try at work with those exposed clips (concealed is concealed and a tucked CB is not concealed. Again, I own two of them and everyday with them.

In a non permissive environment I might try Thunderwear or depending on your build a belly band or AIWB (depending on how much you sit verses standing a day.

Last edited by Clay1; 12-02-2012 at 21:39..
Clay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 21:40   #8
DaneA

In a few years of wearing my CBST I have been made 1 time by someone that knew. At work the ones that would recognize it aren't the ones that will say anything.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20   #9
dhkaiser

I used to ankle carry, and was made once when I sat and crossed my legs. Pant leg rode up. Just saying.
dhkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30   #10
KentuckyPatriot
No BS Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
I have two Crossbreed holsters and I would make you rather quickly at work if you used the tuckable feature. The clips are a dead give-a-way. I like the holsters and carry in them often, and while most won't make you wearing them, I would never try at work with those exposed clips (concealed is concealed and a tucked CB is not concealed. Again, I own two of them and everyday with them.

In a non permissive environment I might try Thunderwear or depending on your build a belly band or AIWB (depending on how much you sit verses standing a day.
Of course with the use of velcro clips and a velcro lined belt you will be hard pressed to notice a tuckable holster being tucked.

when done right you will have no external device showing with this kind of setup.

IMO it is not as secure as a clip, but for smaller firearms it should be just right...

In the OP's case he mentions his shirt tail coming out during work and thus it would not work for him. Ankle carry can be done but I would not go the route of a G26 personally. I would go smaller...down to the j-frame level for an all-day wearing comfort.

YMMV
Gen 4: G22, G27; Gen 3: G23, G26, G30s;J-Frames: Model 60 and M&P 340; S&W Bodyguard 380 x2; Ruger LC9 with Laserguard
KentuckyPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39   #11
Vanman2004b

Renegade Cozy Partner with a smaller weapon and you will be good to go. The G27 would print badly.
Vanman2004b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56   #12
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I've got mixed emotions on this topic?

From one point of view ankle carry is useful for someone who spends a lot of time sitting down. While at the same time - and as Jerry Usher used to point out - the last place you want to put your head at the start of a gunfight is down low where most of the bullets fly!

I've got some really nice, well-made, ankle rigs around here; but I almost never use them. It's just too difficult to hide a pistol on your leg all day long without someone spotting it. Law enforcement people don't seem to care; but a private citizen should. To my mind trying to hide any pistol as bulky as a Glock on your leg just doesn't make any sense at all; AND forget about wearing an expensive suit. The fine fabric will never guarantee reliable concealment for long.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03   #13
Chesafreak

I used to ankle carry during the warmer months when it was difficult to conceal IWB with a tucked in shirt. I found it slower and more difficult to draw from the ankle holster.

If your ankle holster doesn't have good retention it is very possible that your gun would go sliding across the pavement if you have to run (fight or flee) while carrying this way. If you google it you will find stories of people whose gun came out of an ankle holster while fighting or running. If you insist on ankle carry get a holster with something more than compression retention.

I have bought a tuckable IWB holster and no longer use the ankle holster for those reasons.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 12-03-2012 at 08:08..
Chesafreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 13:14   #14
cadillacguns

De Santis Apache

Of course getting shot in the top of the head as you bend over to draw is no fun

They have their moments.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 13:43   #15
Kentguy

dusty200001,

I have to agree with other, it "can" be done but with a liter pistol like a keltech p3at 9mm weighting in at just a smidge over 11 oz (loaded) or revolver like the Ruger LCR just over 17 oz (loaded) compaired to the G26 at 26.12 oz (loaded).

as DaneA pointed out... "I carry a G26 (27 in 9mm) and I think it would be like carrying a brick around all day on your ankle."

I too carry the G26, but if I carry anything at all round my ankle it would be a lighter gun.
Old 12-03-2012, 15:28   #16
jhmayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
I carry a G26 on my ankle. You can do it, but it's a lifestyle commitment. Invest in a good holster with plenty of padding, not a cheap nylon rig. Mostly you just have to power through it and commit to wearing it every day until you forget that it's there. After five years or so of carrying it every day, you'll have a well- defined calf muscle on the leg you wear it on.
I agree with the above post if you were to commit to a G26 in an ankle holster. I personally would swing for pocket carry with a smaller pistol for EDC in a non-permissive work enviornment.
jhmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:35   #17
profiler999

I carry ankle all the time. I'd rather have the weight there than around my waist.

For those who say "its slow to draw", my response is how many times do you draw? Realistically never.

So if you drive or sit a lot like me, its the way to go. Also much quicker draw that untucking my shirt and pulling while I'm sitting or driving. A tucked shirt is a requirement for my work.

Contact david prince at prince gun leather for an awesome ankle holster. Also watch his video.
Old 12-03-2012, 15:49   #18
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post

The clips are only a giveaway to people who know. You ask a group of random citizens what those metal things on the belt mean, and I'm sure the vast majority of them will have no idea those clips were even there. And the ones who did see them, the vast majority will have no idea what they're for. Only people who know what to look for will know what they are. And hopefully those are the kind of people who will know to keep their mouth shut.

So I wouldn't be worried about someone seeing the clips and knowing what they're there for.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:32   #19
jtull7
Pistolero

My ankles are titanium. I don't think ankle carry would work for me.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 19:06   #20
steven07

I would consider a lighter more slimmed down gun like an LCP. sigs p238 is pretty tiny too and if your not a fan of the 380s sig has the same gun in a 9mm but the price is a little steep- at least for me

Last edited by steven07; 12-03-2012 at 19:07..
steven07 is offline   Reply With Quote