Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2012, 14:34   #1
norton

Barrel replacment for Glock

Those of you like me who cast, are you using replacement barrels in your Glocks?
I shoot cast bullets in my 1911 and wheel guns , but would like to shoot them in my 21.
My question-if you do shoot cast, what barrel are you using?
And what do you think of the Lone Wolf barrel?
Old 11-18-2012, 15:11   #2
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Those of you like me who cast, are you using replacement barrels in your Glocks?
I shoot cast bullets in my 1911 and wheel guns , but would like to shoot them in my 21.
My question-if you do shoot cast, what barrel are you using?
And what do you think of the Lone Wolf barrel?
I have a G21SF and I shoot lead bullets through a KKM barrel. Even the 200 gr LSWC feeds fine.

There was a lengthy thread around here not long ago on Lone Wolf barrels. There has been a problem with the tight 'match' chamber working with lead bullets because, fundamentally, they are 0.001" larger in diameter. The thead has over 500 replies so it will take a bit of reading.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...ight=lone+wolf

BTW, I had no problem feeding the LSWC into the Glock barrel either. Nor did I have any signs of leading. Nevertheless, I decided to try conventional rifling.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 11-18-2012 at 15:13..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 15:15   #3
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

I use the original barrel in my Glock 21 to shoot cast bullets.

I shoot the Missouri Bullet Co's 230gr RNL.
http://www.missouribullet.com/detail...y=13&keywords=

The important thing is to use a hard cast bullet that properly fits the bore. This will greatly limit any leading of the barrel.

I load to what you would call "target" velocities and I've never had any problem with leading. I've fired as many as 500 rounds between barrel cleanings with no problem.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 16:31   #4
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I have a G21SF and I shoot lead bullets through a KKM barrel. Even the 200 gr LSWC feeds fine.

There was a lengthy thread around here not long ago on Lone Wolf barrels. There has been a problem with the tight 'match' chamber working with lead bullets because, fundamentally, they are 0.001" larger in diameter. The thead has over 500 replies so it will take a bit of reading.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...ight=lone+wolf

BTW, I had no problem feeding the LSWC into the Glock barrel either. Nor did I have any signs of leading. Nevertheless, I decided to try conventional rifling.

Richard
Richard
Thanks for the heads up. I am plowing through the thread right now, in between watching the Colts lose and the Sprint Cup final race.
Neal
Old 11-18-2012, 16:36   #5
billy b

lead bullets in 21

i was hesitent to shoot lead bullets out of my 21sf with stock barrel. i started out slowly, & now shoot lead out of it all the time. surprising thing is that it shoots lead as good as my range officer.
billy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 16:53   #6
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
I use the original barrel in my Glock 21 to shoot cast bullets.

I shoot the Missouri Bullet Co's 230gr RNL.
http://www.missouribullet.com/detail...y=13&keywords=

The important thing is to use a hard cast bullet that properly fits the bore. This will greatly limit any leading of the barrel.

I load to what you would call "target" velocities and I've never had any problem with leading. I've fired as many as 500 rounds between barrel cleanings with no problem.
^^^^ Knows what he is talking about!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 18:11   #7
Colorado4Wheel

Anything but Lone Wolf. Storm Lake or KKM.
Old 11-18-2012, 19:30   #8
michael e

22 Glocks, all of them factory barrels with hard cast. Couple have never seen a FMJ round.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 20:09   #9
Uncle Don
Wood butcher

I chose Storm Lake and and has been said, didn't chamber a lead bullet well so I sent it to them and they opened it up for me at no cost. It's worked perfect since.
Uncle Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 20:53   #10
Bullseye25

I have storm lake, lone wolf, and Jarvis barrels in my Glocks. All have functioned flawlessly with lead and jacketed
Bullseye25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 21:34   #11
ken grant

Home cast bullets with wheelweights,shot as they come out of a Lee Six Cav. mold, lubed with Liquid Alox.

Glock 21, Glock 21SF, Glock 30, Glock 23 and G27. All with stock barrels.

They don't lead anymore than my 1911's.
I do check them every couple hundred rds.
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 22:21   #12
WeeWilly

I also shoot cast out of all my Glocks, 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, 45 Auto. Many, many thousands of rounds.

I get a little leading in some of the models with some of the bullets I use (I don't cast my own, yet..), but no more than any of my 1911's, revolvers, etc.

As stated already, bullet fit is most important, lube next. I run gas checks in my hot 10mm loads.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:02   #13
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael e View Post
22 Glocks, all of them factory barrels with hard cast. Couple have never seen a FMJ round.
Really! That's quite some record. What do the rest of us have to do in order to get you to tell more about how you do it?
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07   #14
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy b View Post
i was hesitent to shoot lead bullets out of my 21sf with stock barrel. i started out slowly, & now shoot lead out of it all the time. surprising thing is that it shoots lead as good as my range officer.
Same here! On my third G21, and not one of them had problems with shooting lead.

If you decide on getting a different barrel, don't hesitate getting a Lone Wolf. I have three, and all shoot flawlessly!

Owned two Storm lake barrels, and as another mentioned, had to be sent back to have the chambers opened up to shoot my reloads.

Consider this, if you are buying an after market barrel, to shoot less expensive bullets, why would you pay for a much more expensive barrel to achieve your goal? Especially, when the least expensive barrel, "Lone Wolf" is satisfaction guaranteed!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33   #15
DoctaGlockta

I have shot lead (MBC) out of my stock Glock barrels with no issues.

I did buy a LWD threaded barrel for my G30sf and have had no issues with my reloads. That barrel has stayed in the pistol and I have no reason to remove it for now.

Good luck.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33   #16
serger

I've got a Storm Lake 9mm barrel for one of the 23's. It runs fine and I've never had any problems using my 124gr cast bullets. My mould is a Lee 6 cavity. I use liquid alox and after they dry a bit I powder with talcum powder. Runs in the Tokarev,Browning Hipower and that 23. I suppose I should look and see if those loads would run in a 17/19. I just took the word of the "smart guys" and assumed you couldn't shoot cast in a Factory Glock barrel. Maybe I spent a hundred bucks I didn't need to.

Last edited by serger; 11-19-2012 at 08:34..
serger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12   #17
KenInColorado

I have a Wilson Combat barrel for my 22. I love it, it's a lot more accurate than my stock barrel with jacketed bullets, and it shoots my lead bullet reloads to the same point of aim and is very accurate with them. Typical Wilson quality.
KenInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33   #18
dkf

Quote:
Consider this, if you are buying an after market barrel, to shoot less expensive bullets, why would you pay for a much more expensive barrel to achieve your goal? Especially, when the least expensive barrel, "Lone Wolf" is satisfaction guaranteed!
Because considering what the bullets cost vs the barrel spending $30 more for a better quality American made barrel that works better with cast bullets (in most cases) makes a lot of sense. Plus no spending extra $$$ to blind mark mark a barrel with KKM or Storm Lake to avoid a stupid logo that maybe 3 people actually like.

Anyway if you are really concerned about saving money don't buy an aftermarket barrel to begin with when it is proven that the stock Glock barrel can shoot cast bullets fine.

Last edited by dkf; 11-19-2012 at 09:34..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37   #19
Colorado4Wheel

i could never get lead to work in my G34. Barrel. Fast powder, slow powder (tried several). Different sizes (even unsized). Nothing worked. I think the barrel is defective. When I push a patch through it mine is tight on both the ends but kinda loose in the middle. So don't feel like you did something wrong if it doesn't work. But I would try it at see. Use a medium to slow speed powder to start with. A boolit at least .001" larger then FMJ and work it up to a mid level charge to start with.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54   #20
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Because considering what the bullets cost vs the barrel spending $30 more for a better quality American made barrel that works better with cast bullets (in most cases) makes a lot of sense. Plus no spending extra $$$ to blind mark mark a barrel with KKM or Storm Lake to avoid a stupid logo that maybe 3 people actually like.

Anyway if you are really concerned about saving money don't buy an aftermarket barrel to begin with when it is proven that the stock Glock barrel can shoot cast bullets fine.
As a consumer that did irk me a bit. Nickel and dime stuff. But it didn't stop me from ordering.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote