Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-23-2012, 18:21   #1
NMG26

Remington Primers

So I am on my third box of 1000 primers.

The first box I don't remember.

The second box was Remington 5.5 Small Pistol Primers. I loaded both 38 special and 357 magnum with these.

Today when I went to buy primers I found out that they had 1.5 and 5.5. I guessed the one was for magnum and the other for small pistol other then magnum

My 38 special rounds always seemed a bit hot and I guess the reason was that I was using magnum primers. So I am wondering if it is ok to use magnum primers for 38 special? Any harm? The 1000 rounds I loaded did not seem have any real problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by NMG26; 11-23-2012 at 18:23..
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:49   #2
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
So I am on my third box of 1000 primers.

The first box I don't remember.

The second box was Remington 5.5 Small Pistol Primers. I loaded both 38 special and 357 magnum with these.

Today when I went to buy primers I found out that they had 1.5 and 5.5. I guessed the one was for magnum and the other for small pistol other then magnum

My 38 special rounds always seemed a bit hot and I guess the reason was that I was using magnum primers. So I am wondering if it is ok to use magnum primers for 38 special? Any harm? The 1000 rounds I loaded did not seem have any real problem.
Remington No.11/2 Small Pistol Primers carries a warning on the box not to use them for high intensity pistol cartridges such as 357 magnum,357 Sig, and the .40S&W.
Remington 51/2 Small Pistol Primers are Magnum primers.
ChrisJn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01   #3
Kentguy

NMG26... "So I am wondering if it is ok to use magnum primers for 38 special?"

Only reason to run magnum primers with this caliber is if you are runing "hotter" rounds (+P type stuff) with slower powders or if you are going to shoot these rounds in temp's colder than 20 degrees.

Most loads for a 38 special it is unnecessary (and not recommended) to use magnum primers.

"...Any harm?"

Short term - no

Long term effects (i'm talking thousands of rounds), not sure, lets just say, to be on the safe side, I wouldn't make a steady diet out of that though.

Last edited by Kentguy; 11-25-2012 at 09:12..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:19   #4
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJn View Post
Remington No.11/2 Small Pistol Primers carries a warning on the box not to use them for high intensity pistol cartridges such as 357 magnum,357 Sig, and the .40S&W.
Remington 51/2 Small Pistol Primers are Magnum primers.
The boxes for the 1.5 and the 5.5 are identical. There is no call out for magnum on the the 5.5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 11-24-2012, 18:13   #5
17&27

Quote:
The boxes for the 1.5 and the 5.5 are identical. There is no call out for magnum on the the 5.5.
There is on Remington's website. 5.5 in 40S&W, 357Sig, etc.
17&27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 00:41   #6
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Quote:
Just saying what's on the box. You might find this useful:
http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp
ChrisJn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39   #7
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJn View Post
Just saying what's on the box. You might find this useful:
http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp
Thanks.

I bought these from a display cabinet. That is why I did not notice that they were magnum. On most websites they are called out as magnum. I've learned a bit from surfing the the web and from discussion boards. Thanks again.

Loaded 50 rounds of 357 and 25 rounds of 38 special with the mag primers. I used 158 grain LSWC for both rounds. 5.5 grains for 357 and a mild 4.3 for 38 special. Not sure when I will get out to shoot them.