Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 20:56   #1
ghostman1960
Static Nomad

Got a ticket for driving on a suspended for not paying a ticket I never got

I got pulled over on my way to work today and got a ticket for driving on a suspended license. The cop told me it was suspended for not paying a ticket I received on August 28th.

The problem is that I have not got a ticket in years much less on August 28th. I also never received anything in the mail telling me my license was suspended. Now I have no license to get back and forth to work and I have to go fight this in court on Dec 10th.

There was no reason to even pull me over in the first place. I was in the slow lane doing the speed limit When he pulled me over.

Last edited by ghostman1960; 11-18-2012 at 20:58.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2012, 21:03   #2
glock_19guy1983

sounds like a conspiracy to me
"Our situation illustrates the American idea that governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established."
Old 11-18-2012, 21:04   #3
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Guilty until proven innocent.

Yup...that about sums it up.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
Old 11-18-2012, 21:11   #4
TK-421

Well if your story adds up then you shouldn't have any issues getting it thrown out in court, hopefully. Did the cop tell you what the ticket on the 28th was for? Or did he not have access to that info?
Old 11-18-2012, 21:18   #5
ghostman1960
Static Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Well if your story adds up then you shouldn't have any issues getting it thrown out in court, hopefully. Did the cop tell you what the ticket on the 28th was for? Or did he not have access to that info?
All that he told me was that I got a ticket on August 28th and that I never paid it. I said that was impossible but he said I had to go to court on Dec 10th. My wife looked it up on the computer at home and she got the citation number and when she entered the citation number it came up none existent. Its all very strange to me.
Old 11-18-2012, 21:19   #6
Drain You
NRA member

Did he say TAK! a lot and find a bag of marijuana in your trunk? If yes, then run.
Old 11-18-2012, 21:23   #7
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
All that he told me was that I got a ticket on August 28th and that I never paid it. I said that was impossible but he said I had to go to court on Dec 10th. My wife looked it up on the computer at home and she got the citation number and when she entered the citation number it came up none existent. Its all very strange to me.
That is honestly really bizarre. What reason did the cop give you that he pulled you over? Or did he not give a reason? Because last I knew they had to have probable cause to pull you over, and if he didn't, then that should also help you in court.
Old 11-18-2012, 21:30   #8
ghostman1960
Static Nomad

Quote:
That is honestly really bizarre. What reason did the cop give you that he pulled you over? Or did he not give a reason? Because last I knew they had to have probable cause to pull you over, and if he didn't, then that should also help you in court.
He said he pulled me over because my license was suspended. I guess he ran my tag #.
Old 11-18-2012, 21:37   #9
ray9898

Quote:
He said he pulled me over because my license was suspended. I guess he ran my tag #.
That is what I was about to suggest was the case.
Old 11-18-2012, 21:39   #10
vart

Quote:
In my area, the cops have a system in their cars that is constantly scanning plate numbers while they are driving and if one comes back with a hit for something, they pull you over...

My wife got pulled over in Flagstaff for a cracked windshield and then was arrested for driving on a suspended license. She got a photo radar ticket 6 months earlier that we never got in the mail. No letter that her license was suspended or anything.

By the time we got it resolved after 2 court appearances and a $500 ticket, it was nearly $1000 in costs due to time off work and going up to Flagstaff for court.

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
Old 11-18-2012, 21:39   #11
TK-421

Quote:
Yeah, that means he ran the tag, and that would be a legit reason to pull you over, if it showed that on his computer. Have you tried calling the courts up with the supposed ticket number that your wife found, and ask them to do a records check to see what their system says?
Old 11-18-2012, 21:45   #12
Gonzoso

Quote:
How Orwellian. I'm glad he got a danger to society such as yourself off the streets.
Old 11-18-2012, 21:48   #13
ghostman1960
Static Nomad

Quote:
Yeah, that means he ran the tag, and that would be a legit reason to pull you over, if it showed that on his computer. Have you tried calling the courts up with the supposed ticket number that your wife found, and ask them to do a records check to see what their system says?
I will make some calls tomorrow. I just got the ticket today.
Old 11-18-2012, 22:45   #14
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Quote:
When was your last academy?

Oh, yeah - you haven't had one. Well, absent a JD and a practice in criminal law, or a LE academy of some sort where local, state, and Constitutional law is taught, you might wanna refrain from making comments like the one above.

Just for a fellow SW fan, I'll help ya out. Google "reasonable suspicion" and "Terry vs. Ohio". Neither deals with PC, and both are what gives us the ability to detain someone. PC is required for a warrant or arrest.
Old 11-18-2012, 22:46   #15
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

OP -

In my area, court clerks screw up stuff all the time. Might be that.
Old 11-18-2012, 22:49   #16
Atlas
transmogrifier

Photo radar ticket was my suggestion also.

Most states will tell you that if they mail correspondence (regarding a ticket, etc) they no longer have any responsibility in the matter, it's all up to the driver at that point.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Old 11-18-2012, 23:25   #17
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman1960
There was no reason to even pull me over in the first place. I was in the slow lane doing the speed limit When he pulled me over.

Quote:
I hope you figure out your issues but you already have a credibility problem.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 11-18-2012, 23:27   #18
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
How Orwellian. I'm glad he got a danger to society such as yourself off the streets.
Do you have any idea how many felonies are cleared through traffic stops?

The other side of that is, that Officer was doing his job. Exactly what we pay him for. He was looking everywhere for a crime, or a possible crime. Guess what, in looking for such a thing, what he saw was the OP. See how that works?

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 11-18-2012, 23:28   #19
ghostman1960
Static Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I hope you figure out your issues but you already have a credibility problem.
How so? Because I surmised the reason he pulled me over?
Old 11-18-2012, 23:31   #20
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
How so? Because I surmised the reason he pulled me over?
You said he had no reason to pull you over, then said he gave you one.

You surmised the mechanism, not the reason.

Last edited by Rabbi; 11-18-2012 at 23:32..
Old 11-18-2012, 23:33   #21
ghostman1960
Static Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You said he had no reason to pull you over, then said he gave you one.

You surmised the mechanism, not the reason.
When I was being pulled over in my mind there was no reason for it as I was doing nothing wrong.
Old 11-18-2012, 23:36   #22
Ohio Copper

Quote:
When I was being pulled over in my mind there was no reason for it as I was doing nothing wrong.
Wha??????

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-18-2012, 23:38   #23
Ohio Copper

Registered owner (who may be suspended or have a warrant) is assumed the driver. More than PC enough.

My advice to you; call or go or the court ahead of time an find everything out.

You didn't pay a ticket or didn't appear for court and you didn't have a capias for your arrest?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-18-2012, 23:39   #24
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
That is a fair statement and I understand it but the problem with it is, that is not how you presented it and that is also not how it works.

I pull over people all the time who have infact broken the law and they honestly do not know. (for example, a headlight is out) So in their mind, there is no reason, but they are wrong. It is no big deal but it is an important point.

I listen to people tell me their "so I got pulled over" stories all the time. Their side of the story often leaves out key facts or includes false statements....and this is from otherwise honest and good people.

Last edited by Rabbi; 11-18-2012 at 23:40..
Old 11-18-2012, 23:46   #25
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

I was pulled over once for a driving a stolen vehicle. Issue was, another vehicle 100 miles away (same state) similar to mine, with a plate VERY similar to mine was entered in a database with two numbers transposed.

It was a very interesting 1/2hr by the roadside trying to get that straightened out. Fortunately it happened locally, the cop that pulled me over was someone I'd been trying to set-up with a relative of mine. Still...he had to do his due diligence.
Closed Thread