Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 20:17   #1
ericG23

Modified Mosin

Has anyone modernized a Mosin 91/30? I'm just curious what you did and how you liked the results. I've got two, one I want to leave stock, but I was thinking of doing some work to the other. If I were to do this, I would consider putting the barreled action into a Boyd's Thumbhole stock, bedding the action, cutting and crowning the barrel at 22", forging the bolt handle, parkerizing, and installing a Rock Solid scope mount. I think this would make a nice deer rifle, but I dont know anyone who has done anything like this and I'm not sure if I'll end up getting the performance I need to make it worth the money. The barrel is in excellent condition and I can get the stock, scope mount, and have the work done all for about $500.
ericG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27   #2
Veedubklown

Yeah, many people have done this over the years. The ATI synthetic stock isn't bad, and I've played with a few sporterized mosins.

Some of the drawbacks - scope mounts REALLY inhibit loading the mosin. Stripper clips, are now a thing of the past. Not a big deal, if you're just dear hunting, you shouldn't need more than 5 shots in a weekend, right? They kick like a son of a gun when they've been put into a nice light stock to hunt with, so watch that scope bite! My buddy and I were both high-fiving each other's foreheads, for the rest of the day. For what you're looking to spend, you could actually get a used remington 700, in something that's not 7.62x54r... Which, isn't a bad cartridge, but there's only about 3 guns in the world chambered for it.

I had a mosin for a while, and it was alot of fun to shoot. Very accurate, as well, with the iron sights. Couple things I would do to it, should I get one again (I probably will, they were alot of fun), I would change the stock for sure, but those boyd's stocks are expensive! Either the ATI stock, or modify the existing stock. I'd remove the majority of the forend, the heat shield, and add a pistol grip and cheek weld. There's a scope mount for the mosin, that mounts the scope FORWARD of the ejection port, so you can mount a long eye-relief pistol scope. 4-6 power is awesome. I saw a guy who had used some wire and drilled the back side of his bolt, then installed a finger-loop, so that he could easily work the safety with 1 finger. Lastly, tune the trigger and sear to a nice pull. Mine had alot of take-up, a real crisp break, and not alot of over-travel. I've seen some just be real long and gritty, with tons of over-travel. I'd work all the excess out.

Some of those mosins can be worth some stupid money, so do a little digging around and make sure what you have is indeed a $99 big-5 special, before you go chopping it up, just to be safe. http://7.62x54r.net/ has alot of good historical info, but it's a purist site, so you wont find alot of sporter info there.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 11-20-2012 at 06:29..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 19:04   #3
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

My cousin put a Boyds thumb hole stock on his and he took it hunting last week and got an 8 pointer with it. I handled it, it really changes the old Mosin once you take that huge original stock off. If I hadn't sold mine, I would buy one of those stocks too.
Old 11-27-2012, 16:59   #4
mc1911

Cheap rifles

I like Mosins but resist putting a lot of money into them. A Vanguard would be better.

They are fun and prices seem to be going up.
mc1911 is offline   Reply With Quote