Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:00   #1
jonny772

A grand on a new. My first. AR. What to get?

Well I have about a grand to get my first complete rifle and am looking for suggestions. I would be using it for plinking and home defense if needed. Looked at the stag model 1 and it seems like a great deal at 950. Thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 12:09   #2
Fwdftw

walmart colt 6920
Fwdftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:18   #3
bmoore

Colt 6920 or build a BCM. Get the most for your money.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:22   #4
Brian Brazier

Not trying to be rude, but you should really look through the already established "what should I buy threads". The last one is up to 9 or 10 pages of arguing about irrelevant crap, use google or your search engine of choice to research different brands, cause the only awnser you will get is Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, and BCM are the only brands worthy of perchase, which is grossly untrue. I have no experiance with Stag, do your homework and look at what owners of them are saying. I have owned 2 Doublestar rifles, the one I have now is an M4 style, the other was a 20" A4, both have worked flawlessly, all the parts that should be staked are staked correctly, the fit and finish is excellent, goes bang everytime I pull the trigger, whats not to like.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31   #5
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
colt 6920 or build a bcm. Get the most for your money.
+1...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
P99er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:35   #6
P99er
AKA PPQ'er

You should be patient and save another $2k and buy a Noveske. It's the only weapon I would trust my life with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by P99er; 11-16-2012 at 15:57..
P99er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 13:22   #7
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

I suggest reading the stickies on top of this forum, and make your own decision. Asking here will only get you suggestions based on little else than personal preference and brand loyalty.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...19&postcount=1
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...70&postcount=1
ETA: and this http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.ph...68&postcount=1

OR...

Just go to a few local gun shops and big name chain stores, look at a few models you are interested in, do some research online about the ones you like, and buy the one closest to your price range.

Last edited by LA_357SIG; 11-16-2012 at 13:26..
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 18:24   #8
Sporaticus
Aw sheet main

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
I suggest reading the stickies on top of this forum, and make your own decision. Asking here will only get you suggestions based on little else than personal preference and brand loyalty.

OR...

Just go to a few local gun shops and big name chain stores, look at a few models you are interested in, do some research online about the ones you like, and buy the one closest to your price range.
The stickies in the forum are largely opinion skewed to the typical chart fan boy opinion.

They ARE a good place to start. But I don't think we would get much disagreement that if has have $1k he wants to spend on an AR, no training, no ammo, no optics. He definitely cannot go wrong with a BCM or Colt. Or I suppose even SW. I don't know what the fan boys think of SW, but I know folks who are happy with them.

But, if he wants gun, ammo and optics for that amount, that's different story.

Other links to consider:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Quote:
I would take a book learner over the assumption making that runs rampid on this forum.

Sporaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 18:41   #9
jonny772

Thanks I have been searching the forums for ideas but nothing stag, or at least nothing that didn't turn into some other conversion:eek:
Old 11-16-2012, 18:45   #10
Sporaticus
Aw sheet main

Again, you can't go wrong with a BCM or Colt, and they are right at $1k. But there are other rifles that will suit your needs and leave you some cash for ammo, training, or optics.

Quote:
I would take a book learner over the assumption making that runs rampid on this forum.

Old 11-16-2012, 21:27   #11
vettely

I'm really digging my Sig M400 enhanced I got at Wally's for $917.
Old 11-16-2012, 21:35   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

With your budget, I would look hard at a Colt. They can still be had online for right at $1,000. While it won't leave spare in your budget for extra mags and ammo, it's hard to beat a 6920. The mags and ammo can come over time.
Old 11-16-2012, 22:17   #13
mjkeat

OP, I would get the most value/quality as you can for your money. The biggest value is Daniel Defense though they run slightly more than your stated $1K budget. Colt and BCM would be great choices within that budget.

Be careful who you take advice from. Some here think barrels attach to lower receivers.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 22:44   #14
Cole125
Silver Membership

Colt 6920, unquestionably the best AR15 for a grand.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 22:57   #15
Brian Brazier

Mjkeat, how can going well over a grand be a good value if thats what he s saying his budget is? For a plinking and home defense a S&W Sport, Doublestar M4 would be well under a grand, and be completley reliable. I am have no experiance with Stag, or Bushmaster, but there are plenty of people who own and love them as well. DPMS use to be the rifle everyone suggested people on a budget buy. How come everytime someone whats advise on a rifle, Daniel Defense, LMT, Colt, and BCM are the only viable options?

Last edited by Brian Brazier; 11-16-2012 at 22:57..
Brian Brazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 23:13   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brazier View Post
Mjkeat, how can going well over a grand be a good value if thats what he s saying his budget is? For a plinking and home defense a S&W Sport, Doublestar M4 would be well under a grand, and be completley reliable. I am have no experiance with Stag, or Bushmaster, but there are plenty of people who own and love them as well. DPMS use to be the rifle everyone suggested people on a budget buy. How come everytime someone whats advise on a rifle, Daniel Defense, LMT, Colt, and BCM are the only viable options?
Colts are available for under a grand if you shop around.
Old 11-16-2012, 23:33   #17
mjkeat

doubled...........

Last edited by mjkeat; 11-16-2012 at 23:42..
Old 11-16-2012, 23:36   #18
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brazier View Post
I didn't recommend that he goes over his budget. I said DD is the best value. When you add up the parts that make up a DD, purchasing the complete AR is a good value.

People recommend those others because they reliably/consistently put out quality ARs. DPMS may have put out good stuff at one time or they may have not had much competition so they just appeared to be quality. The same could go w/ the companies that are considered GTG now. Who knows. Improvement is good. If DPMS changed things around and put out the best product, I'd own a DPMS.
Old 11-16-2012, 23:50   #19
Sporaticus
Aw sheet main

"Recommend". "Advice"? I think someone takes themselves too seriously. Especially when they use words like "rampid".

We are a bunch of nobody's on the internet having a discussion. Who is so full of themselves to think they are someone to "recommend" or give advice? All we can do, is offer our own perspective.

I guess it's different if you want to be the board guru and feel important. And that would explain always having to get the last word in, and rebut each and every differing opinion.

Advice? Not from this crowd.

Quote:

Old 11-17-2012, 00:24   #20
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporaticus View Post
"Recommend". "Advice"? I think someone takes themselves too seriously. Especially when they use words like "rampid".

We are a bunch of nobody's on the internet having a discussion. Who is so full of themselves to think they are someone to "recommend" or give advice? All we can do, is offer our own perspective.

I guess it's different if you want to be the board guru and feel important. And that would explain always having to get the last word in, and rebut each and every differing opinion.

Advice? Not from this crowd.
And what is the point of your post? If you don't like internet forums, fine, but go away and stop trolling here.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote